Copy Win 11 Setup from Laptop #1 to #2

CraigS26
2StarLounger

Copy Win 11 Setup from Laptop #1 to #2

Post by CraigS26 »

Would appreciate for my education and a Forum issue elsewhere ..... Suppose a guy buys 2 identical Win 11 laptops to be used - and sets up #1 like he wants.
He then Clones or Image Restores Laptop #1 to Laptop #2.
I know an OEM license (Product Key) is married to the Original Motherboard and Cannot be transferred.

To my question of #1's License being on Two Computers the answer was -- [Windows licenses for awhile now have been embedded in system firmware, so the “transplanted” Windows environment should be able to see that it’s still running on a system that contains a license for that OS and therefore should maintain activation.]
This implies Firmware on Laptop #1.... is Omitted from Clone or Image Contents - which would shock me.....
If Yes, OK....No problem.
If No, Once #1's Win11is on Laptop #2 -- Will it At Least let him -- go to Settings/ Activation/ Update Product Key and Change the Product Key to #2's Key Before it was erased by #1's data?
HOW can this Clone/Restore work otherwise?

Any clarification of my concerns is appreciated!!
Win 10 Pro 22H2 | ESET EIS Prem | Mbam Prem | Diskeeper Pro '15 | Macrium Pd v8

StuartR
Administrator

Re: Copy Win 11 Setup from Laptop #1 to #2

Post by StuartR »

A cloned disk does not include the firmware. Firmware is stored on dedicated chips on motherboards, not on the disk
StuartR

CraigS26
2StarLounger

Re: Copy Win 11 Setup from Laptop #1 to #2

Post by CraigS26 »

Many Thanks, Stuart, although That's a surprise. When i said I know the License is married to the motherboard I just didn't know IF the disk was void of all License connections - as it apparently is. They just didn't explain it for the amateurs like you just did.
Win 10 Pro 22H2 | ESET EIS Prem | Mbam Prem | Diskeeper Pro '15 | Macrium Pd v8