How to Change E-Mail Address with Administrator Name

BobH
UraniumLounger

How to Change E-Mail Address with Administrator Name

Post by BobH »

In trying to find out why scheduled system restore points weren't working, I discovered that the email address associated with my administrator login name is incorrect and is no longer valid. I tried to find a way to change it but could not.

I navigated to User Accounts and found hyperlinks that I thought would lead me to a place to change the email address but, despite entering my PIN, could not find a way to change the email address.

???????
:cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

CraigS26
2StarLounger

Re: How to Change E-Mail Address with Administrator Name

Post by CraigS26 »

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... da48f8de15

Let's see if the forum experts think this above How-To seems worth a try.
Read it all as he had to Re-start after added To-do's.

Nothing is mentioned in making a New Admin Acct about Associating that NEW Admin Acct with, in my case, 4.38 GB of Folders-Files in C:\users\My Admin. -- and I'm Lost on that issue.
EDIT: This or other How-To's talked of starting with a NEW - Local Acct - and Changing That to - Admin -. It dawned on me you'd wind up naming the New Acct the SAME Name as the one you'll Delete, BUT I'm still not sure of the order of actions - and IF I'm right.

THIS is an Old Topic in many places-posts. I, too, show a 2nd rarely used Hotmail Acct at the top of my Settings page BUT have no Use issues yet as a result.
My MS Acct page after Login shows the correct, main Hotmail acct; Only the Settings Page is wrong.
Last edited by CraigS26 on 23 Oct 2020, 10:57, edited 1 time in total.
Win 10 Pro 22H2 | ESET EIS Prem | Mbam Prem | Diskeeper Pro '15 | Macrium Pd v8

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

This is a very good reason NOT to be using a Microsoft Account as a Windows login as ones PRIME account.
I use a local account and I also use Office 365, and it still works with my local account.
The only machine that I have a Microsoft Account as a login is on my laptop, and that is because I did not know any of the in's and out's about using one.
I am not worried about losing any data off of my laptop, as I copy what I need to it when I am on the go.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

I've used a Microsoft account since I first got Windows 10 and have zero problems with data loss, data migration, or security. I've also been in the Insider program since October 2014 using that account. If you choose not to use a Microsoft account that is fine but don't not use one because you think you are going to lose data or be unable to access a program. NOTHING beats good computing habits and good online behavior.
Joe

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I've been using a Microsoft account for more than 5 years now, an like JoeP I don't see any downsides to it.
Best wishes,
Hans

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

@BobH,

If this is a Microsoft account try this - go to account.live.com, click on the "Your Info" link in the header, then click on "contact info", click on the "manage this email address", click "add email", add the correct email address using the correct option (add new or existing), click "add alias", then eith remove the old email address or click "make primary" on the new address.

NOTE: if you aren't sure that the old address is unused, click on "change sign-in preferences", uncheck the old address.
Joe

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

JoeP,
Good info.
It appears that Microsoft does have a method of changing accounts.
Thanks for the instructions
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living