Windows 10 version 1809 released

jstevens
GoldLounger

Re: Windows 10 version 1809 released

Post by jstevens »

Microsoft reached out to me yesterday following up on the challenges I was encountering. This was unexpected and two thumbs up for Microsoft Support. In a nut shell "problem solved". The support person downloaded a Windows 10 ISO and did a reinstall keeping files and software. The reinstall addressed the latest update challenges I was having and I'm in a good place. Apparently various fixes were in the ISO and I didn't lose any files.

:whisper: In a good place...You were the guinea pig.
Regards,
John

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Good to hear that!
Best wishes,
Hans

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

A tweet from Windows Insider Program leader Dona Sarkar says to see the known issues section of Windows 10 update history.

Note: if you've updated and you go to your Docs folder and there are files there you are good.
Joe

ridders
NewLounger

Post by ridders »

I had major problems with 1803 breaking the geolocation service in IE (and stopping a major feature in one of my Access apps!).
After 5 months, this was still not working despite me reporting it in May & MS releasing a failed 'fix' in June.

So I took a gamble & updated to 1809 on 4 Oct when it appeared in Windows update. Mistake!
I didn't lose files AFAIK BUT I had other serious issues ...
a) I had to uninstall Virtual Box before I could run the update. I reinstalled afterwards but it didn't work
b) My Comodo code signing certificate couldn't be used in v1809. This stopped me distributing updates to two of my apps the next day
c) The geolocation service issue remained broken

I uninstalled it after 2 days as it was having a significant effect on me testing & distributing my apps.
The same day MS withdrew the update due to what they call 'isolated' problems'
Can't be that isolated for them to respond like that

The upgrade model is so seriously flawed that even their support staff are recommending users block updates for as long as possible
Last edited by ridders on 07 Oct 2018, 22:43, edited 1 time in total.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

A painful mistake by Microsoft!
Best wishes,
Hans

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Seems they have the reasons...
https://www.pcworld.com/article/3312642 ... lders.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I guess that if the Cloud is not activated and all files are saved locally, then losses would/will not occur?
Last edited by RonH on 10 Oct 2018, 06:07, edited 1 time in total.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Oh dear, this really went well. There's always something new and intersting happening with Windows Evergreen (a.k.a. 10).
Today we take the next step towards the re-release of the Windows 10 October 2018 Update by providing the updated version to our Windows Insider community. We will carefully study the results, feedback, and diagnostic data from our Insiders before taking additional steps towards re-releasing more broadly.
Seems apt, returning to ye old times... now that everyone's a beta tester.

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperi ... -insiders/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

This ... :bananas:
Prior to re-releasing the October 2018 Update our engineering investigation determined that a very small number of users lost files during the October 2018 Update. This occurred if Known Folder Redirection (KFR) had been previously enabled, but files remain in the original “old” folder location vs being moved to the new, redirected location. KFR is the process of redirecting the known folders of Windows including Desktop, Documents, Pictures, Screenshots, Videos, Camera Roll, etc. from the default folder location, c:\users\username\<folder name>, to a new folder location. In previous feedback from the Windows 10 April 2018 Update, users with KFR reported an extra, empty copy of Known Folders on their device. Based on feedback from users, we introduced code in the October 2018 Update to remove these empty, duplicate known folders. That change, combined with another change to the update construction sequence, resulted in the deletion of the original “old” folder locations and their content, leaving only the new “active” folder intact.
The Register has been having multiple field days :laugh: with headlines such as:
Day two – and Windows 10 October 2018 Update trips over Intel audio
On the third day of Windows Microsoft gave to me: A file-munching run of DELTREE
RonH wrote:I guess that if the Cloud is not activated and all files are saved locally, then losses would/will not occur?
As mentioned in the article it also included secondary drives.

