Windows 10 repair

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Windows 10 repair

Post by hlewton »

First question is; do I need a Windows 10 installation disc to run a Windows Repair or sfc /scannow?

The problem I am having is too often I have to "Restart" one of my computers before it will access the Internet correctly. When it is acting up it will take for ever when trying to open up a location on the WEB. If I reboot the computer it accesses that site quickly as it should.

Since I do not have a Win 10 installation disc I very recently updated that computer to version 1909 but it did no good.

Any ideas what could be causing my problem and how would I be able to correct it if I don't have a Win 10 cd?

Thanks
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Re: Windows 10 repair

Post by HansV »

No, you don't need the installation disc to repair Windows or run sfc /scannow.

Do you have a wired connection to the router, or do you use WiFi? If the latter, is it built-in (as in laptops, usually) or do you use a WiFi adapter that you plug into a USB port?
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:No, you don't need the installation disc to repair Windows or run sfc /scannow.

Do you have a wired connection to the router, or do you use WiFi? If the latter, is it built-in (as in laptops, usually) or do you use a WiFi adapter that you plug into a USB port?
I am hard wired directly from a 16 port switch or splitter, whatever it is called, to this computer using an Ethernet cable. The problem I have has spanned two Windows versions and two wireless networks. I recently had an Eero Mesh wireless network installed but this problem existed with the Netgear wireless network I replaced and is part of the reason it was replaced. Replacing the wireless network did not help or cure the problem.

For clarity my wiring is: I use an ISP standard, not wireless, modem. From there and Ethernet cable connects to the wireless network hardware. From there and Ethernet cable connects to that 16 port switch. From there this and other computers are connected with an Ethernet cable.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Thanks, that rules out problems with a WiFi connection.

Does restarting the modem help?
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:Thanks, that rules out problems with a WiFi connection.

Does restarting the modem help?
No it does not. Since this problem started, and I don't remember exactly when that was, the modem has been restarted several times. It was restarted most recently when the Eero system was installed.

Let me ask this, does running a repair cause problems with installed programs? I ask because running sfc /scannow didn't find anything wrong.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

sfc /scannow should not affect installed programs.

The 'Reset this PC' option in Settings > Update & Security > Recovery, however, will remove all installed applications.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:sfc /scannow should not affect installed programs.

The 'Reset this PC' option in Settings > Update & Security > Recovery, however, will remove all installed applications.
Is "Reset this PC" the same as running a repair? If so I cannot do that right now.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

If I click Start and type repair, Reset this PC is the first search result.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thanks.
Regards,
hlewton

CraigS26
2StarLounger

Post by CraigS26 »

Internet Connections is the First category in W10 Troubleshoot;
At least you can check it off the possible fix list if tried and No Joy. Worth a shot, it seems.
A distant cousin to this just experienced: (2016 Hm-Stdnt Ofce C2R: with an Excel file Open a 2nd Excel file wouldn't open any longer BUT "Quick Repair" via Con Panel/ Rt Clk on Office 16/Change/ Quick Repair ... DID fix it.
A 2nd type of "Repair" BUT tuck away for future issues.
TROUBLESHOOT - INTERNET CONNECT.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Win 10 Pro 22H2 | ESET EIS Prem | Mbam Prem | Diskeeper Pro '15 | Macrium Pd v8

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

CraigS26 wrote:Internet Connections is the First category in W10 Troubleshoot;
At least you can check it off the possible fix list if tried and No Joy. Worth a shot, it seems.
A distant cousin to this just experienced: (2016 Hm-Stdnt Ofce C2R: with an Excel file Open a 2nd Excel file wouldn't open any longer BUT "Quick Repair" via Con Panel/ Rt Clk on Office 16/Change/ Quick Repair ... DID fix it.
A 2nd type of "Repair" BUT tuck away for future issues.
TROUBLESHOOT - INTERNET CONNECT.jpg
Thank you. It never finds anything or at least anything it can fix.
Regards,
hlewton

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Have you tried a different network card?

Have you disabled fast startuo? See How to disable Windows 10 fast startup (and why you'd want to) for instructions.
Joe

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

JoeP wrote:Have you tried a different network card?

Have you disabled fast startuo? See How to disable Windows 10 fast startup (and why you'd want to) for instructions.
I have not tried either of those. My next step was going to be to take a photo of the inside of my computer and send it to the fellow who builds these things for me so I would know what kind of card to order.

Never heard of "Windows 10 fast startup" but I will check it out from your link.

Thank you.
Regards,
hlewton

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Fast startup has been known to cause weird issues.

Also, if your networking issues occur after sleep or hibernation you might try not letting the OS power down the network card. Check to see if there is a Power tab on the card properties in device management.
Joe

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

JoeP wrote:Fast startup has been known to cause weird issues.

Also, if your networking issues occur after sleep or hibernation you might try not letting the OS power down the network card. Check to see if there is a Power tab on the card properties in device management.
Thank you for this information. I will check it out. I have ordered a new network card to try. Problem is it won't be here until Apr. 22nd. I am told the slot I should use for the new card is "pcie" a term I am not at all familiar with. "TP-Link 10/100/1000Mbps Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express, PCIE Network Adapter / Network Card / Ethernet Card for PC, Win10 supported (TG-3468)" this is the card I was told to order and he one that won't be here until Apr. 22nd. I have found other cards that are more readily available but not at all sure how to decide if they will work. For instance I found this "TP-Link TG-3468 Gigabit 10/100/1000Mbps PCI Express (PCIe) Network Card Adapter". Would it work for me since it has the "TG-3468" distinction?

I am ordering it because I can get it in 4 days but would like to make sure it is OK to use.

One other question: Do I have to somehow disable the onboard network card my computer is using now?

Thanks.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

JoeP wrote:Have you tried a different network card?

Taking this 1 step at a time, I have installed a new network card and it didn't help. I was now going to try to turn off the "Fast Startup" option but I do not have one. I will attach screenshots of what is available to me when following the instructions in the link here in this post.

I did find on the WEB why I probably do not have that Fast Startup option and here it is; "In this case, it means that hibernation is not enabled on your Windows 8/10 machine. In order to get the option back, you have to enable hibernation. You can do this by opening an elevated command prompt (click on Start, type in cmd, then right-click on Command Prompt and click on Run as Administrator) and typing in the following command:
powercfg /hibernate on"
So my question is should I try enabling the "hibernate" mode so I can then shut off the Fast Startup option? If hibernate is not working now does that eliminate the Fast Startup as a potential problem since Fast Startup seems to deal with a "sleep" mode the way I read the article in the link?

As you can see from the below attachments there is not option to turn off Fast Startup.

Before choosing "Change Settings That Are Currently Unavailable."
Turn Off 1.jpg
Aftewr choosing "Change Settings That Are Currently Unavailable."
Turn Off.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

As far as I know, Fast Startup is disabled if Hibernation is disabled.
Best wishes,
Hans

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

If hibernate is off then Fast Startup is disabled. That means the PC will do a full reboot when restarted after a shutdown. It will just take longer than with Fast Startuo.
Joe

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Have you tried a network reset? Go to Settings | Network and Internet. There is a link at the bottom of the right pane "Network Reset". Click it and then read before proceeding.
Joe

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thank you both.
Regards,
hlewton