Default database location .net

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Default database location .net

Post by agibsonsw »

Hello. (VB 2008 Express)
I have a question concerning the following code:

myConnection = New SqlConnection("server=(localhost);uid=sa;pwd=;database=pubs")

Where is the default location for the database set? I could put the full path in the statement, but wonder if I can set a default path instead?

Thanks, Andy.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Default database location .net

Post by HansV »

I think you should use either server=(local) or server=localhost (without parentheses). This uses the SQL Server engine on your machine; it "knows" where the databases are, you don't have to specify a path.
Best wishes,
Hans

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Thank you, I'll try this.
I notice that the Sql Server has a Data Path which is the same as the Install Path, but hopefully it will find my database (in a different path).
Ta, Andy.

Not quite there yet.
I'm using SQL Server Express; did I need to type something other than localhost?
Andy.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

.. don't worry, I've got it running. (I added a data source using the visual tools and 'borrowed' the connection string for my code.)
Andy.