Quick access toolbar-rename command

uncle
3StarLounger

Quick access toolbar-rename command

Post by uncle »

Edit command name (“tools calculate” to something shorter) From what I’ve researched, this doesn’t seem possible. Have I missed something? Thank you

HansV
Administrator

Re: Quick access toolbar-rename command

Post by HansV »

No, you cannot edit the caption of built-in commands.
Best wishes,
Hans

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

Here's a workaround: While you can't rename a built-in command, you can add a button to the Quick Access Toolbar for a macro and specify a name and an icon for it.

Start by adding a macro to the Normal.dotm template. The ToolsCalculate function is a member of the WordBasic object that encapsulates most or all of the old WordBasic language. The macro's name can be anything you like, but I chose to make it the same as the short name I want for the button. (I also put it into a module named "experiments", but you can use any module or create a new one just for this.)

Code: Select all

Sub Calc()
    WordBasic.ToolsCalculate ' put answer on status bar & clipboard
End Sub
Now use the File > Options > Quick Access Toolbar dialog to add a button for the macro.
1.jpg
The Modify button at the bottom of the right-side list will be enabled, and you can edit the name to what will show in the button's tooltip, and select an icon -- there's one that looks like a calculator.
2.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Excellent suggestion, Jay! :clapping:
Best wishes,
Hans

uncle
3StarLounger

Post by uncle »

Many thanks