Non Existent Folder in Windows 11 – Windows File Explorer

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Non Existent Folder in Windows 11 – Windows File Explorer

Post by hlewton »

I uninstalled iCloud because it caused serious issues with my Outlook, maybe because of the way I allowed it to install. Never-the-less it has been uninstalled using Revo Uninstaller Pro, so I think it was done as completely as possible. There is no mention of iCloud in the list of installed programs when using Revo or Windows Programs and Features.

Even after that uninstall the iCloud Drive and iCloud Photos folders still shows up when I open Windows File Explorer. Please see the first attachment. I followed a path to the C:\Users\my name\ and deleted the iCloud Photos folder. It still shows up in the Windows File Explorer when I open it. Please see the first attachment again. To confirm that the iCloud Photos folder was deleted, please see the second attachment.

Is there anything I can do to make this deleted folder not show up in Windows File Explorer? If there is I will then try to delete the iCloud Drive folder the same way.

Thanks
iCloud.jpg
iCloud-Gone.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Re: Non Existent Folder in Windows 11 – Windows File Explorer

Post by HansV »

Start RegEdit
Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace\{9C4E52E4-D29C-424F-AF99-527F4239D844}
Delete this key from the left-hand pane.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:
12 May 2022, 20:23
Start RegEdit
Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace\{9C4E52E4-D29C-424F-AF99-527F4239D844}
Will do. Thank you.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

hlewton wrote:
12 May 2022, 22:45
HansV wrote:
12 May 2022, 20:23
Start RegEdit
Will do. Thank you.
Hans, that key was not in my Registry. Please see attachment.
9C.jpg
I am using the Windows Snip to capture these attachments. I don't know why they are showing up so small. They look fine while I am saving them using Paint. I tried resizing it. Maybe this one will be a bit larger so it's easier to read.
9C1.jpg
It looks worse but I used the mouse wheel and expanded the first one and could see that the key, {9C4E52E4-D29C-424F-AF99-527F4239D844} doesn't exist in my Registry.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I have no further suggestions, sorry.
Best wishes,
Hans

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

hlewton wrote:
12 May 2022, 19:57
Is there anything I can do to make this deleted folder not show up in Windows File Explorer?
There appears to be plenty of suggestions out there - remove icloud photos folder from file explorer - Google Search
Leif

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Leif wrote:
13 May 2022, 07:05
hlewton wrote:
Is there anything I can do to make this deleted folder not show up in Windows File Explorer?
There appears to be plenty of suggestions out there - remove icloud photos folder from file explorer - Google Search
OK, thank you. I will check them out.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

I searched on how to change the line spacing in Windows File Explorer and did not find anything that seemed to be workable in it. I found this:
How do I reduce spacing in Windows Explorer 11?
If you wish to decrease the spacing between items/icons on File Explorer, check the checkbox “Decrease space between the items (Compact view)” in the View tab.
But, I don't see the,
Decrease space between the items (Compact view)” in the View tab.
option anywhere.

I also found this:
Click on the ellipsis button at the top of the screen and select Options. In the Folder Options interface, go to the View tab, and un-tick the box of Decrease space between items (compact view). Click Apply and then OK to save the change. Then, the spacing between files will go back to the classic style.
Again, I do not see any
ellipsis button

Maybe I am already using the Classic Style but the line spacing is too much space.

Any suggestions on how I can decrease the spacing between lines in Windows File Explorer? I use the "Details" selection when using File Explorer.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

This is what I see in Windows 11, in a folder displayed as List or Details:

S1429.png
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Leif wrote:
13 May 2022, 07:05
hlewton wrote:
I checked many of the suggestions. They all seem to be under the assumption that iCloud is still installed on the computer. In my case, it is not. I uninstalled it using Revo Uninstaller Pro. That may be the reason that Hans suggested registry item to remove was already removed.

When I looked deeper at the links that popped up using the search line you provided this is what they all lead to:
Can I delete iCloud folder on Windows?
If you're using iCloud for Windows version 10 or later, you can remove files and folders downloaded from iCloud Drive to free up space on your computer. If you're using version 11 or later, you can also remove photos and videos downloaded from iCloud Photos. Find out which version of iCloud for Windows you have.

I installed the most current version of iCloud, version 11. It says I can remove Files and Folders but I cannot remove the folders even though they are empty. I'll keep looking but i do already have an open case number with Apple. However, when they opened this case number it was because iCloud screwed up my Outlook so badly. They could not help with that because they do not support Outlook. I'll have to see if they can support this problem.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:
13 May 2022, 14:24
This is what I see in Windows 11, in a folder displayed as List or Details:

S1429.png
Hans not sure how you got that or why I can't. Here is what I see.
FileEx1.jpg
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

That's probably because you use a Windows 10-look.
Click Options on the right.
Activate the View tab of the Folder Options dialog.
Tick the check box "Decrease space between items (compact view)".
Click OK.

S1430.png
Best wishes,
Hans

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

If removing folders from Windows Explorer proves too difficult, perhaps you could get away with just hiding them?
How to Hide Files, Folders & Drives in Windows 11
Leif

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Hans, that worked. However, the strangest thing happened. I did not have the Activate View Tab as one of the listed items to choose from under Options. So I copied that to see if using the Windows search spy glass could find it quickly. In doing that, an odd sized window popped up with some message about setting something in Malwarebytes. I didn't make a note of that message, I just closed it. I knew another way to get to the dialog box I needed to make that change. As I was starting that search, what looked like the Blue Screen Of Death for windows popped up. It said there were errors detected a and they were gathering information and then my computer would be restarted. After about 2 or 3 minutes, it did restart and it looks and is acting normal. I have no idea what would have caused that. Just prior to that happening, I was on a screen share with Apple but I have done that many times in the past with no problems. Hope it doesn't happen again.
Regards,
hlewton

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

Personally, with all the modifications you have attempted and errors you are getting, I would look into Using System File Checker in Windows
Leif

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Leif wrote:
13 May 2022, 14:48
If removing folders from Windows Explorer proves too difficult, perhaps you could get away with just hiding them?
How to Hide Files, Folders & Drives in Windows 11
I just talked to Apple and they have no idea what to do. The senior advisor said he could not take my case to the engineers because they would ask him what steps he took to resolve the issue. Since I had already removed iCloud, and he didn't see that happening, he could do nothing.

I will look into your link and I really appreciate your help. I just want to throw this out for comment. I searched the Registry for the word "Apple" and found a few entries that appeared to have been installed with iCloud. Most of them even had the terms iClout and the version, which apparently is 13 something, not 11 as I mentioned above. I'm glad I didn't delete any of them or I would have thought that may have been the cause of the BSOD I mentioned above. Any opinion if I should delete these references to iCloud in the Registry? If so, I am not sure if I ever have made a backup of the Registry. Does creating a Restore Point do that?
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Leif wrote:
13 May 2022, 15:31
Personally, with all the modifications you have attempted and errors you are getting, I would look into Using System File Checker in Windows
I will do that too. Thanks.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Ran SFC /SCANNOW. I guess it is OK
SFC.jpg
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Leif wrote:
13 May 2022, 15:31
I guess I just have to live with it as it is. Applying the suggested, checking "Hidden" under the Properties of that folder did no good. Probably because I have show File name Extensions and Hidden Items checked in my File Explorer and I don't want to lose that.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Alternatively, backup all your data, and completely reset Windows 11. That will give you a clean slate to work with.
When you have it up and running again, try to refrain from tweaking it, and install only software you absolutely need.
Best wishes,
Hans