What Happened to Copy Path?

BobH
UraniumLounger

What Happened to Copy Path?

Post by BobH »

Windows 10 File Explorer ribbon has a 'copy path' option:
File expl ribbon win10.PNG
that seems to have gone missing in Windows 11. I've only just started with Windows 11 (by accident while accepting a Windows update without paying close attention); so it might be that there is an option to change the menus that I don't know about. Is it possible to get a ribbon in File Explorer more like the one in Windows 10? I can't get it to display a Menu Bar. Is that possible?

:cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

Rebel
4StarLounger
Location: Recently moved to Bracebridge - in the heart of Muskoka.

Re: What Happened to Copy Path?

Post by Rebel »

Depending on the file you select, clicking on the "..." will open some new options:
CopyPath1.png
CopyPath2.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John :canada:
A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

BobH wrote:
31 Jan 2024, 00:09
...Is it possible to get a ribbon in File Explorer more like the one in Windows 10?...
You could try ExplorerPatcher. Read about it here:
    https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/detail ... tcher.html
If you'd rather not download it from there, the developer site is on GitHub, here:
    https://github.com/valinet/ExplorerPatcher

When I first got my Win 11 laptop it was one of the first things I installed. Note though it does not auto-update. This means it might just stop working following one of the regular monthly update from MS. If that does happen, the fix is simple, revisit the developer website and download and install the latest version.

When my Win 11 laptop came back from Lenovo, after its in-warranty battery replacement, everything was completely factory reset. As yet I've not bothered to reinstall ExplorerPatcher. Mainly because I'm still assessing the (in)effectiveness of the battery replacement and so I don't want anything non-standard running, lest that gives Lenovo something to blame for the equally dire performance of this new battery.

Also, using third party utilities like this to bend the current version of Windows into behaving like a previous version of Windows is always going to be like pushing string. Irritating though it may be, in the long run you just have to put up with MS Knows BestTM and accept the way things are now.

Ken

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thanks for the information. It's good to know that 'copy path' didn't get deprecated.

I fear that I do not like Win 11. I thought I could go back to Windows 10, but following the instructions I've found so far have not worked. It has not been 10 days yet; so I don't know why the options don't work.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

BobH wrote:
31 Jan 2024, 23:16
...I fear that I do not like Win 11...
:hmmn: interesting. Apart from some annoyances with File Explorer I've found Win 11 virtually indistinguishable from Win 10.

Ken

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The initial release of Windows 11 had more annoyances, but several have been addressed in the mean time.
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

stuck wrote:
01 Feb 2024, 11:09
:hmmn: interesting. Apart from some annoyances with File Explorer I've found Win 11 virtually indistinguishable from Win 10.
Ken, I'm with you. I found the changes in Win11 to be just as annoying as the changes introduced in Win10. :evilgrin:
Cheers, Chris
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
01 Feb 2024, 12:01
...I found the changes in Win11 to be just as annoying as the changes introduced in Win10...
If by that you mean that, as long as you move the Win 11 start menu to the left (and doing that is a built-in / no third party utility needed option), Win 11 doesn't look that different to Win 10 and so Win 11 / Win 10 share the same annoyances compared to earlier version of Windows then, I agree.

Ken

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I avoided Windows 11 for as long as I could. I found the differences annoying for a few weeks till I got used to them. Now I don't notice them.
StuartR

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

I'm finding those annoyances coupled with problems with several applications that I've used for years (Firefox, Thunderbird . . . )
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Whereas every application I've used on Win 11 has worked without any problems. Even ancient stuff like that's not supposed to run on Win 10 but does.

Rebel
4StarLounger

Post by Rebel »

stuck wrote:
02 Feb 2024, 09:49
Whereas every application I've used on Win 11 has worked without any problems. Even ancient stuff like that's not supposed to run on Win 10 but does.
And I've had the same experience. I've had absolutely no problems running any of my previously installed applications. And like StuartR, I was also annoyed with the differences between Windows 10 and Windows 11, but after using Windows 11 for a few months, I can't even remember what some of those annoyances were.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Rebel wrote:
02 Feb 2024, 15:05
... I can't even remember what some of those annoyances were.
Undoubtedly true. :clapping:

Nonetheless, each one the the annoyances that you found cost you some time, at least while you shook your head to reset your memory.
The cost in time, especially for apparently useless changes (the many different names for Windows file explorer, ...) and changes where Notepad or Paintbrush MSPaint is rewritten dropping some of the functionality of the basic menus (File) and/or shortcut keys ...

Then consider the time spent in many forums, including this one, with my post THIRTEEN posts on the topic ...

Cheers, Chris

Rebel
4StarLounger

Post by Rebel »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
02 Feb 2024, 15:35
Then consider the time spent in many forums, including this one, with my post THIRTEEN posts on the topic ...
I don't consider a minor (and forgettable) annoyance at some (in my opinion) inconsequential change over which I have no control, as "a cost of my time". Quite frankly Chris, at my age, I'm grateful that I still have the time and the ability to learn new procedures, be "annoyed" at them (if I so choose) or simply accept these "annoyances" as a part of change and move forward.

As for "the time spent in many forums" (with my previous initial post being the TWELFTH on the topic), I don't regard this as a "cost of my time", but rather the luxury of being able to interact with other users who may happen to share the same interests as me. :evilgrin:

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Rebel wrote:
02 Feb 2024, 16:43
As for "the time spent in many forums" (with my previous initial post being the TWELFTH on the topic), I don't regard this as a "cost of my time", but rather the luxury of being able to interact with other users who may happen to share the same interests as me. :evilgrin:
Rebel, I certainly agree with the time spent contributing to a storehouse of knowledge being time well spent.
(One of the reasons I like Eileen's Lounge is that I can use it as a reference tool to encyclopedic knowledge from the minds of people I know, rather than a somewhat anonymous source).

That said, can we agree that time spent (for example in a thread such as this) is time that need not have been spent had (in this case) had Microsoft not have wobbled?
Cheers, Chris

Rebel
4StarLounger

Post by Rebel »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
03 Feb 2024, 13:50
That said, can we agree that time spent (for example in a thread such as this) is time that need not have been spent had (in this case) had Microsoft not have wobbled?
No. I don't "NEED" to spend time in any discussion Chris. And quite frankly, if you consider this as time that "need not have been spent", then DON'T. I don't understand why you feel compelled to waste your time participating in these discussions (except of course to criticize Microsoft?).

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Microsoft gets bashed for whatever UI changes they make or don't make. On one hand, people complain about the complexity of menus and ribbons in various apps. On the other hand, people complain when changes are made to simplify the UI. I understand that habit and muscle memory can be frustrating to change but give it a few weeks. I agree with StuartR, I barely notice the changes now.
Joe

PJ_in_FL
5StarLounger

Post by PJ_in_FL »

BobH wrote:
31 Jan 2024, 00:09
Windows 10 File Explorer ribbon has a 'copy path' option:File expl ribbon win10.PNG that seems to have gone missing in Windows 11. I've only just started with Windows 11 (by accident while accepting a Windows update without paying close attention); so it might be that there is an option to change the menus that I don't know about. Is it possible to get a ribbon in File Explorer more like the one in Windows 10? I can't get it to display a Menu Bar. Is that possible?

:cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
Or use a better file manager?

xplorer2, license holder since 2004.
PJ in (usually sunny) FL

Mico
NewLounger

Post by Mico »

Microsoft is often criticized for any alterations, whether they're implementing UI changes or maintaining the status quo. While some argue that the menus and ribbons in their applications are overly complex, others voice dissatisfaction when attempts are made to streamline the UI.