Default Apps for Opening Files in Windows 10

HansV
Administrator

Re: Default Apps for Opening Files in Windows 10

Post by HansV »

Ah - I didn't look further than the front page.
Best wishes,
Hans

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

StuartR wrote:
16 Sep 2021, 12:48
The link works Hans, but the menus all lead to non-existant pages
Except for this link:

x.jpg

which I recommend you do NOT follow.

I suspect the site has either expired and been taken over, or has been hacked...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Leif

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

StuartR wrote:
16 Sep 2021, 12:48
The link works Hans, but the menus all lead to non-existant pages
Yep that is what I was trying to say. Too bad I was hoping it was legitimate. The photos of the recipes sure look authentic.
Regards,
hlewton

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:
10 Sep 2021, 21:18
To remove a default app would probably require extensive editing of the registry. I'd leave it as it is.
This is a sad commentary on Win10.
Untitled.png
I have this past week RevoUninstalled Audacity 3.1.3 with the purpose of reinstalling it out-of-the-box (to keep the team at Audacity happy) and creating two portable versions ("work" and "home" as advised by the Audacity tem) accessible by batch files.
For some reason (probably my fault), executing a FLAC/WAV/MP3 file calls up the basic version of the exe.
I, of course, want to re-assign the association to one of my batch files.

Through Control Panel I am redirected to the all-singing all-dancing show called "Settings", and find that I cannot re-assign the association there (image above).
I had hoped to find some right-click manifestation that would read "detach" or "remove" or similar.
I went into "Apps and features", with no success.

Some twenty-seven years ago we were told that The Registry was here to Serve And Protect us, and that we shouldn't touch it. Today the best we can come up with is:-
(1) Use RegEdit and hope we get it right or
(2) Undo all the work from this week, uninstall the program, and hope that a re-installation won't land us right back where we are now.

This is not a criticism of members of the board, but, I hope, a rational statement of how MS's left hand doesn't know what its right-hand is doing.

(signed) "annoyed" of Bonavista
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle