Viewing Photos with *.jpg Format

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Viewing Photos with *.jpg Format

Post by hlewton »

In all the years I have used computers to view and sometimes print jpeg photos I have never encountered this problem. On all my Windows 10 machines the exact same thing is happening. When I try to view a few jpg files using Windows Photo Viewer, that were originally taken on an iPhone, I am getting the message you can see in the attachment. The message is not accurate because I have plenty of memory. When trying to open other photos from the same iPhone, there is not any problem at all. The only difference was the files that would not open were originally jpeg files not jpg files. I do not know how they got that extension from the iPhone since the others had the jpg extension. I renamed them so they were then jpg files and still got the same error message as in the attachment. These same photos that will not open using Windows Photo Viewer will open if I use the app called Photos and they print fine from that app. I like using Windows Photo Viewer because it will let me navigate from one photo to the next where Photos doesn't offer me that option. I have to open each photo individually.

Any idea why this is happening? Thanks

123.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Re: Viewing Photos with *.jpg Format

Post by HansV »

Apparently this is because these specific picture files contain color information that Windows Photo Viewer doesn't recognize.
You might try the following:

Press Windows key+R to display the Run dialog.
Type colorcpl.exe and press Enter or click OK.
In the Color Management dialog, tick the check box 'Use my settings for this device'.
Do you see any ICC profiles in the list? If so, select them and click Remove, even if you get a warning that it is the default profile.
Close the dialog.
Now try to view one of the problem pictures.

Still no success?
Open the Color Management dialog again.
Click Add...
Select ]Agfa: Swop Standard'.
Click OK.
Set this profile as the default profile.
Close the dialog.
Try to view a picture again.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:
22 May 2022, 19:23
Apparently this is because these specific picture files contain color information that Windows Photo Viewer doesn't recognize.
You might try the following:

Press Windows key+R to display the Run dialog.
Type colorcpl.exe and press Enter or click OK.
In the Color Management dialog, tick the check box 'Use my settings for this device'.
Do you see any ICC profiles in the list? If so, select them and click Remove, even if you get a warning that it is the default profile.
Close the dialog.
Now try to view one of the problem pictures.

Still no success?
Open the Color Management dialog again.
Click Add...
Select ]Agfa: Swop Standard'.
Click OK.
Set this profile as the default profile.
Close the dialog.
Try to view a picture again.
I had no success with either option. Not sure why but attachment named Color is what happened when I looked for the ICC profile and the attachment Color1 is what happened when I tried to add Agfa: Swop Standard. When I looked for the ICC profile, I clicked the tab that said All Profiles and ICC was not there either. However, not sure what this means, but it did not list my Brother Color printers. It showed a Canon I have but not the Brothers.

When I clicked the ADD button the first screen that opened up to offer me the Agfa: Swop Standard option did show ICC profiles but it was just like a subdivision of that window.

I did try opening those photos after checking the 'Use my settings for this device' option but got the same error message. Not sure what to do now.
Color.jpg
Color1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Then I suggest you move to a better photo viewer, for example IrfanView or [url=https://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm[/url]. Both are free.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:
22 May 2022, 20:29
Then I suggest you move to a better photo viewer, for example IrfanView or [url=https://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm[/url]. Both are free.
OK, thank you. I do already have IrFan View installed.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

IrFanview opens all of them.
Regards,
hlewton