Win 10 1903 finally shows up on my PC

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Win 10 1903 finally shows up on my PC

Post by stuck »

For info only...

This morning my home PC announced it was ready to update to 1903. It didn't take long and everything seems OK.

Ken

jstevens
GoldLounger

Re: Win 10 1903 finally shows up on my PC

Post by jstevens »

Ken,

1903 has been around quite a while now. How far North are you? :grin:
Regards,
John

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

I realise that but I lost the urge to be at the (b)leading edge of Windows releases a long time ago. My home PC runs Win 10 Pro so I used the Group Policy Editor to delay the regular / monthly updates by 20 days and feature update by several months. Many would disagree with those settings but they work for me and my modest home computing requirements.

At work though, it's a different story. There my work PC runs Win 10 Enterprise 1909 and is managed by the IT people. It is always right up to date.

As for how far north I am, somewhere in the range latitude 54deg +/- 0.5deg.

Ken

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

So, let's do the math.

Microsoft's headquarters in Redmond, WA are at almost 48° North.
Windows 10 version 1903 was released on the 21st of May 2019, exactly 10 months ago.
That it 6° in 10 months.
So it will take another 60 months = 5 years to travel another 36° to the North Pole.
By that time, all the ice will have melted away...
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

stuck wrote:...everything seems OK.
Except I found it had changed my sounds settings, so I had to put them back to how they should be in order to hear anything.

Ken
PS there is is also the intense annoyance that 1903 (& 1909 which I have at work) will not respect my preferred view in Explorer of the Downloads folder but we all know MS knows best so that one has to be glossed over.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I have Windows 10 Home version 1909. It keeps my Explorer settings without fail.
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

HansV wrote:...It keeps my Explorer settings without fail.
1909 at work does for me too EXCEPT for the Downloads folder, where every time I go back to it, it has reverted to the MS default of grouping by date and not showing the attributes column :hairout:

Ken

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

That's strange!
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

It's a 'feature':
https://www.addictivetips.com/windows-t ... s-10-1903/
Other Googling showed I wasn't alone with an different view reverting to the MS default. The closest I got to a fix was advice on a Major Geeks page (that I can't find now) about setting the view in particular order. That lasted a few days before it undid itself again.

Ken

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I can't remember now whether this happened to me when I installed version 1903.
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

I can see why MS thinks it's a good idea and for users that have no idea about file management (and in my far from humble opinion that would be >95%) it probably does help you find stuff in an other wise endless list. Me though, I'm verging on OCD about file management, my colleagues at work have been know to call me the network folder police :grin:

Ken

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Post by jonwallace »

stuck wrote: my colleagues at work have been know to call me the network folder police :grin:
Somebody has to be, most "normals" haven't a clue about file handling and gaily download and save stuff to all sorts of places. Network drives are the worst. When I looked after IT for our lab, I was routinely contacted by the main IT guys to tidy up our network area when it approached out quota. While a lot of stuff was legit and needed to be accessible by everyone, the root of the shared drive was always full of joke pictures, peoples shopping lists, CV's etc. The first couple of times, I just zipped them all up and deleted the originals, but when I discovered that nobody ever went back, I got into the habit of just deleting stuff. :innocent:

Footnote: I know we are the normals, but they think they are...
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube

Doc.AElstein
BronzeLounger

Post by Doc.AElstein »

I seem to have missed 1903, and probably a few others…

My Windows 10 Pro 64 machine went up to 1909 (build 18363.719) on Tuesday 10th March. This was part of a major attack, the first update attack I have ever experienced on this new machine.
I bought the machine from new a couple of months ago. The machine came with Windows 10 Professional (x64) Version 1803 (build 17134.1246) , which , ( according to a Belarc Advisor listing I did the first time I switched it on) , was installed on 15.th April.2019. According to Wiki that is about a year after 1803 came out.
So it seems I was quite out of date.. ( But some people in threads here have also noted that around March/ April 2019 they were still on 1803, so it is not so unusual, maybe )

I had delayed updates by 35 days and then managed a few weeks on top of that. Eventually one thing after the other got greyed out or was not available, and/ or if I tried to use it I got big red text saying something like
You have delayed updates many times. We are now going to update you on Tuesday 10th March
They kept there promise.

I guess the update step from 1803 to 1909 was quite large, possibly it is unusual to do that? … Maybe for that reason I have so many problems.
After the update , every second thing was ether broken or changed by the update.
But I think I have almost got it back up and running, so all is well now.

Ref
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_1 ... on_history" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.howtogeek.com/235474/how-to ... indows-10/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.eileenslounge.com/viewtopic. ... 20#p248053" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.eileenslounge.com/viewtopic. ... 81#p247461" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.computerbase.de/downloads/b ... indows-10/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I am having difficulty logging in with this account just now.
You can find me at DocAElstein also