Backward Progress - copy files

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Backward Progress - copy files

Post by ChrisGreaves »

I am seeking confirmation of my views rather than logging a complaint; although it is in my very nature to complain when systems move backwards in rhe name of progress. Here is my example:-
Backward001.png
In the Good Old Days™ When I attempted to copy a file, Windows would pop up a box asking me to make a decision (repace, ignore etc.) and providing data (size, date) on which I could base a decision.
In Win10-2004 I get a pop up box asking me to make a decision but without the data I need to make that decision.

We know that Win10 has that data because clicking on the "more details" control reveals that data.

I can't think of a good reason not to display the data to help me to make a decision. I base my thinking on Ian Sharp's dictum "We Process Data to get Information", and that decisions based on faulty information lead to bad decisions.

Cheers
Chris
P.S. As you might guess, today is my first day using the new Acer instead of the old Toshiba. C.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

HansV
Administrator

Re: Backward Progress - copy files

Post by HansV »

Have you clicked 'Compare info for both files'?
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:
30 Jul 2020, 08:03
Have you clicked 'Compare info for both files'?
Yes, Hans, I have clicked, also down-arrowed twice and tapped <Enter> (thanks again).
In a petulant way, that the data is available to me only after I take extra actions, actions that were unnecessary in Win3, 95, XP, 2000, 2002 etc., that is annoying.
If the comparison data were no longer available (for some reason), the absence of it would not be quite so annoying, in a back-handed manner.

I suppose that this "we will show it to you only after YOU have done an extra action" is in keeping with a pay-per-use philosophy.

I am studiously avoiding the calculation of dollar cost of all this extra clicking to avoid coming up with a startling figure of $13,333,333 per day.

Cheers
Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Perhaps this is what they call 'clickbait'? :innocent:
Best wishes,
Hans

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Surely time in Bonavista is almost infinite, therefore your cost per click will be minuscule? :yawn:
If you were doing high-frequency trading in Wall Street, that would be a different matter... :flee:
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:
30 Jul 2020, 09:38
Perhaps this is what they call 'clickbait'? :innocent:
Could be! I just wish it would abate! :groan:
Cheers
Chris

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

John Gray wrote:
30 Jul 2020, 10:00
If you were doing high-frequency trading in Wall Street, that would be a different matter... :flee:
Nah.
The only wheeling and dealing I'm doing is barrowing my second driveway across the street to David's driveway, and praying that maybe next week David will remove my oil furnace and second fridge. I need the space for the new bookcases.
Cheers
Chris