Partitioning Windows 10 to separate data from OS and program

NotQuite
3StarLounger

Partitioning Windows 10 to separate data from OS and program

Post by NotQuite »

Hello, I hope this is the right place to post this, if not feel free to move it.

I recently purchased a refurbished Dell Inspiron 3521 laptop. I has basically only Windows 10 pro and very few other programs on it. I would like to partition the HDD to separate the programs and data. Not really sure how to go about this. My intention is to use this as a trial platform to get used to Windows 10. I would like to basically copy many of my programs and data from my existing Windows 7 to the new system to get used to things.

1. Should I install the programs that I have and expect to use, before attempting the partitioning ?

2. How much space should I use for the OS/Program partition ? The C drive appears to have about 400 GB available of 470 GB.

3. If possible, could someone point me to a fairly simple and clear tutorial on the basics of partitioning for what I have in mind. I have tried googling but am finding such a large number of sites that I get confused.

Thanks in advance
Regards: NotQuite

Not So Damp in Lotus Land

HansV
Administrator

Re: Partitioning Windows 10 to separate data from OS and pro

Post by HansV »

I have moved this thread from the Windows General forum to the Windows 10 forum.
Best wishes,
Hans

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

NoteQuite,
What do you plan on gaining in doing this?
If there is a hardware failure, then all partitions are gone.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

NotQuite
3StarLounger

Post by NotQuite »

DaveA wrote:NoteQuite,
What do you plan on gaining in doing this?
If there is a hardware failure, then all partitions are gone.
I understand that. I simply would like to make my backup/imaging routine faster and simpler. This would reduce the need to backup/image the full disc as often. Also this is a Laptop and as I understand things installing a separate hard drive for the OS/programs would be rather difficult.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

How to repartition my system disk?

I see now that they've changed the address a bit. There is still a free version, I think, the link For Home (not the Free Trial).
(Or this link https://www.easeus.com/partition-manager/epm-free.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
NotQuite wrote:1. Should I install the programs that I have and expect to use, before attempting the partitioning ?
If you do it will certainly make it easier to answer the next question. :smile:
NotQuite wrote:2. How much space should I use for the OS/Program partition ? The C drive appears to have about 400 GB available of 470 GB.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

NotQuite
3StarLounger

Post by NotQuite »

Argus

Thanks For the info. Figured as much about the program install, but as I am rather new to this stuff ...

I will look at your partitioning suggestion and likely get back here later.

Thanks again.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I always partition my disks to simplify my backup schedule. I create a C: partition that is big enough to hold all OS and application files, with plenty of headroom for future expansion, and reserve the rest of the space for data. I then move the default windows libraries (Documents, Pictures, etc.) to the D: partition. I usually do this quite early in the setup process as some applications create folders under the default documents folder.
StuartR

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Ditto, as Stuart said.

On my main PC, however, I have not partitioned the system drive, since I have other disks for user data.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Argus wrote:On my main PC, however, I have not partitioned the system drive, since I have other disks for user data.
Me too.

Ken

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Yes, me too. Laptops usually have a single partitioned drive. Desktops usually have separate OS and data drives.
StuartR

Doc.AElstein
BronzeLounger

Manage Partitions on Windows Without Using Any Software

Post by Doc.AElstein »

The simple way.. … Manage Partitions on Windows Without Using Any Software
NotQuite wrote:... could someone point me to a fairly simple and clear tutorial on the basics of partitioning....
I am late to the Windows 10 party here,.. but I am finally just starting to experiment with my new Window 10 computer……

( It had windows 10 and not much else on it, ( A few bits of free software had been pre installed, not much.) )
The hard drive was fairly small by what I think are today’s standards, it was given as 250GB HDD in the sales info. Looking at the “My Computer” explorer window it was showing me that 190GB were free from a total of 232GB )

The first thing I decided to do was to try and partition the main C: drive..
( My next experiment will be to re install Windows 10 for the hell of it, and also try to install an earlier Operation system on the computer to have a “dual boot” system.
Hence , I thought partitioning was a good idea as my first experiment ***** )
_.______________________________________________________________________
NotQuite wrote:... I have tried googling but am finding such a large number of sites that I get confused....
Me to. As often the internet seems flooded with info.
Without thinking too much about it I collected as many YouTube Tutorials as I could google, downloaded them , converted them into WMV windows media player format, then let them all run on a spare computer in the background while I did something else for a couple of days.. Right click on them all and select play.jpg https://imgur.com/uFPSoPm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My conclusions
As far as I can tell there is a very simple way to partition in Windows 10 that currently seems to be used 95% of the time. Commonly it might be called something along the lines of “Shrinking in Windows 10” and /or "Using the built in Windows Disc Manager"
Using this method , partitions can easily be created and edited with the Operating system and programs already installed.
So the answer to this..
NotQuite wrote:...1. Should I install the programs that I have and expect to use, before attempting the partitioning ?....
… is probably if you use the this “Shrinking in Windows 10” way, then the answer is Yes

Further , if you use this way then the answer to this …
NotQuite wrote:.... How much space should I use for the OS/Program partition ? ....
…. is, … you don’t need to worry about that, - that will be done for you: It will tell you the minimum that you should leave for the existing stuff which is being shrunk…….

The basic idea seems to be to “shrink” the existing stuff on the main Hard Drive, which leaves you a bit free, which you can them format, and use effectively , as if it was a new separate drive …_ which is basically, as I understand it, what partitioning is all about. …_
_.. In other words, after doing the “shrinking” and a few other simple steps, you finally have your “effective” two partitions: One contains the Operating System and all that you had already on your main hard drive, the other you can do what you want to, for example
_ installing another operating system
Or
_ using it for some Back up / repair / restore / image thing
Or
_ just use it like another storage device

_._______________________-

External Third Party Software might do it a bit better:
If I have understood correctly, the most common way offered by Windows 10 , this “Shrinking in Windows 10” way, it is pretty good, but not maybe the best.
If you alternatively use some other good established external software, then you may be able to do it a bit better. The reason for this is because without windows running you can shift everything, and so can shrink a bit better: If you use the way offered by Windows 10 , then some bits of software that are in use can’t be shifted too well – just as the old saying goes …”You can’t shift a Rake while ya standing on it”… :)
To get the external software to work you are likely going to need to do stuff like interrupt your computer starting and get it to start up from something like an external DVD. So it is a bit more difficult..

_._____

The YouTube tutorials explain it all a lot better than I can. I have a full list here, , English:- https://tinyurl.com/wv92al5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ,. German:- https://tinyurl.com/wxmj8tx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; , which includes links to where I have stored the downloaded and converted WMV windows media player files.

I have organised that list in approximately the order of what I found the most useful or easiest to understand. Most of them are very similar in content.
So probably the first few would be all you needed to get a good idea about the most common way people seem to be partitioning Windows 10 things ….
I also have started making my own notes on my experiments with Windows 10, which for the greater glory of God and for the sake of Humanity I am sharing..
The stuff on partitioning, which is the first stuff I did, starts from about here: http://www.excelfox.com/forum/showthrea ... #post12119 https://tinyurl.com/yxxvke48" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

_._______________________-

Maybe that all might be of interest to someone wanting to partition in the future who stumbles over this thread, as I did when I was searching for info on partitioning in Windows 10

Alan

( P.S. ***** One last point. It seems that during the instillation / re instillation of windows 10, you get the option early on in the instillation to do some similar partitioning which sounds at first glance to be this same Shrinking idea.
When I do my re instillation , or later, if I think I have anything worth adding about partitioning, I will report back… )
Last edited by Doc.AElstein on 31 Jan 2020, 13:37, edited 4 times in total.
I am having difficulty logging in with this account just now.
You can find me at DocAElstein also

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

I use a FREE third party tool to do a LOT of re-organizing of my HDD. It's free and does alot more things that the pricey paid editions charge you to do.
MINITOOL Partition Wizard
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Doc.AElstein
BronzeLounger

Post by Doc.AElstein »

viking33 wrote:I use a ...MINITOOL Partition Wizard
That’s interesting.
I have no experience at all and was doing it for the first time.
I searched the internet specifically for partitioning to do with Windows 10, and almost all the info and tutorials were talking about using the internal “shrinking via the Disk management “ type way.
It was incredibly easy to understand and do. Even I managed to do it successfully in a couple of minutes. And it takes about 10 seconds to undo and return to what you had before

The only 3rd party software I came across when searching was GParted.

I will stay with the simple method for now.
I am reading up now on Device Driver back up ( http://www.excelfox.com/forum/showthrea ... #post12122" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) ( although in Windows 10 that hardly seems necessary, as apparently Windows 10 is very good at doing all that for you at the end of an instillation.)

I will then move onto being confident in re installing the operating system .

Then I might start again , and then look more at third party software for partitioning.
I expect if I leave out the “10” when searching, and just search for windows partitioning, or even just partitioning, then I will probably get more third party stuff,(..... as well as a head ache from the vast amount of stuff that comes back to read about !! )
I am having difficulty logging in with this account just now.
You can find me at DocAElstein also