Windows File Explorer Title Bar

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Windows File Explorer Title Bar

Post by hlewton »

Another change I don't like just took place over night. Please see the attachment in case I am not calling the Title Bar by the correct name. I searched and cannot find a way to change the color of the title bar, the area the red arrow is pointing to. I don't want a light or dark scheme change, I just want to change that bar back to Blue because its color now is too close to that of my desktop. Can I just change that bar's color and if so how?

Thanks
Bar.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Re: Windows File Explorer Title Bar

Post by HansV »

Try this:
Select Start > Settings.
Select Personalization.
Select Colors.
Turn off 'Transparency effects'.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thanks but that made it worse. The Title Bar turned white. This change has not hit my other computer yet so I am attaching a screenshot of it. You can see the Blue Title Bar and the word "Documents" on it and not on a Tab like the other screenshot above.
20201.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

I found this link Restore Win 10 File Explorer. However, I'm not sure it doesn't do more than I am looking for. It says, "Windows 11: How to Restore the Old File Explorer with Ribbon from Windows 10" I don't think I had a ribbon and not sure I ever did. My File Explorer, I believe, always looked like the attachment above. Should I have been seeing a ribbon when using File Explorer in Windows 10?
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The Explorer in the second screenshot doesn't have tabs, so the latest feature updates haven't been applied on that machine.

And yes, File Explorer in Windows 10 has a Ribbon, similar to those in Word etc., but you can collapse it.

S1933.png

Whether you want to go back is up to you. I tend to use Windows 'as is'. Some of the changes may be irritating or disorienting at first, but I get used to them.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:
29 Oct 2022, 14:09
The Explorer in the second screenshot doesn't have tabs, so the latest feature updates haven't been applied on that machine.

And yes, File Explorer in Windows 10 has a Ribbon, similar to those in Word etc., but you can collapse it.

S1933.png

Whether you want to go back is up to you. I tend to use Windows 'as is'. Some of the changes may be irritating or disorienting at first, but I get used to them.
I try to get used to them, especially when forced to do so. The new change makes the Title Bar's color too close to my desktop's color.

I don't seem to have that Expand/Collapse arrow on my File Explorer, the one that hasn't been updates yet. I have no idea why that is but I think you can see it isn't there in my attachment. Could it be because it is still opening File Explorer on a Win 11 computer.

I think I answered my own question. I turned on one of my Win 10 machines and File explorer is like you show in your attachment. I had forgotten about it having a ribbon. I think I like it that way better but will still give this new one a try, at least for a while. Not sure what Tabs will do for me since it is easy to open another instance of File Explorer.

Thanks
Regards,
hlewton

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

What color scheme did you select?
Joe

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

JoeP wrote:
29 Oct 2022, 20:43
What color scheme did you select?
I have the Light and Transparency chosen with Blue supposed to show up in Title Bars. They are still Blue in Word and my Outlook messages but File Explorer changed.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Well it is disappointing. I ran that reg file on one of the Win 11 machines to get the classic file explorer with the ribbon and it didn't change a thing.
Last edited by hlewton on 22 Mar 2024, 19:31, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Apparently there is something wrong with the downloaded registry file. I opened the registry file and here is what it says:Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Shell Extensions\Blocked]
"{e2bf9676-5f8f-435c-97eb-11607a5bedf7}"=""

Here again is the link to the site where it tells you how to use the Classic File Explorer with the ribbon. https://winbuzzer.com/2021/12/21/how-to ... 11-xcxwbt/ There are a couple things confusing to me and I am not sure what is going on. I don't understand where it says to type "Delete" and I don't think editing the registry manually the way they say to do produces the results in the reg file above. I don't know where the ="" after the } above comes from either since I don't see anything like it in the manual editing instructions.

Hans, I know I don't have to understand all the commands, but since running the registry hack didn't work, I assume something is amiss. When you get time will you please look over the text from the reg file I ran and see if you think it matches the results if I manually edited the registry as instructed from the link? If I do have to do a manual editing, what is the "Delete" they mention? I'm really not understanding that at all. Thanks
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The lines that you mention will create an empty entry as shown in the screenshot. But what it is supposed to do I have no idea.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:
30 Oct 2022, 08:06
The lines that you mention will create an empty entry as shown in the screenshot. But what it is supposed to do I have no idea.
Thanks for looking at it.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:
30 Oct 2022, 08:06
What it was supposed to do was bring back the classic file explorer with the ribbon. I found a much better tutorial located here Classic File Explorer Video. So I followed it to the registry key that was supposed to have been created when I ran that reg file and it was there. Since my machine did not give me the classic file explorer I have to stop there, I suppose. According to the video there is also a free Winaero Tweaker available to do the same thing but since the registry hack didn't work, I'm not going to try that.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thought I'd report back here on this just in case anyone is interested in the subject. I just found out from another support forum that I belong to that none of the methods or hacks work if you have Win 11 version 22H2 installed. Apparently they worked well with the previous version but not now. I will keep watching and hope eventually a new method or hack can be created.

I managed to run a Restore Point on the computer I tried the reg hack on and got it back to how it was before running that file.
Regards,
hlewton