Short-Date format - CUSTOM gone?

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Short-Date format - CUSTOM gone?

Post by ChrisGreaves »

I did a quick search and as far as I can see the "short date" format MM/DD/YY is gone from Control Panel.
Untitled.png
There used (I think) to be a "custom" format at the foot of drop-down lists.
I just checked in Win7 and the format MM/DD/YYYY exists in Win7, but not in Win11.

The bulk of the pages turned up by my search repeat "Click on the list and choose the one you want", but the one I need has been disappeared from view.
At least one of the pages recommends making changes to the registry; it seems like years since first we were warned not to tinker with the registry ...

These mindless changes annoy me. I have applications that have been based on the MM/DD/YYYY for ever so long.
I can't understand why, when MDaft decides that M/DD/YYYY is useful it should abandon MM/DD/YYYY.
How is dropping an option an improvement?

I know, I know, Feedback hub.
But first I wanted conformation that the old format really is gone.

It's been a long day ...
Thanks, Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

HansV
Administrator

Re: Short-Date format - CUSTOM gone?

Post by HansV »

You can type your preferred format in the box, even if it is not in the drop down list!
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:
14 Mar 2023, 20:19
You can type your preferred format in the box, even if it is not in the drop down list!
Untitled.png
Thank You Hans!!!

I suspect that I was looking in the wrong formats panel.
There is one under "Regional" and one under "Date Time", and I suspect there is another one lurking soemwhere.

Additionally, I take back every malicious word I've ever said against Microsoft.

But not the ones I have written. :evilgrin:

I am puzzled that not one of the pages I looked at mentioned "over-typing the current format". It was either (from the drop-down list" or "into the registry".

My word, I am certainly getting my moneys-worth from Eileen's Lounge this year, and the snow is not yet melted ...
Cheers, Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Although Windows 10 was introduced in 2015, Microsoft has still not completed the migration from Control Panel to the Settings app.
There are now several places where you can view/edit regional settings such as the date format.

1) In Start > Settings > Time & language, you can set a region, and this will automatically set the date and time formats to the default for that region.
You cannot customize the settings here.

2) In Control Panel > Clock and Region > Change date, time or number formats, you can select your preferred settings from drop down lists. You cannot enter other formats here.

3) By clicking Additional settings... in the Control Panel from 2), you can customize the formats by typing them.
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:
14 Mar 2023, 20:54
Although Windows 10 was introduced in 2015, Microsoft has still not completed the migration from Control Panel to the Settings app.
There are now several places where you can view/edit regional settings such as the date format.
Seriously, Hans, Thanks for these two confirmations.

I remember when I migrated WinXP-->> Win7 (probably 2013 or thereabouts) you telling me that Control Panel was being phased out. I certainly did not expect to see it when i powered up this Win11 beast earlier this month. Knowing little about MSoft Management, I would fire the team; we aren't getting any mileage out of them that matters.
Too, I have been confused by dates before, probably as far back as 1989 when I set up my first billing application (based on PCFile DOS-based relational database would you believe!) which suggests that I was on Win3.1

I have had a good night's sleep.

In an hour or two I will pluck up courage and get back to setting the beast on its four feet.

Thanks for your help and guidance.
Cheers, Chris

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

On my Win 11 Pro version 22621.1413, I can change the date format using Settings by going to Time and Language | Language and Region. Then in the Region section click on the down arrow on the extreme right in the Regional Format entry. That displays the current format with a Change Formats button at the bottom. Click on that button and change away.
Joe