Creating A Rescue CD in XPP - SP3

Argus
GoldLounger

Re: Creating A Rescue CD in XPP - SP3

Post by Argus »

hlewton wrote:WOW that was quick. I see that others have had the same type of ejecting problem that I did using Linux. One of the solutions was to use the paper clip as I did but for at least one person it worked while the computer was still running. It did not for me so I had to shut it down.
Good to hear. I did not search for the other problem, but thought it might be a start; and as I was using a virtual machine I had some difficulties simulating the situation. Guess I would have needed a virtual paper clip. :laugh:

The Kaspersky site (I haven't looked at their forum) only mentioned some problem that might occur when running on a USB memory; it's possible that an updated version of the rescue disk might work better; or perhaps, until then, some tweaking as I mentioned above.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Well instead of creating a new topic I think it appropriate to ask this here. I am again trying to download a large rescue file to an USB device. Again it was creating a "filename.exe.part" file of some amount of bytes along with a "filename.exe" file of 0 bytes just like I described further up in this topic and got help with before. It seems that every time this happens I am unsuccessful downloading these rescue files using Firefox as my default browser but can get the download fine if I switch back to IE 8 and then download it. Any ides why this would be happening and/or suggestions to eliminate the problem while still keeping Firefox as my default browser?
Regards,
hlewton

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

I've seen that sometimes, with smaller files, PDFs etc. Or rather, when I go to a temp folder I sometimes find a ".part" file. (Could perhaps be something left behind by the PDF viewer in Fx, because I can't recall files not being downloaded as they should.)

Could it be some timing issue; perhaps some anti-virus software interfering with the download process in Fx, or when it's about to finish the download (or since we are talking Fx, some add-in, since they come in all flavours)? I know that some have a fixed download cap, or otherwise would like to restrict downloads, but can you try some different files? If it is possible to download that file from different places, mirrors, you could perhaps try some other site.

Above were my first thoughts, I then had to go away from the computer, and before posting I ran a very quick search and this came up:
Firefox is adding a .part extension to my downloads and they won't open [Mozilla support forum]. So apart from trying different files, also check the setting for AV scans.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Are you using the latest version of Fx?

At any rate, whenever I DL a large file there is always a named 0 byte file AND a .part file, DURING the DL. When it completes, the zero byte file becomes the full downloaded file and the .part disappears as it should.
I know this isn't helping you but it does appear to be a normal condition with Fx.
Have you checked some of the links that Argus supplied?
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Not sure what I would change in my anti-virus program and would sure be afraid to disable it when downloading any file. The file size of the completed download was in excess of 136,000 KB and the most that got downloaded before getting a message something to the effect of not being able to download the file was only about 25,000 KB. I let it go 4 times and got that as the biggest downloaded file still with the .part extension on it until I used IE 8 and got the entire file. I tried 4 different folders counting the one that I eventually got success from and that was on an USB stick which I needed it on to make it portable. Nothing I tried in Firefox worked, very similar to the last time I had this same problem. I did not see a mirror site to try downloading from but this was an entirely different site then the last time I had this problem. This site was for a Vipre (anti-virus) rescue disk and before it was for a Kaspersky rescue disk. According to what I found on the Internet my version of Firefox is the latest available to use with Windows XP. I have downloaded quite a few files using Firefox's default download folder and even using a folder of my choice but seems when I try to get these rescue files is when I get the problem and they are always large files. I did check out those links and links within that link but found nothing I could use from it. Possibly I missed something but I tried to read them carefully.

Thanks
Regards,
hlewton

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

I agree with Bob that it's normal MO with Firefox.

The setting mentioned and discussed at Mozilla disables or enables the on-demand scan at the end of the download; i.e. Fx invoking an AV scan. As mentioned in a KB article, one of the links at the support thread, and as I alluded to, there could be some delay before the file is saved, caused by the scan, or, apparently, in some cases the file is not saved properly. Direct link to the KB: this section.

One should always have real-time AV software, I agree with you about that; in the best worlds, this will give protection when one is trying to access a file; and, as you know, it is also possible to do an on-demand scan of the file after download.

I agree that it's perhaps not the best solution (to disable the Fx setting, but then some argue it's just for show), but as long as there is real-time protection, and with possibility to do on-demand scans, there shouldn't be any concern. After all, the AV software doing the initial scan, invoked by Fx, is the same one doing a manual on-demand scan. If it doesn't find anything in the first case it won't find anything in the second, if everything works as expected. The difference is that with the first scan, at the end of the download, it seems to get in the way of Fx saving the file.

It's possible that some AV software has problems with this, or with some configurations (CPU speed, RAM etc.). Could perhaps also be something with permissions for the folder, or being downloaded to a USB memory, but it seems like you have tried different folders, and also have had success with smaller files.

It's not a giant leap to also assume that larger files takes a bit longer to scan, thus there could be quite some delay, causing problems as mentioned initially. You could do some tests, and if it works with the Fx setting disabled, it points to the AV software being the culprit (given the config).

It's a long time since I used IE, so I don't know if it also triggers an AV scan; if it doesn't it may explain why it works without problems using IE. And then, if IE doesn't launch the AV, it wouldn't matter much if it's disabled in Fx.

(In the support thread, mentioned above, Jefferson also linked to a general article about download problems, and I guess you have looked at that one as well.)

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Starting in Firefox 3.0.6 and in Firefox 3.5.x you can bypass the Security Zone Policy check. by using about:config to add a new Boolean preference, browser.download.manager.skipWinSecurityPolicyChecks and set it to true.

Next quote from different article.

This article describes the preference browser.download.manager.scanWhenDone. To add, delete, or modify this preference, you will need to edit your configuration — do not edit this article.
Not knowing enough about what I am reading and very leery of making the wrong decision I am wondering if skipping the first suggestion about adding a new Booleen preference and just changing the "browser.download.manager.scanWhenDone" preference to False would accomplish what I am trying to achieve. Sorry but when I feel uncomfortable about anything I know nothing about I have to ask questions until I feel comfortable enough to try something new.

Thanks.
Regards,
hlewton

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

You're welcome.
Your first quote isn't from the section I linked to.

I think you are talking about this one:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Unable_to_sav ... _-_Windows" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think it's about when they introduced the: Fx-honours-your-Windows-Security-zone-settings thing; that is, the zone settings in the Control Panel app, or IE, which most people assume is only for IE. The common solution was to check the IE, Internet, settings. As mentioned if the option: "Launching applications and unsafe files" was disabled it did not work with downloads in Fx.

After that comes your quote, under "Bypass Windows Security Policy check".

It also mentions the IE settings, resetting or tweaking, as per above, but all that is for another problem.

And anyhow, after your quote it says: "This preference was removed in Firefox 3.6."

They then mention the "browser.download.manager.scanWhenDone" setting; in this section as well, I assume, because it does two things; both mentioned in the page you got your second quote from: Browser.download.manager.scanWhenDone.

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thanks for the reply.
Regards,
hlewton

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Hi again,
I think the best solution in the short term, if it is related to the AV scan triggered by Fx, is to change the setting mentioned above, ...scanWhenDone. It is also very easy to test, and it's safe, since nothing is done with the file after it's been downloaded, and there is always real-time protection in the background.

I don't want to point finger at any AV software, I guess all of the big ones are probably more or less equal; but there can be some small differences; how "aggressive" they are, even performance (load on RAM etc.) which can cause troubles when the browser is saving a file. It's also possible that this changes over time; an update to the search (scan) engine in the AV software could perhaps change this.

In the long term I guess one has to decide if one wants this "service", a scan after something has been downloaded, and if it doesn't work with the AV software look at some alternatives.

I can't help but notice that one of the these, Kaspersky, a very good AV software as I understand it, created some problems a couple of years ago with some speed tests on the web.
http://blog.ookla.com/2011/05/02/the-kaspersky-effect/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
... an issue we have had with some software security clients. They can intercept traffic coming into the web browser during the test which causes erroneously high speeds on occasion. This is because the security software would download content, inspect it and then hand it over to our application at very high speeds. The only security client we know of that does this out of the box with no changes is Kaspersky.
I know nothing about how this software works, or did, but it seems like it is eager to grab a file and inspect it thoroughly (which is good), and then hand it back to the OS or other software. But if being too thorough creates problems when saving something, it can’t be considered good performance. I also don't know if this is the AV used on the machine you mention, but if it is, it's possible that what they saw with some speed test may cause problems with large files.

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

I did change that setting and tried downloading the file once more. Guess what! It downloaded perfectly. I then, just for the fun of it, manually scanned it with my Anti-Virus program which took all of about 5 seconds at the most. I guess from what I am understanding when you are talking about real time protection that I may as well just leave the setting at "false." I hope I am understanding that correctly.

Thanks so much again.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Disable virus scanning in Firefox preferences - Windows

In Firefox 3 and above, Firefox launches your installed anti-virus program to scan files when the download completes. [31] In some cases, this causes a substantial delay or hang while the file is scanned. [32] [33] In other cases, the file is not saved after the scan completes. [34] [35] [36] You can disable this feature by setting the preference browser.download.manager.scanWhenDone to false in about:config. [37] Note: If the Download Manager appears to be stuck scanning for viruses, try closing and re-opening the Downloads window instead of disabling the preference. [38] [39]
Sorry but at the risk of sounding really stupid I have to ask a question. The above quote, I believe, is the direct link you gave me and believe it or not I did try to read everything and understand it all. That is where the problem comes in because I am having a difficult time understanding some of this. Since the setting, as far as I understand it, is only supposed to invoked at the end of a download "scanWhenDone" why has it caused the download to not be complete? Is that what they are trying to say in this quote, "In other cases, the file is not saved after the scan completes.?" If so I still do not understand how it would happen before the file is totally downloaded. There is no way for me to tell "If the Download Manager appears to be stuck scanning for viruses," because there is no progress bar in either Firefox or IE 8. The only indication I get is either when it is complete or it has failed. Because of its size it takes a while until I see either of these messages.
Regards,
hlewton

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

hlewton wrote:I did change that setting and tried downloading the file once more. Guess what! It downloaded perfectly. I then, just for the fun of it, manually scanned it with my Anti-Virus program which took all of about 5 seconds at the most. I guess from what I am understanding when you are talking about real time protection that I may as well just leave the setting at "false." I hope I am understanding that correctly.

Thanks so much again.
That's what I would do! ( just leave the setting at "false. )
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

OK thanks.
Regards,
hlewton