Windows 10 version 20H2 has been released

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Re: Windows 10 version 20H2 has been released

Post by BobArch2 »

Jay Freedman wrote:
28 Nov 2020, 22:08
The reason it's so fast, as explained in https://www.techrepublic.com/article/wi ... customers/, is that the 20H2 features were already present in version 2004 but disabled:
Thanks Jay, that article explains a lot. I went exploring my update earlier today and have the following observations:

- the “feature” update did not create a Windows.old folder with the previous version of Windows.
- looking at the Update History in Settings shows 2 features installed ... 2004 July 2020 and 20H2 November 29, 2020.
- updating to 20H2 left the detail listings of 2004 daily and monthly updates.
- checking the OS build info in Settings shows the version 20H2 with the current build info and indicates that 2004 was installed July 22, 2020.
- previous feature updates always changed the installed dates of about 50-60% of old applications to the install date of the feature when looking in the Control Panel | Programs and Features. This update has not changed to 2020.11.29.

Just a few of the obvious findings.

Thanks again.
Regards,
Bob

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

jonwallace wrote:
30 Nov 2020, 23:44
Now you'll have to spend days going back over all the ones you missed...
Another devious plan hatched by my fellow-loungers :evilgrin: :evilgrin: :evilgrin:
Cheers
Chris
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

BobArch2 wrote:
29 Nov 2020, 19:27
On October 30, 2020 I used the Media Tool to download the ISO file and used it to update Win10 Pro 2004 to 20H2. I started the update process at 12:10 and by 13:29, 79 minutes later, and after 5 restarts the system was running 20H2.

I was not too happy with the results as the update changed the defaults for accessing PDF files (from Foxit to Edge) and the browser Chrome to Edge. In addition, my NAS was no longer accessible in File Explorer. There were also problems accessing the HP printer [...] At that stage I gave up and restored the system drive with a Pre-Install image backup. [...]

A few days later the problems with the NAS and HP printer reappeared. Research pointed the issues to Malwarebytes and NOT the 20H2 upgrade. [...]

Today. November 29th, was a slack day so I created an image of the System drive, reset the Settings and this time elected to use the Check For Updates feature to go hunting for the 20H2 feature upgrade. [...]

No issues with the NAS or HP Printer. The difference to the process was that I used the Check for Updates in Settings vs using the Media Tool. And for "giggles" I turned off Malwarebytes and ESET Internet Security.
Also:
System and user certificates might be lost when updating a device from Windows 10, version 1809 or later to a later version of Windows 10. Devices will only be impacted if they have already installed any Latest cumulative update (LCU) released September 16, 2020 or later and then proceed to update to a later version of Windows 10 from media or an installation source which does not have an LCU released October 13, 2020 or later integrated. This primarily happens when managed devices are updated using outdated bundles or media through an update management tool such as Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) or Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager. This might also happen when using outdated physical media or ISO images that do not have the latest updates integrated.
Certificates may not be present after updating to a newer version of Windows 10
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
01 Dec 2020, 10:20
jonwallace wrote:
30 Nov 2020, 23:44
Now you'll have to spend days going back over all the ones you missed...
Another devious plan hatched by my fellow-loungers :evilgrin: :evilgrin: :evilgrin:
Doing what I can to slow down your podcast listening and subsequent posting of "spoilers". :grin:
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Argus wrote:
05 Dec 2020, 05:57
Also:
System and user certificates might be lost when updating a device from Windows 10, version 1809 or later to a later version of Windows 10. [...] This might also happen when using outdated physical media or ISO images that do not have the latest updates integrated.
In other words, there is now a v.2 of the ISO-files.

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

Argus wrote:
07 Dec 2020, 05:26
Argus wrote:
05 Dec 2020, 05:57
Also:
System and user certificates might be lost when updating a device from Windows 10, version 1809 or later to a later version of Windows 10. [...] This might also happen when using outdated physical media or ISO images that do not have the latest updates integrated.
In other words, there is now a v.2 of the ISO-files.
Thanks for the link. After the initial release of Windows 10 (1503?) I have used the Media Tool/ISO approach to update my Win10 Pro to the latest feature update within a day or two of its availability. Never had any issues until recently. As indicated above, for the 20H2 release I eventually used the Settings | Check for update to install the update, successfully. It would appear on the surface that the feature update process going forward is going towards an “annual” cycle. Me thinks I will change my approach by bypassing the Media Tool concept and rely on the “Check for updates” via Settings.

Thanks again...
Regards,
Bob