Snipping Tool for Pop-Ups

BobH
UraniumLounger

Snipping Tool for Pop-Ups

Post by BobH »

I know that I'm a few bricks short of a full load, but I can't seem to grasp this process . . . pun intended.

I really need to capture a ss of a popup to get help from Dropbox support. I tried all I knew to do then searched the web and found this:
pop up snipping tool.PNG
Following these instructions do not work for me and I cannot figure out what I'm doing wrong.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

Doc.AElstein
BronzeLounger

Re: Snipping Tool for Pop-Ups

Post by Doc.AElstein »

Hi Bob
I didn’t know this was possible. – usually when you go to launch Snipping Tool , then any Pop up goes away. So like a lot of people I do a screen shot by
Ctrl + Print ( when all is there including the pop up that I want a screen shot of )
Then launch Microsoft Paint
Paste in that ( Ctrl+V at this point should put the entire screen at the time of Ctrl + Print into Microsoft Pint )
Then do a snipping tool on that

BUT

I just followed those instructions and they work for me!!!

So that is new for me

I did like in your pic

Launch Snipping tool
Hit Esc
Now bring the pop up up that I want to get a screen shot of
Then Ctrl+Print

Then I am at the normal point where I can
Left click at top left, then drag across

That works for me. But that is a new one on me

Alan
Last edited by Doc.AElstein on 22 Jan 2019, 16:29, edited 2 times in total.
I am having difficulty logging in with this account just now.
You can find me at DocAElstein also

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

If you are running Windows 10 version 1809 you can use the new Snip & Sketch tool. Display the drop down. Use the hotkey for S&S - the default is Win+Shift+S. Use the tools, crosshairs by default, to capture what you want.
Joe

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Glad it worked for you Doc!

Joe, I'm running Windows 10 but I don't know the version number. I clicked the search function and entered Windows version and got a screen, but if it has a version number I'm missing it. Is there another way to check the version number?
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

OK! I am running w10-1809
win 10 vers.PNG
I tried the Windows>Shift>5 combination and got nada. I then searched for it and found likewise.
???? :hairout:

:cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

DOH! I can't even follow instructions. The combo is Windows>Shift>S not five. These cataracts are gonna drive me over the edge before they take them out.

It worked perfectly when I did it right.

Thanks, Joe!

But, but, but . . . The snipped ss disappears before I can save it?

Remember that I warned about being bricks shy of a load . . . . :hairout:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

Check what's in your clipboard...
Leif

Doc.AElstein
BronzeLounger

Post by Doc.AElstein »

Bob,
Just to be sure we are talking about the same thing
_1 Start Snipping Tool : Launch Snipping Tool Somehow.JPG : https://imgur.com/Egc0JQN" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
_2 I see Blurred haze.. I see Blurred Haze.JPG : https://imgur.com/LGI0KsQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ( Snipping tool small window is still there )
_ 3 At this point I hit Esc, and that takes off the haze: the screen is clear, no longer hazy, but the small Snipping tool window is still there
_4 I can now get up my pop up or whatever… ( Snipping tool small window is still there )
_5 Now I hit the two keys together, Ctrl+Print
_6 The screen goes hazy again, but my pop up remains. ( Snipping tool small window is still there )
_7 Now use Snipping tool as usual:
_7a move cursor to where I want to have screen shot top left .
_7b hold left mouse down and drag down to bottom right.
_ 7c Release mouse once you are at your wanted bottom right
_7d Save or whatever as usual

That does not work for you ? at what point does it crap up for you?
Last edited by Doc.AElstein on 22 Jan 2019, 17:31, edited 3 times in total.

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

You should get a notification which says "Snip saved to clipboard" "Select here to …."

