A Couple of Questions

BobH
UraniumLounger

A Couple of Questions

Post by BobH »

First: Is there some place I can get a system check to see if my laptop is able to run Windows 10 V.2004? From the System Req's I've read, only my graphics card is suspect. It is an Intel(R) HD Graphics device.

Second: In the Windows 10 File Explorer side bar there is a Quick Access list and a This PC list with both containing the same folders. These redundant entries seem to me to be a waste of space in the side bar. I've also discovered that entries with the same name, eg, Pictures, have different display results when chosen. Is there a reason for 2 lists? Is there a way to eliminate the Quick Access list?
W10 F Exp side bar.PNG
:cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

HansV
Administrator

Re: A Couple of Questions

Post by HansV »

The Windows 10 Update Assistant will check your system to see whether it can be updated. Intel graphics in itself should not be a problem.
See the first button on Download Windows 10.
Best wishes,
Hans

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You can right-click any item under Quick access and select 'Unpin from Quick access'.
Best wishes,
Hans

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Last edited by Leif on 09 Aug 2020, 05:01, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: To fix the URL
Joe

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Joe, that link took me to How-to-Geek but it's their 404 page.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

Bob, link fixed now. (It had an errant backslash at the end)
Leif

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

And in my opinion, you should ALWAYS deselect "Hide extensions for know file types":
_
x.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Leif

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:
08 Aug 2020, 21:40
You can right-click any item under Quick access and select 'Unpin from Quick access'.
Thank you, Bob and Hans.
Cheers
Chris
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Another option is to ADD links to the quick access list for the locations that you use regularly
StuartR

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

BobH wrote:
08 Aug 2020, 21:26
I've also discovered that entries with the same name, eg, Pictures, have different display results when chosen. Is there a reason for 2 lists?
And for the question not yet covered, I think; if you read between the lines in this thread you'll notice that the OS keep separate settings for views of libraries and actual folders.
https://eileenslounge.com/viewtopic.php ... 5d18a088d9

(I think it is covered in other posts as well.)
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

I am pleased and proud to announce that I have successfully upgraded to Win 10 V.2004. It's early days yet, but so far it seems to have improved the speed this laptop evidences.

Following Hans' lead, I ran the update last night. At the 3 hour mark it was in the process of restarting. I retired for the evening and let it continue. This morning, all was well (AFAIK).

Thank you, Mr. V!!!!! :cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

BobH wrote:
08 Aug 2020, 21:26
First: Is there some place I can get a system check to see if my laptop is able to run Windows 10 V.2004? From the System Req's I've read, only my graphics card is suspect. It is an Intel(R) HD Graphics device
Interesting... I have a HyperV virtual machine that runs Windows 10, running on a host that also runs Windows 10. The host still gets the "version 2004 coming soon" message, but the virtual machine is now offered the 2004 update.

It seems likely that the system check doesn't like the hardware video card (an old Radeon-based one, adequate for what I do), but the generic video driver supplied by HyperV is more to its liking. :scratch:

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Jay, thanks for the link. I followed the instructions at HTG and now have This PC as the preferred view, but Quick Access still tops the list. Is there any way to eliminate it?
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Best wishes,
Hans

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thanks, Hans!

That hack took care of it. I no longer see Quick List in File Explorer.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)