How to change the OneDrive root folder name

jmt356
SilverLounger

How to change the OneDrive root folder name

Post by jmt356 »

My computer automatically assigned my OneDrive folder a very long name in the format "OneDrive - Full Company Name" ("One Drive" followed by the full company name). This causes me issues because I cannot access files located in OneDrive that have long file names or multiple folders and sub-folders that cause the combined file name and path to exceed 255 characters. If I can change the name of the OneDrive folder, I can save 21 characters.

Is it possible to change the OneDrive root folder name without interfering with the RegEdit? Can I just shutdown Onedrive and then right-click the folder name and change it as with other folders?
Regards,

JMT

Rebel
4StarLounger
Location: Recently moved to Bracebridge - in the heart of Muskoka.

Re: How to change the OneDrive root folder name

Post by Rebel »

What happens if you try to do exactly what you mention, i.e. "shutdown Onedrive and then right-click the folder name and change it"?
Make note of the original folder name, and if this doesn't accomplish what you want, you can always change it back.
A Google search also returns several articles on this topic.
John :canada:
A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

Whether or not OneDrive is shut down, when I right-click OneDrive on the tree view under Quick Access on the left in File Explorer and select Properties, the name of the folder in the General Tab is grayed out. I can't edit it.

However, if I navigate to my hard drive in File Explorer and go to the location of OneDrive on my hard drive (not accessing it through the tree view on the left of File Explorer) and right-click the OneDrive folder, there is an option to rename the OneDrive folder. I was able to do this.

It appears to be working, but with an odd twist. In the tree view on the left, the name of the OneDrive shortcut remains "OneDrive - [Company Name]." I have not found a way to change it. However, when I click on it, it takes me to the folder "OneDrive," which now omits the company name.
Regards,

JMT

Ted Myers
4StarLounger

Post by Ted Myers »

Hi JMT, right click OneDrive in the taskbar, select Settings. On the 'Accounts' tab click 'Unlink This PC.
Now make a new folder wherever you want and name it anything you want. Now, re sign into Onedrive but don't accept the location offered, select your new folder. Sorry I can't give more info as its so long since I did it.
-
OD.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If it wasn't for bad luck I'd have NO luck at all.
Windows 11 Home 23H2 Laptop

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

I select C:\OneDrive as my desired location. However, OneDrive then creates a subfolder within C:\OneDrive called OneDrive - [Company Name], which makes the total path of the files in the OneDrive folder even longer than before.

Before: C:\OneDrive - [Company Name]
After: C:\OneDrive\OneDrive - [Company Name]

Also, as an update to my post no. 285940, above, when I tried to delete " - [Company Name]" from the name of the OneDrive folder that was assigned to me, it worked initially, but eventually, Windows failed to recognize my OneDrive folder and required me to set it up again. It continues to force the company name into my OneDrive account.
Regards,

JMT

Ted Myers
4StarLounger

Post by Ted Myers »

Here is my Set-Up
-
OD on D.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

Are you using a OneDrive personal or business account?
Regards,

JMT

Ted Myers
4StarLounger

Post by Ted Myers »

Just the version on my Win7 Home Prem 32bit PC that came pre-installed, all I had to do was sign in. It was put on D:Drive so I could use Acronis to make back ups & restore without loosing anything.

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

It looks like you are not using a Business account, which is why OneDrive is not forcing you to name your OneDrive folder "OneDrive - [Company Name]."
Regards,

JMT

Ted Myers
4StarLounger

Post by Ted Myers »

Hello JMT, This Link Could Help it gives images to explain but omits my part of making a folder in your desired name & location.