Windows 10 Defender

RonH
SilverLounger

Windows 10 Defender

Post by RonH »

Just back from vacation and the latest features update has downloaded. After many reboots I now have a working system, though it took a lot of reboots, crashes etc to get to this stage. All appears to be now functioning except there is no access to the Defender via System/Update & Security. Clicking on Open Windows Security states that I need to get an additional app but I can't find anything about Defender on the Microsoft Windows App site.
Any ideas so that I can access this again for the occasional forced scan :scratch:
Defender.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Windows 10 Defender

Post by HansV »

Best wishes,
Hans

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Thanks for taking time out Hans.

Checking the link you sent to me:

1. Restart your PC
Many times over

2. Remove existing antivirus and antispyware software
None installed other than Malwarebytes free version only.

3. Scan your PC for malwares
Scanned with Malwarebytes OK

6. Restart Security Center Service
Rt Clicking displays Restart but all options are greyed out

7. Delete conflicting Registry Entry.
No conflicting entry

4/5 are a bit over my head just now due to jet lag! But I think the most 'interesting' is that the Security Centre Service can not be restarted?
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Om my PC, Security Center works OK, but Restart is also greyed out, so I don't think that provides a clue.

Welcome back home, by the way.

I'd try the System File Checker (SFC) next. You can run it in scan mode first to see what it comes up with. Nothing will be changed.
Best wishes,
Hans

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Thanks for the welcome, Hans. But from warm climates to snow and ice is challenging.

Whatever, a most productive start to the day. Microsoft have downloaded 'something' to my pc which has corrected my lack of access to Security Centre. Probably some file that did not download correctly during the features upgrade. Maybe some of these issues that pop up each time a new W10 update is offered may be due to a W7 - W10 upgrade rather than a clean W10 install. I am loath to go down the path of a clean install because I have other Apps, each of which would have to be reinstalled. Since these features updates are only every 6 months I think I will 'leave as is'.

Hopefully this post is closed :thankyou:
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Happy to hear that it's working again.
Best wishes,
Hans