Move items within desktop Folder

uncle
3StarLounger

Move items within desktop Folder

Post by uncle »

I have an Audio folder and within it is a word document. Have been trying to move the doc to the top of the list. I was able to move it, somehow, to about 2/3 way up via dragging it, but am stuck there. Tried to move audio files below it, nothing moved.
Any hints? (Move here in context menu didn't move it)
Thank you.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Re: Move items within desktop Folder

Post by stuck »

Have you tried using cut and paste to move the file to it's new destination?

Ken

uncle
3StarLounger

Post by uncle »

Thanks, Ken, but there is no Paste option in context menu, only Copy.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Yes there is, it's the little icon at the top of the context menu.

Or use cntrl c then cntrl v

Ken

uncle
3StarLounger

Post by uncle »

Thanks, Ken, but there is no Paste option in context menu, only Copy.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Did you really mean to repeat yourself? If so, I'll repeat myself, with pictures and more words this time...
Step 1) RIGHT click on a file inside my Windows 11 Music folder:
Screenshot 2024-02-29 182927.png
Step 2) Click on the cut icon, which is the pair of scissors at the left hand end of the very top row of the context menu
Step 3) In Explorer's left hand pane, navigate to my Desktop and RIGHT click in the right hand pane
Screenshot 2024-02-29 183136.png
Step 4) Click on the paste icon, which is the only icon on the top row of the context menu

Ken
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

uncle
3StarLounger

Post by uncle »

No, Ken, did not mean to repeat myself. Perhaps I didn't make myself clear at the beginning: I want to move the file within the same folder.
After experimenting with other Folder's files, it seems that option -move files within the folder - is not available.

uncle
3StarLounger

Post by uncle »

From Microsoft site I found:
"You can change the size of the icons, or arrange them in different orders (by date, by name alphabetically, by size), but you cannot drag-and-drop them to arbitrary locations manually (only sort them in a different orders). The arbitrary arrangement capability was removed many years ago and is not possible to do any more. Sorry for the bad news."
(https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... b068dcb8e9)
Sorry I wasted your time. I should have searched more diligently before I posted....

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

uncle wrote:
29 Feb 2024, 19:21
...I want to move the file within the same folder...
My turn to apologise, I didn't appreciate that all you were trying to do was change the order in which the files were listed.

I never knew ever possible to reorder files in a random / arbitrary manner. In donkeys years of using File Explorer I think I've only ever listed files alphabetically, by date modified or by type. If I want files to appear at the very top I add a prefix like ~ or # to their name. If I want them at the bottom I'll use z as the prefix.

Ken

uncle
3StarLounger

Post by uncle »

Thanks, Ken. You did help: I had forgotten about using prefixes.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

uncle, you might try adding a number before or after the file names then sort the names. Of course, you will have to figure out the order you want them to be in after the sort before putting the prefix number (or letter) before the file name.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

DocAElstein
4StarLounger

Post by DocAElstein »

Numbers prefix at the start work Ok for me in the explorer window to get a nice order, sorted by name, ( sorting by clicking on name at the top of the column, the column header, when in traditional detail view), but then those numbers give strange effects sometimes when I use the files elsewhere. The alphabet prefix in the name works best for me
a
c
d
f
h

A lot of the date properties are known to be bit wonky, but the change date as an exception I find consistently works well across all operating systems. If you are making things in the required order, then click on the change date at the top of the column ( the column header ) and the things always sort into the correct made date order for me. – No typo there: I consistently find that the change date is a very reliable indication of the made date. ( The actual made date property is one of the wonky ones )
( change date is never a default property showing one for me, I have to right click on any property when in detail view, and find and check it, ( as well as unchecking half the default properties that are rärely the ones I want, Lol ) )
Alan
I seriously don’t ever try to annoy. Maybe I am just the kid that missed being told about the King’s new magic suit, :(

PJ_in_FL
5StarLounger

Post by PJ_in_FL »

Use these symbols to control the order of files sorted by name by appending these in front of the file name. This list is from ordered in the sequence Windows Explorer displays the files from top to bottom.

Code: Select all

!
#
$
%
&
(
)
'
-
;
@
[
]
^
_
`
{
}
~
¢
£
¤
¥
+
=
§
Sorry gents of foreign lands, but the American dollar sign ($) appears to have primacy over other currencies.
PJ in (usually sunny) FL