Windows Updates Delayed

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Windows Updates Delayed

Post by hlewton »

I have 4 computers running Windows 10. I followed advice from another forum to delay the updates for a while. When I got that newsletter, I immediately delayed the Automatic Updates till June 13, 2022. Today I got another newsletter saying it was OK to install the May updates. Everyone of those 4 computers had somehow overridden that delay and all were already updated. I know the date was set to the Jun. 13, 2022, mentioned above. The only machine that kept its delay on was the 1 Windows 11 computer I have. This has happened to me one other time only that time it was on 2 machines. Someone in the other forum was convinced I made a mistake and didn't have the delay set as I said I did. From that time on, I have been writing down the delay and the machine it is on. So, I am 100% certain I had the delays set as mentioned above. How could all 4 computers override that delay setting and update themselves?
Regards,
hlewton

JoeP
SilverLounger

Re: Windows Updates Delayed

Post by JoeP »

Are these PCs WIn 10 Home or Pro? How are you setting the date? How did you determine that they were already updated? Had you run Windows Update at some point?
Joe

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

JoeP wrote:
24 May 2022, 17:06
Are these PCs WIn 10 Home or Pro? How are you setting the date? How did you determine that they were already updated? Had you run Windows Update at some point?
3 of them are Windows 10 Pro ver. 21H2, Build 19044.1706, 1 is Windows 10 Home ver. 21H2, Build 19044.1706.

On May 9, 2022 I delayed the updates to the maximum number I could. That was 5 delays times 7 days each, which took each machine up to June 13, 2022 for the delay date that was set.

I clicked on Windows Update to take the delay off and on every machine it said, "You Are Up To Date" and gave the Last checked date as today, May 24, 2022 at 9:55 AM.

I had not run Windows Update at any time other than April's update when the other site's newsletter said it was safe to run and install April's updates. I don't keep track of that date but it was somewhere around Apr. 25, 2022, I would guess.

However, as I mentioned above, I have been keeping track of when I delayed the updates, which machines, and when they were delayed until.

Also, maybe I should mention, I do not open Windows Update at any time during the month except to either delay them or install them. So that would be only twice a month that I visit Windows Update.
Regards,
hlewton

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Do you use any third-party software to manage Windows settings?
Joe

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Not on the Windows 10 machines and only Start11 on the Windows 11 computer.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

JoeP wrote:
25 May 2022, 18:42
Do you use any third-party software to manage Windows settings?
Since my last post in this thread, I talked to the fellow who builds my computers. He also takes care of a few businesses in addition to all his residential customers. I asked him if he has ever run into the situation I described in the opening post, He says he has, even with some of his business customers. Apparently, just as an example, one of his customers had set MS's second Tuesday's monthly update on pause because of a print spool problem, or something like that. The delay got, somehow, canceled and the update was installed. it caused major printing problems for that company. He, also had customers like me call him about it and he has no answers. So apparently, I am not the only one in the world who has this problem.
Regards,
hlewton

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

I've seen similar reports sporadically. Often on further review, it turns out the person has done something to cause Windows Update to run. In Microsoft parlance, the user has become a "seeker" and gets whatever updates have been deferred. If you are sure you did not run WU, then I recommend you report this to Microsoft in the Feedback Hub providing as much detail as you can. Also, while in the Feedback Hub upvote similar reports. Microsoft uses feedback hub reports to help prioritize its efforts.
Joe

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

JoeP wrote:
26 May 2022, 20:12
I've seen similar reports sporadically. Often on further review, it turns out the person has done something to cause Windows Update to run. In Microsoft parlance, the user has become a "seeker" and gets whatever updates have been deferred. If you are sure you did not run WU, then I recommend you report this to Microsoft in the Feedback Hub providing as much detail as you can. Also, while in the Feedback Hub upvote similar reports. Microsoft uses feedback hub reports to help prioritize its efforts.
JoeP I am absolutely, 100% certain I did nothing to cause these updates to be installed. Again, next month when I get that newsletter about delaying the updates I will note the date and how far out into the future I delayed them. However, I always delay the updates the maximum which is 5 clicks and 35 days. I will also, again, make note of the day the delays are to expire, like I did this time. It was not supposed to expire until June 13, 2022 but it got changed somehow.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I would recommend NOT delaying the updates. Every month those newsletters spread the same old fear-mongering that the sky is going to fall, and after two or three weeks tell you that it's OK after all. Just let Windows install the updates when it wants.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:
26 May 2022, 21:45
I would recommend NOT delaying the updates. Every month those newsletters spread the same old fear-mongering that the sky is going to fall, and after two or three weeks tell you that it's OK after all. Just let Windows install the updates when it wants.
You're right about it being the same thing month after month. The last few months with the threat of it messing up the printer que, or something like that, I was leery of taking the chance.
Regards,
hlewton

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

You always need to dig into the details of those comments. Sometimes it is just a server issue. Sometimes it is a particular hardware brand. Sometimes it is outdated drivers. The vast majority of Windows users never see these problems.

If you just want to be ultra-careful perhaps try just a one week delay. I just let Windows do its thing to most systems I help with. On my PC, I install ASAP.
Joe

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

JoeP wrote:
27 May 2022, 20:36
You always need to dig into the details of those comments. Sometimes it is just a server issue. Sometimes it is a particular hardware brand. Sometimes it is outdated drivers. The vast majority of Windows users never see these problems.

If you just want to be ultra-careful perhaps try just a one week delay. I just let Windows do its thing to most systems I help with. On my PC, I install ASAP.
I always used to do the same. I guess in my old age I have become more cautious. Thank you.
Regards,
hlewton

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

It is easy to get overwhelmed when you frequent forums. Typically, you see problems and complaints. You don't hear from the vast majority of users who do not have issues.
Joe

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

The thing you don't see is the time between a new security issue being identified and being actively used to compromise systems. This has gone down from weeks to hours. That is why I always put patches in as soon as I can.
StuartR

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

JoeP wrote:
30 May 2022, 01:37
It is easy to get overwhelmed when you frequent forums. Typically, you see problems and complaints. You don't hear from the vast majority of users who do not have issues.
Thank is a vary good point. Never thought about it that way.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

StuartR wrote:
30 May 2022, 08:14
The thing you don't see is the time between a new security issue being identified and being actively used to compromise systems. This has gone down from weeks to hours. That is why I always put patches in as soon as I can.
After the comments here, that is probably what I'll start doing. I used to it that way all the time so all I have to do is stop using the delays. It is strange though how all 4 of my Windows 10 machines somehow bypassed that June 13th delay that was set.
Regards,
hlewton