(Yes, even if this "file-munching" feature was rare, 1/100 of one percent, or whatever, and made those that stumbled on other problems feel lucky, their releases are sloppy.)
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

But I think 'secondary drives' means that it is where your files are stored? If files are in normal pc disc location but you take a copy on ext hd for file security, do you think Argus that this an issue. They are not linked.
Glad I am not a Microsoft volunteer beta tester :flee:
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

We can all agree that this is a painful and shameful mess, but in Microsoft's defence, they are NOT re-releasing the October 2018 update to ordinary users yet - only to those in the Windows Insider program. "Insiders" are deliberately and willingly acting as guinea pigs, and they should never use a production computer for this.
Best wishes,
Hans

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

True (and mentioned in my first quote), guess it's called "slow" and "preview" rings etc., or similar; the fast lane is probably already in 2019. But that's the re-release.

As mentioned in this article, by Gregg Keizer, the idea is still to consider just about everyone as a tester in some way or other:
Windows 10 Home users - predominantly consumers - are forced to accept every feature upgrade and are not meant to delay the installation of those upgrades, or the monthly waves of security and non-security updates. (Other customer classes can defer upgrades and updates.) Windows 10 Home receives each feature upgrade first, with an interval of weeks or months between that debut and when Microsoft announces that the refresh is suitable for business deployment.

There's a reason why Microsoft made Home this way.

"By putting devices on the Current branch for Business, enterprises will be able to receive feature updates after their quality and application compatibility has been assessed in the consumer market," wrote Jim Alkove in early 2015 (emphasis added). Alkove was then director of program management for Microsoft's enterprise group. "By the time Current branch for Business machines are updated, the changes will have been validated by millions of Insiders, consumers and customers' internal test processes for several months, allowing updates to be deployed with this increased assurance of validation."

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

My laptop just announced that the update was ready. Installing it took not much longer than any other reboot and everything seems to be working normally afterwords, including FoxIT PhantomPDF.
StuartR

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Well, I agree that this should NOT have happened, BUT, why did it not appear in the "Insiders" version?
Maybe they are all smart enough in not redirecting their "User" files to some other drive.
I have never been in favor of this option and have seen way to many fails.
It appears that no one lost any files, just the "Redirection" link was included and was using the Users folder on the system drive.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

DaveA wrote:Well, I agree that this should NOT have happened, BUT, why did it not appear in the "Insiders" version?
Maybe they are all smart enough in not redirecting their "User" files to some other drive.
I can agree with this part: that it should not have happened.
(Disclaimer: I'm not an "insider".)

I wouldn't use the words "Maybe they are all smart enough ...".
Pro primo: As mentioned on the web, Microsoft skipped the final Release Preview Ring in their Insider Program, that's a new one, and released it to the general public, or rather, it seems, released it to both on the same day (with the usual: offered it in waves etc. as mentioned above).

Pro secundo: It has been mentioned at different places that problems were indeed mentioned by insider testers, several times, as reported by among other The Register with links to among other these posts:

June release.
In August problem with another release.

Pro tertio &c: It seems these, and other, reports didn't get enough "up votes", a rather low volume, but with serious consequences. There have been comments about the Insider Program and how feedback has been handled. https://twitter.com/StephenCWLL/status/ ... wsrc%5Etfw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It comes as no surprise that Microsoft now are adding new features "impact" and "severity" as metrics to the Feedback hub. (Then it's a different matter if that will work with non-professional beta testers.)

There have also been general comments over time about the current cadence, with two updates, being too much, for example here; developers fixing errors in the old one and a new release in just a couple of months; add the abovementioned Insider Program (instead of using paid software testers) and flaws in the feedback system, and there are bound to be problems.
DaveA wrote:I have never been in favor of this option and have seen way to many fails.
Known Folder Redirection is something else than using a built-in tool to actually move user docs from a folder in the user profile to a folder on another drive, not redirecting new files to the cloud etc. (The example you mentioned in another thread, and I asked for, mentioned moving user profiles; that has always been a really bad idea (and wasn't what were discussed at the time, moving docs etc.).)
DaveA wrote:It appears that no one lost any files, just the "Redirection" link was included and was using the Users folder on the system drive.
If no files are lost then we are back to happy days.