Note: If you have more than one item in the clipboard use Win+V to select the one you want.
Joe

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

JoeP wrote:If you are running Windows 10 version 1809 you can use the new Snip & Sketch tool. Display the drop down. Use the hotkey for S&S - the default is Win+Shift+S. Use the tools, crosshairs by default, to capture what you want.
Another method:
If you have Windows 10 1809 , the Snip & Sketch Tool also enables you to take a delayed screenshot. Open the Snip Tool. On the icon menu, click “Delay” and choose how many seconds you would like to delay before the moment your screenshot is captured.
After you have selected the screenshot's delay time to 10sec (you need a bit of time ... well, I do :grin: ), click the “New” button and set up your new screen/screen clip shot including drop downs.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

Doc.AElstein
BronzeLounger

Post by Doc.AElstein »

_....And if all else fails… dig out an older digital camera, one with a charging cable with a USB connector on it. Take a photo of what you want, stick the USB cable in your computer, open the camera with windows explorer and look for the DCIM Folder ….. :-)
Ludwig The Great

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Leif: I finally tumbled to the clipboard placement.

Doc: I open the program and press ESC and nothing happens. I didn't have to resort to a digital camera or my iPhone. Snip & Sketch took care of me after I got past the learning curve acquisition.

Joe: Thanks for the tip on Clipboard. I didn't know that trick.

Ron: I intend to play with the delay feature.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Just a follow up to thank everyone again and to report that I'm tickled pink with the Snip & Sketch solution for screenshots. I've even removed the icon for the Snipping Tool from my systray security blanket.

:cheers: :chocciebar: :cheers:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

Doc.AElstein
BronzeLounger

Post by Doc.AElstein »

Hello
I remember this Thread from a while back, and thought it was worth searching for it and adding to it. …. I got the same problem after updates, and fixed it..
This might help someone searching in the future with a Snipping Tool for Pop-Ups problem
_.______
So, I actually first learnt of the hitting Escape trick ( Step 2.-4. In Bobs original first post ) in snipping tool from this Thread, and have found that particularly useful since, in Vista, Windows7 and just recently in my new Windows10 computer.

This thread was prompted by that Esc not working in Windows 10. – from here http://www.eileenslounge.com/viewtopic. ... 49#p245072" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . … press ESC and nothing happens

After updates this problem happened to me. It consistently did not work anymore. – I had the press ESC and nothing happens problem. :(
Also the Snipping tool changed a bit to look like this
20200316 SnipKiller.jpg : https://imgur.com/InFyLs8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SnipKiller.jpg
One of the very noticeable changes is that “advertisement” about „Ausschneiden und skizzieren“ – that is , I guess the “Snip & Sketch” tool discussed also in this Thread.
Here is the approximate translation…
Snipping Tool will be moved to another page in a future update. With "Cut and sketch" (or Windows logo key + Shift + S) you can create familiar screen sections and also use improved features.
Test Cut Out and Sketch

This is all consistent with my recent research into Windows 10 . I have read several comments suggesting that Microsoft through updates move / remove Snipping Tool and are encouraging the Snip & Sketch alternative instead.
( As a result of the update, one of the new things I have is Snip & Sketch version 10.1907.2471.0 (64-bit) )

_.. So …comments relevant to this Thread:

_ 1) Updates changed my Snipping Tool somehow. After this the “Snipping Tool for Pop-Ups” function no longer worked……( additionally my keyboard and mouse was working erratically after the said updates )

_ 2) I got Snipping Tool back working fully now, as it was previously, before the updates.. .
This is how.. to fix my keyboard and mouse I kept changing both and fiddling about with all keys, including pressing the Esc key a lot. At one point I was quite angry and took my frustration out on the Esc key. Hitting it many times . At this point the Esc key started doing what it always did in Snipping Tool. ( I found a keyboard that worked OK. No mouse is working correctly, but as they were all quite old, I have ordered some new ones – I am hoping that will cure that problem )

I can’t be too sure exactly what cured the problem. But if you are experiencing the problem to which this Thread is about, then I think hitting your Esc key a lot, in combination with disconnecting and re connecting your keyboard and mouse , is worth a try as it might cure the problem, as it has appeared to with me

Sorry it is not a more scientific solution…
If I get the problem again, and get a better , more scientific solution, then I will report back

Alan