Windows 10 repair

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Re: Windows 10 repair

Post by hlewton »

JoeP wrote:Have you tried a network reset? Go to Settings | Network and Internet. There is a link at the bottom of the right pane "Network Reset". Click it and then read before proceeding.
I have not tried that. I will look into it.
I did find this and need to ask something: "When you reset your network, Windows will forget your Ethernet network, along with all your Wi-Fi networks and passwords. It will also forget additional connections, such as VPN connections or virtual switches, that you've created. ... Click the “Reset now” button to reset the network and restart your PC."

I do not know what Virtual switches are but I don't think I have any. This computer is connected by an Ethernet cable so I don't think WiFi enters into this reset. If I do this reset will it automatically find my network and reconnect?

It just seems strange that a reboot takes care of my problem but that is frustrating to have to do that every other day or so.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

In addition to the above questions I am wondering. I just checked the computer I use the most and Fast Startup is enabled. Do you think maybe I should try enabling fast Startup before I try resetting the network?

I am finding similar problems on the NET but it is always with WiFi and mine isn't so what I am coming up with is no help.

Thanks.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Network is reset so I'll have to wait to see if it helps. Still wondering if I should try enabling that Fast Startup. I don't want to make things worse.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

I have done everything suggested and I still have the problem. Does anyone have any other suggestions?
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I'm out of ideas, sorry... :sad:
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:I'm out of ideas, sorry... :sad:
Thanks for your help. I think I am going to try to contact MS and see if they can help.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

I worked with Microsoft and maybe they found the solution. My computer has worked fine for 7 days in a row. That is a record for it lately. I hope they did find a permanent solution. The technician called me back to see how the computer is running now and even though she did close out the case, she said it could be reopened within 30 days. She removed "temp" files but she went so fast so when she called back I asked for her to send me instructions of what she did. She also updated Win 10 with the latest updates which wasn't much because it stays updated mostly on its own but she thought this was also part of the fix. In addition, she disabled quite a few startup programs in "msconfig." Again, she went very fast but I didn't allow her to disable a program or two I knew I wanted active. The others she said would only serve to make the computer run more smoothly and boot up quicker.

Again, I did ask her how she deleted so many "temp" files as I was watching and here is what she sent me in case I need to do it again in the future. I don't use Windows Internet Explorer but I have always had FF delete temp files when it closes so I think I should be good there.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... les-folder
RUN Commands,
windows key +R = temp
windows key +R=%temp%
windows key+R=prefetch , are the three commands to remove the temp files

Since I am unfamiliar with any of the above commands to delete temp files do you see any reason for caution?

Thanks.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Uh - these commands simply open a folder in File Explorer; they don't remove anything.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:Uh - these commands simply open a folder in File Explorer; they don't remove anything.
Yes I knew that but I believe I can then highlight them and then delete them, can’t I?
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Yes. There's not much point in clearing the Prefetch folder - it'll be repopulated almost immediately.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Well what I thought was a repair for my computer by Microsoft was not. It acted up again. After another couple calls to Microsoft support and reopening my original case number they finally scheduled a call back to me from their second level technical support staff. I got that call yesterday and watched him as he took control of my computer. He made sure I had the latest cumulative Windows 10 updates but I doubt that did any good because my machine always updates eventually.

He then downloaded and used a program called "Drive Booster 6." After running that it was determined that my machine needed and I quote him here, "between 16 and 19 driver updates." This took some time and a reboot. Now only time will tell if this corrected anything. He has closed my case but said if it acts up again when I call in to reactivate it, they will know I need second level support.
Regards,
hlewton