Upgrading to IE 8 from IE 6

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Upgrading to IE 8 from IE 6

Post by Skitterbug »

I see there has been some discussion about upgrading to IE 8 with mostly good reviews.And that's pleasant to know.

One of the problems my user is trying to solve is the printed output of small text when she tries to print selected parts from a web page. I think this is a problem with IE perhaps? Or am I remembering this wrongly? Has this issue been resolved by IE 8? Can the text be enlarged or at least printed in a decent size font? I haven't downloaded IE 8 yet on my PC to see what I can figure out about it. I thought I would "fish for some answers" first! :grin:
TIA!
Skitterbug :coffeetime:
A cup of coffee shared with a friend is happiness tasted and time well spent.

JoeP
SilverLounger

Re: Upgrading to IE 8 from IE 6

Post by JoeP »

The default for IE8 is "shrink to fit". Whether or not you can control the setting permanently depends on the operating system.

Check for the existence of HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\PageSetup. If it exists you can change "Shrink_to_Fit" to NO to disable it in IE.

Joe
Joe

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

JoeP wrote:The default for IE8 is "shrink to fit". Whether or not you can control the setting permanently depends on the operating system.
Check for the existence of HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\PageSetup. If it exists you can change "Shrink_to_Fit" to NO to disable it in IE.
Joe
Are you saying this modification works for IE6 as well?

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

I do not believe it does. I think it is only for IE8 and only on certain OSes (maybe on Win7).

Joe
Joe

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

JoeP wrote:I do not believe it does. I think it is only for IE8 and only on certain OSes (maybe on Win7). Joe
This is an XP system. My user doesn't print from the web too often but enough that the small print is irritating to her. I'll see if she will be agreeable to the update of IE after she's used her new computer for a while and then I'll do as you suggest! Thanks for your sharing of knowledge! :yep:

Doc Watson
4StarLounger

Post by Doc Watson »

Skitterbug wrote:
JoeP wrote:I do not believe it does. I think it is only for IE8 and only on certain OSes (maybe on Win7). Joe
This is an XP system. My user doesn't print from the web too often but enough that the small print is irritating to her. I'll see if she will be agreeable to the update of IE after she's used her new computer for a while and then I'll do as you suggest! Thanks for your sharing of knowledge! :yep:
Skitter, there's always copy and paste to WordPad or Word. I do that so I get just the part of the page I want and don't waste ink on ads and such, and I can edit before printing.
If life gives you melons,
You may be dyslexic.

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

With regard to printing Stuff from IE, I found the following:

View -> Text Size and you will see another > this will let you change the text size on the viewable page.

After looking around in IE - here is how you can increase the print size when printing:
From your menu bar, click Tools and then select Internet Options
On the General tab, click the Accessibility button
Check the Ignore font sizes specified on webpages.

So, basically, display the text larger, then print it after having made that Accessibility change (once only)...
John Gray

Venison is quiet deer, and quite dear.

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

Doc Watson wrote:Skitter, there's always copy and paste to WordPad or Word. I do that so I get just the part of the page I want and don't waste ink on ads and such, and I can edit before printing.
Thanks for this reminder Doc! I've used this many times myself. I wonder if I can get my user to think about this method. She knows one way to do things and doesn't like to become confused. :grin:
John Gray wrote:With regard to printing Stuff from IE, I found the following:
View -> Text Size and you will see another > this will let you change the text size on the viewable page.
After looking around in IE - here is how you can increase the print size when printing:
From your menu bar, click Tools and then select Internet Options
On the General tab, click the Accessibility button
Check the Ignore font sizes specified on webpages.

So, basically, display the text larger, then print it after having made that Accessibility change (once only)...
Thanks John. I'll need to "play" with this idea and see if I can adapt it to work for her. It has to be simple to be doable! :yep: