Windows 10 version 21H1 has been released

HansV
Administrator

Windows 10 version 21H1 has been released

Post by HansV »

Like version 20H2, this is a relatively minor feature release. If you already have version 20H1 or 20H2, it does not replace that version, but merely updates it. So installation should be fast.

As usual, Microsoft will roll out the update over the coming months. Since there is nothing spectacular in 21H1, there is no pressing need to update. For most users, it's best to wait until it is offered.
But if you want to try it out and if Start > Settings > Update & Security > Check for Updates does not offer it, you can install the Windows 10 Update Assistant, or the Media Creation Tool. See Download Windows 10.
Best wishes,
Hans

HansV
Administrator

Re: Windows 10 version 21H1 has been released

Post by HansV »

A weird but harmless side-effect of installing 21H1 was that I had to activate Microsoft Office again. Fortunately this took only a second.
Best wishes,
Hans

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

A 10 minute uneventful installation for me. Fortunately, Microsoft Office 365 was just fine. No other observed problems.
Joe

jaystarter
3StarLounger

Post by jaystarter »

After installing 21H1 cant connect my pixel phone via usb......investigating probable solutions now....
Jeff

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

My laptop didn't have a problem with Office after the update. So it must have been a quirk...
Best wishes,
Hans

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

HansV wrote:
24 May 2021, 22:21
Like version 20H2, this is a relatively minor feature release. If you already have version 20H1 or 20H2, it does not replace that version, but merely updates it. So installation should be fast.
My Windows 10 Pro environment was current with the May 2021 20H2 monthly release. Today I went to Settings and saw that the Feature update 21H1 was ready for downloading and installing. I exited, ran a full backup of my System drive, deactivated ShadowProtect SPX, turned off Malwarebytes Premium and ESET Internet Security and went back to Settings and started the feature update process.

I tell you Vern it was the fastest update I have ever seen. 2 minutes from the time I selected the offering to the time I was asked to login to the new environment! The system clock on the taskbar showed 3:43 p.m. when I started the process and when completed it showed 3:45 p.m. I could not believe that the system really updated that fast, which included 1 restart so I checked WINVER which reported 21H1 (Build 19043.985). Something has to be wrong! :hairout:
Regards,
Bob

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Most of the components had probably already been installed, they only needed to be activated.
Best wishes,
Hans

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

HansV wrote:
27 May 2021, 07:09
Most of the components had probably already been installed, they only needed to be activated.
Crafty Microsoft … feature updates previously downloaded, installed and waiting in the wings to be activated. :thumbup:

My feature “update” prep of backups and deactivation, etc., took approximately 9 minutes. 7 minutes longer than the update itself. Not counting doing full backs of all drives post feature install that took 48 minutes. Will wonders never cease? :grin:

Thanks again Hans for the comments … much appreciated!
Regards,
Bob

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Well, two minutes from start to finish ... faster than many of the security updates :fanfare:
As you noted, Hans, clearly most of this update was already 'lying in waiting' on my pc.
Smooth upgrade with no apparent issues.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

My Lenovo laptop took about a minute to update after the download of 21H1, but my HP i7 PC took well over an hour, and appeared to completely reinstall Windows 10 Pro, with more reboots than I've ever previously encountered. And I had to use the Media Creation Tool for this one.
Pleasingly, Word 2010 and Excel 2010 seem still to work without any faffing about!
John Gray

Venison is quiet deer, and quite dear.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

John,
We also use the Office 2010 version which also did not require any 'fixing' post upgrade.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:
24 May 2021, 22:21

As usual, Microsoft will roll out the update over the coming months. Since there is nothing spectacular in 21H1, there is no pressing need to update. For most users, it's best to wait until it is offered.
But if you want to try it out and if Start > Settings > Update & Security > Check for Updates does not offer it, you can install the Windows 10 Update Assistant, or the Media Creation Tool. See Download Windows 10.
I just did a Windows 10 Update to version 20H2 and saw the version 21H1 offered there as an option. Is this what you meant by waiting until it is offered? In the past I believe new versions were offered in the message center on the taskbar but I am not sure of that.

HansV wrote:
25 May 2021, 07:36
A weird but harmless side-effect of installing 21H1 was that I had to activate Microsoft Office again. Fortunately this took only a second.
Are you referring to Office 365?
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Sorry, I just re-read your post and I think my first question was already answered. I'm still curious about reactivating Office. I'm not sure how I would reactivate Office 365.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I wouldn't worry about it.
1) It was Office 2019, not Microsoft 365
2) It only happened on one of my PCs and I haven't seen any other reports about it.
3) I only had to log in to my Microsoft account again, I didn't even have to enter the license key.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:
07 Jul 2021, 18:48
I wouldn't worry about it.
1) It was Office 2019, not Microsoft 365
2) It only happened on one of my PCs and I haven't seen any other reports about it.
3) I only had to log in to my Microsoft account again, I didn't even have to enter the license key.
Thank you. I did install it on all my computers. It went fast and so far, so good.