Win10_2004 Where is DEFER updates?

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Win10_2004 Where is DEFER updates?

Post by ChrisGreaves »

I am now in Win10_2004 on the Acer, which is still not hooked up to the internet; I sneak back to the Toshiba for that/this.
I have read thjrough these two threads:Win 10 Pro defer vs pause updates and Monthly Cumulative Update issues W10-Pro
(1) DEFER Updates
W10_2004_Updates_001.png
I see no mention of "Defer Updates" which were being discussed before 1903 here and in Woody's.
I am curious as to why I don't see DEFER.
I have staved off updates for 25 days until September 1st.

I click on Advanced Options
W10_2004_Updates_002.png
(2) Still no sign of DEFER!

(3) The first option "receive updates for other Microsoft products" refuse to stay clicked OFF, after three or four passes through this dialogue.

(4) I use the search option from Windows (lower left corner) and search for "defer" which seems to lead only to "defragmentation"; I'm still trying to work that out.

In all the reading I have done, there seems to be a swirling mist of confusion about how updates work, indeed, it seems that Microsoft still hasn't worked out how to release updates.

I pine for the good old days when I could say "Turn off updates and I will choose when to use an unstable platform".

Comments welcomed.
Cheers
Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

HansV
Administrator

Re: Win10_2004 Where is DEFER updates?

Post by HansV »

Your first screenshot shows that you have already paused = deferred updates to the maximum extent: 5 * 7 days.

P.S. despite all the fearmongering around automatic updates, I see no pressing reason for pausing/deferring them. Yes, I know that updates sometimes cause problems, but they usually affect only a small minority of users. If necessary, you can always uninstall the most recent update and pause updates. If I remember correctly, I have only done this once since Windows 10 was released 5 years ago, and in retrospect, it wasn't even necessary - I had messed up something myself.
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:
28 Jul 2020, 21:52
P.S. despite all the fearmongering around automatic updates, I see no pressing reason for pausing/deferring them. Yes, I know that updates sometimes cause problems, but they usually affect only a small minority of users. If necessary, you can always uninstall the most recent update and pause updates. If I remember correctly, I have only done this once since Windows 10 was released 5 years ago, and in retrospect, it wasn't even necessary - I had messed up something myself.
My mind is coming back. Thank you Hans. We had this conversation around Firefox, i think, less than a month ago. I need to relax.

I now have Firefox et al. on Automatic Updates and have Resumed updates in Win10.
The "other products" refuses to stay "off", but I suspect automatic updates to Office2003 are unlikely. :grin:

Fear-based decisions in Adults is not a good thing, and i agree with you with regards to "Fearmongering". We see only the postings with complaints (ChrisGreaves on this board is a good example), and we do not see the 95+% of users who swan along quite happily.

Reading a hefty volume of threads on various boards means, of course, a steady diet of Things That Go Wrong", and I have been stampeded by fear.

Thanks again
Chris
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Prior to Win 10 2004 there was an option to 'defer' (not pause) available in the 'advanced options' dialog of Win 10 Pro. With the arrival of Win 10 2004 that direct option to defer has been removed from Win 10 Pro. However you can still defer (not pause) updates by using the Group Policy Editor (GPE). It's not hard to do that but I don't have time this instant to give step by step instructions on how to set it up.

I have used this policy based approach since I first got Win 10 (at v1709) and it has been a set it and forget it thing. My Win 10 quality (aka security) updates are 'automatic' but they don't arrive the instant MS releases them, they show up 20 days later. Similarly, Win 10 feature updates are 'automatic' but they arrive several months after MS first releases them (hence I'm still on v1909 and not expecting v2004 to arrive until Sept / Oct).

Ken