bitlocker or not?

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

bitlocker or not?

Post by stuck »

In the first instance, my new win 11 laptop will travel no further than the distance between the desk in my study and the sofa in my living room but eventually it will travel with me. When that time comes should I turn on Bitlocker?

NB None of my previous laptops have employed that level of security and I've never had any security problems. Even when we were in hick hotels / motels in New Zealand and I had on occasion had to log into my bank.

Ken

JoeP
SilverLounger

Re: bitlocker or not?

Post by JoeP »

Bitlocker is enabled on the PCs in my house. I do not notice any performance hit. To me, it is just another layer of security that I'd rather have and not need than need and not have. Also, I'd rather have it on now when it is a the forefront than have to remember to enable it later. Just be sure to keep a copy of the BitLocker recovery key outside the PC. Paper in a safe place is a good idea.
Joe

BobH
UraniumLounger

Re: bitlocker or not?

Post by BobH »

paper in several safe places preferably separated by miles is even better (spoken as an old IT auditor)
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs