Windows 10 Update Warning

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Windows 10 Update Warning

Post by hlewton »

Apparently I need to turn the "Memory Integrity" off in Win 10 because of a latest Win 10 update. I followed these instructions, "To turn memory integrity off, you'll want to head to your Windows 10 settings page, and then navigate to "Update & Security" and then "Windows Security." From there, go to "Device Security" and select "Core isolation details." You'll see the memory integrity setting there, which you can now toggle off." But was never offered the "Core isolation details" option. I did get to "Device security" but that is as far as I could go. Any ideas why and how I can get to it to turn it off?

Thanks
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Re: Windows 10 Update Warning

Post by hlewton »

Standard hardware security not supported

This means that your device does not meet at least one of the requirements of standard hardware security.

Improving hardware security

If the security capability of your device isn't what you'd like it to be, you might need to turn on certain hardware features (such as secure boot, if supported) or change the settings in your system's BIOS. Contact your hardware manufacturer to see what features are supported by your hardware and how to activate them.

I do get the message in bold above but not sure what it means to me or if I need to worry about the latest update.

Any thoughts?
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

There's no need to worry about this.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

OK thanks. Here is what I did, I delayed automatic Windows updates for a month. Should I not have done that?
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

If you don't want Windows to be updated now, it's fine. But you'll have to update eventually...
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:If you don't want Windows to be updated now, it's fine. But you'll have to update eventually...
It's really not that I don't want Windows to update, it's concern over this article that came out: "Microsoft has also issued a warning about this stating: “We're aware of issues with signtool.exe after installing the latest optional update for Windows 10, version 1903 or Windows 10, version 1909 (KB4535996). ... On the Installed Updates dialog window, find and select KB4535996, click the Uninstall button." and this: https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkell ... 600d756b35 I know you said there is no reason to worry about this but I am hesitant to let Windows update. Can you tell me why I shouldn't worry? Thanks.
Regards,
hlewton

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Everything is fine and dandy in Windows 10 land. :grin: I'll move there soon. :crybaby: :groan:

I see no problems temporarily blocking, if possible, an optional non-security update such as KB4535996.

At this point I agree with Woody in his article.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Argus wrote:Everything is fine and dandy in Windows 10 land. :grin: I'll move there soon. :crybaby: :groan:

I see no problems temporarily blocking, if possible, an optional non-security update such as KB4535996.

At this point I agree with Woody in his article.
Thank you. I did search my updates for KB4535996 but didn't see it. According to the article you linked above it said it was an optional update. I do not recall being asked about any optional update but not sure that happens anyhow.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

WOW that's interesting. What started all this for me was my wife got a news alert on her phone this morning. Glad it isn't true.
Regards,
hlewton

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

At the time MSFT had said they were aware of issues with the Visual Studio-thing (and then there were some installation problems for some). Still an optional.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

garbsmj
4StarLounger

Post by garbsmj »

All I know is that yesterday, which was one my worst days with software, my Visual Studio reported 2 c# scripts with the same name and so I searched for the duplicate but there was none so had to copy the innards of the script, delete it, and set it up again. Set up a new script with the same name, pasted the code back and no, duplicate again. Then I saw a MS update, sighed, and updated. The duplication went away.

VS bug? Just another day? Who knows. :flee:
When one cat leaves, another mysteriously shows up.