Windows Update For XP

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Windows Update For XP

Post by hlewton »

Anyone know what is going on with the Microsoft Update site for XP. It just seems to sit there and spin its wheel for ever (it went for over an hour and would still be going had I not canceled it I am guessing) and not find any updates even though I know there are some that are available. It has been getting progressively worse the last few months today it is not finding them at all using that site. Any ideas what is going on and how to get around it. I do have automatic update notifications turned on that is how I know there are updates available but that doesn't always seem to function well either lately that is why I have always chosen to go to the Windows Update Site and get the updates.

Thanks.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Re: Windows Update For XP

Post by HansV »

If you start Task Manager and look at the Processes tab, is CPU usage high while Windows Update is spinning its wheels? If so, which process is the culprit?
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

They are all at 0 except svchost.exe at 50 and system Idle Process at 49
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Memory usage of svchost.exe is high at 169,248 if that matters.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

This appears to be a known problem - see Microsoft to fix Windows XP update SVCHOST redline issue 'soon'. Apparently there's not much you can do about it at the moment, except be patient.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thank you Hans.
Regards,
hlewton

DougCuk
NewLounger

Post by DougCuk »

Microsoft stated last month - November 2013 - that the Internet Explorer updates are treated differently for all the other updates - which is causing the XP Update engine to run so slowly as to appear frozen. You see an SVCHOST process at full CPU load - 100% or 50% or 25% depending on how many CPU cores you have. This is just a wrapper containing the Automatic Updates service.

If the Update service detects you do not have the LATEST IE update it starts to search the whole IE updates tree to see what you need - instead of just offering the current cumulative update for your system. But if you manually install the update yourself the Update service finds Internet Explorer is fully updated and doesn't search for any IE updates. But until MS fix the issue it will keep happening each time a new update is released - unless you deactivate Automatic Updates and avoid searching Windows/Microsoft Updates website.

MS said they intended to prune the IE updates database so that only the key Cumulative updates were offered when a search was initiated - this didn't happen in time for the November updated as intended and obviously has not happened or worked in time for the December update either!

Download and install the latest Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer - KB2898785 - December 10, 2013
For Windows XP 32bit here are the direct download links:

IE6: WindowsXP-KB2898785-x86-ENU.exe
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... x?id=41458" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

IE7: IE7-WindowsXP-KB2898785-x86-ENU.exe
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... x?id=41442" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

IE8: IE8-WindowsXP-KB2898785-x86-ENU.exe
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... x?id=41404" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For full version listing see:
MS13-097 Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer: December 10, 2013
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/secu ... n/ms13-097" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Welcome to Eileen's Lounge and thanks for the detailed explanation!
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Yes DougCuk thank you. I will try that link for I.E. 8 since I still have 2 more machines to update.
Regards,
hlewton

baronv
NewLounger

Post by baronv »

Download the IE security patch that DougCuk earlier posted. That has helped me the last couple of Windows Update on XP when the issue started happening for me. Anytime now that there's an IE update as part of a Windows Update, I won't be able to get an update to show and IE just hangs up while my system processes hits 100%.

But now I've learned to download the IE security patch directly and after installing it and then rebooting, I'm then able to apply the rest of the Windows Updates and my system resources goes back to normal.

hlewton wrote:Anyone know what is going on with the Microsoft Update site for XP. It just seems to sit there and spin its wheel for ever (it went for over an hour and would still be going had I not canceled it I am guessing) and not find any updates even though I know there are some that are available. It has been getting progressively worse the last few months today it is not finding them at all using that site. Any ideas what is going on and how to get around it. I do have automatic update notifications turned on that is how I know there are updates available but that doesn't always seem to function well either lately that is why I have always chosen to go to the Windows Update Site and get the updates.

Thanks.

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

baronv wrote:Download the IE security patch that DougCuk earlier posted. That has helped me the last couple of Windows Update on XP when the issue started happening for me. Anytime now that there's an IE update as part of a Windows Update, I won't be able to get an update to show and IE just hangs up while my system processes hits 100%.

But now I've learned to download the IE security patch directly and after installing it and then rebooting, I'm then able to apply the rest of the Windows Updates and my system resources goes back to normal.
So If I am understanding what you just said I still need to go to the Windows Update site and get the remaining updates after installing the one at that link. Is that correct? Also what about next month would I still use the same link again? Sorry but I am a bit confused.

Thanks.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

After installing the latest cumulative security update for Internet Explorer, you should indeed visit the Microsoft/Windows Update site and install the updates it suggests (it shouldn't hang now).
The same link won't be useful next month, since if there is a new cumulative update for Internet Explorer, it will have a different KB number and hence a different URL. It's far from certain there will be a new update next month, but if there is, hopefully someone will post a link to it.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thanks Hans I was kind of thinking that the link would change and I do hope someone will post the new link if there is one.
Regards,
hlewton

DougCuk
NewLounger

Post by DougCuk »

Doug Neal from the Microsoft Updates team has posted an update here:
http://marc.info/?l=patchmanagement&m=1 ... 324972&w=2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The conclusion of his email is as follows:
We're working diligently to release changes ........ that will comprehensively solve this problem. It's a top priority. And the right (and smartest) people are on it. And as this problem has become more prevalent, we're working to provide a KB article that will publicly describe the issue so customers can discover it via searches and the recommended guidance. Unfortunately, there is no 'fix' or quick workaround that can be applied at this time as we concurrently work to provide a backend fix and some guidance on the real, best solution.

I appreciate your patience. And want to let you know we're working through the holiday to provide the right fix as soon as possible. As you can imagine, we don't have an ETA. And we want to make sure the next fix is the last and comprehensively solves this for our customers.

Doug Neal - Microsoft Update (MU)
I will try and remember to come back here - and post any further updates - but you could also check these two threads where I am posting:
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=353289" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ ... ng-100-cpu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Check the latest postings on the later pages for most current info.

Happy Xmas to All

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Thanks for the update!
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »