outlook express and spellchecker

jaystarter
3StarLounger

outlook express and spellchecker

Post by jaystarter »

There are lots of links on google about this example Apparently using outlook express on windows XP with MS office 2007 means the spellchecker is no longer available, and reverts to French with only this available in the language settings. It seems most people in this situation are downloading a stand alone spellchecker that integrates with Outlook Express successfully, but this is in American English. http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details ... or_oe.html

The person I am trying to help is reluctant to change to Windows Live Mail or G Mail as I suggested and wants to continue using Outlook Express so....does anyone have any recommendations for a UK English spellchecker preferably free that will do the job?
Jeff

HansV
Administrator

Re: outlook express and spellchecker

Post by HansV »

Apparently it's possible to make the spell checker from MajorGeeks use UK English by adding a registry entry: see UK English Spell Checker for Outlook Express. (But if the person you're trying to help doesn't want to install Windows Live Mail, they may not want to edit the registry either...)
Best wishes,
Hans

jaystarter
3StarLounger

Post by jaystarter »

Interesting, not sure I would be comfortable messing with registry either but worth a bit more research. Thanks.
Jeff

jaystarter
3StarLounger

Post by jaystarter »

HansV wrote:Apparently it's possible to make the spell checker from MajorGeeks use UK English by adding a registry entry: see UK English Spell Checker for Outlook Express. (But if the person you're trying to help doesn't want to install Windows Live Mail, they may not want to edit the registry either...)
Having had a look at this link and looking on my Windows 7 PC I find the Windows Live Mail Spelling setting is set to UK English and delving down to the said program file the language is 1033 which according to them should be US English. Confusing. If I write an email and enter C O L O R it does correct to COLOUR, very confusing :scratch:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jeff

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Windows Live Mail is different from Outlook Express.

Outlook Express relied on the spell check files used by Office 2003 (or earlier). By installing Office 2007, these file were updated to a version that Outlook Express (dating from 1991) can't use. So after installing Office 2007, spell checking in Outlook Express is broken.

Windows Live Mail can use these newer files, so spell checking will work there with Office 2007 (or later) installed.
Best wishes,
Hans

jaystarter
3StarLounger

Post by jaystarter »

I understand it now, thanks
Jeff