Printing Preferences

RonH
SilverLounger

Printing Preferences

Post by RonH »

Just installed HP Envy 4525 (4520) printer, downloaded basic software, installed and printer connects via my WiFi and prints ... but in B/W only. The previous printer I used (which just self destructed) previously printed OK all colours.
When attempting to check the Envy Printing Preferences I get the following message:
Printing Preferences.JPG
I uninstalled all pc HP Envy software, used CCleaner and reinstalled software which again failed to print in colour. I downloaded the HP software again (carefully checking for correct version) and same result.

I also installed the printing software into an ageing Vista and it functions correctly in colour.

Woukd appreciate some advice.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Printing Preferences

Post by HansV »

Did you download the driver from https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/se ... l/11534748" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ?
Best wishes,
Hans

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Hi, Ron. Unusual problem, one would think. But it has been mentioned in HP's forums, perhaps you have seen these threads.
Preferences wont open for my envy 4520 printer . prints bw only .test page prints color.

You've done quite a bit of troubleshooting. There are some tips in this thread about 5540.
There is a YT video about one of the tips from the 5540 thread, selecting correct printer.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

HansV wrote:Did you download the driver from https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/se ... l/11534748" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ?
Yep. Went a different route but same download as far as I can tell.
EN4520_Basicx64_1122.exe
File Version 1.4.1926.0
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Argus wrote:Hi, Ron. Unusual problem, one would think. But it has been mentioned in HP's forums, perhaps you have seen these threads.
Preferences wont open for my envy 4520 printer . prints bw only .test page prints color.

You've done quite a bit of troubleshooting. There are some tips in this thread about 5540.
There is a YT video about one of the tips from the 5540 thread, selecting correct printer.
Yes thanks Argus ... I saw this but have not yet followed it through, only uninstalled sw and reinstalled.
(Amazing that an old Vista loaded up like a hot knife through butter!)

Perhaps if I can't solve in the near term I may try the full featured version though I hate all the 'extra's' which I simply will not use.
Thanks for taking time out Hans & Argus
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Early morning start :fanfare:
The above link suggests a solution ... Thus:

If the issue persists then let us uninstall the printer drivers from the root level and then reinstall them. The following steps will help:

In Windows, search for and open Programs and Features.
Select your HP printer.
Select Uninstall.
In Windows, search for and open Devices and Printers.
In the Devices and Printers window look for your HP Printer. If you see it listed, right-click on it and choose "Delete" or "Remove Device.”
Open up the run command with the "Windows Key + R" key combo.

Type printui.exe /s and click OK.
Click on Drivers tab.
Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it click on it and click Remove at the bottom.
Select OK.
Select Apply and OK on the Print Server Properties window.
Close Devices and Printers.
You may download and install the drivers from this link

Is this a safe procedure and how does this improve on a simple programme removal followed by Ccleaner and reboot?
You would hope that HP pc's would function with HP printers!
Cheers Ron
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

After posting the above, I decided to follow this procedure. No additional drivers etc were found on the pc after doing just a simple Uninstall.
I then rebooted and installed the Full Feature driver package with precisely the same result ... colour failed to print. One wonders where suppliers \hide\ when serious problems go unresolved.

Could this issue be a result of W7 upgrade to W10. I am loath to do a full Windows 10 clean install because of all the other programmes I use associated with video production etc.

Unless there are further suggestions from Eileen then I guess I will have to call HP Support ... bit I am quite sure they will instruct me to repeat all that I have done, over and over. And my final solution is to return the printer and purchase anything other than an HP printer. :sad:
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

RonH wrote:...purchase anything other than an HP printer...
I can't help you with your HP problem but if you do go looking for an alternative printer then I can recommend the Epson Expression Photo XP-960.

Ken

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Thanks Ken. That printer is expensive here. I'm looking at an alternative ... Epson XP-442 which is compact and has reasonable reviews.

We use a printer for docs with the occasional picture print ... we get most pics via CEWE/dealer. What I have to take care of is language ... need English rather than Norwegian. I will persevere with the HP for a few more days but really doubt we will find a solution.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

RonH wrote:...That printer is expensive here...
OK, I only suggested it because I know you are a photographer and as I have one myself, I can vouch for the quality of the prints it produces.

Ken

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

stuck wrote:
RonH wrote:...That printer is expensive here...
OK, I only suggested it because I know you are a photographer and as I have one myself, I can vouch for the quality of the prints it produces.

Ken
Much appreciated Ken. I usually keep images in digital with my lady extracting some for 6x4's in her albums.
Cheers Ron
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

We have a solution!
It was necessary to 'install' another HP Envy 4525 printer driver as a default, locked to a specific router IPv4 Address. An exhausting process (for me) with HP to finally get the solution. They have promised to send the command chain by email ... if it is of any use I will try to post relevant actions in this thread.

You can see that I now have '2 printers for the price of one' :grin:
Capture.JPG
Thanks for all your thoughts
Cheers Ron
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Good to hear that it has been solved!
Best wishes,
Hans

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Thanks Hans ... I hope that she emails the 'command chain' as promised. It has to do with locking the 2nd artificial device into a specific IP Address though I have no idea why but the way she guided me through the overall process with such ease is suggestive of much practice.

See how we go these next weeks and if it hiccups then its back to the store and hello to Epson. You get a 50 day return policy here which is very good ... thankfully never had to use it up until now.
Cheers Ron
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Good to hear it seems to be solved, Ron.

I didn't have time to look closer at it, but as mentioned in the thread about 5540, above, one should probably see more than one printer device (I do for my Canon), and that there might be some link between having all necessary drivers and selecting the correct device.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Argus wrote:Good to hear it seems to be solved, Ron.

I didn't have time to look closer at it, but as mentioned in the thread about 5540, above, one should probably see more than one printer device (I do for my Canon), and that there might be some link between having all necessary drivers and selecting the correct device.
Thanks for taking time out. My older (failed printer) has only one entry ... I think the 23 yo lady at HP has a better trained brain than this old f**t :grin:
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

kdock
5StarLounger

Post by kdock »

I only have one printer entry for my HP, but multiples for Canon and my ex-Epson.
RonH wrote: ... I think the 23 yo lady at HP has a better trained brain than this old f**t :grin:
You have an old foot? Is it older than the rest of you? :bananas:

Kim
"Hmm. What does this button do?" Said everyone before being ejected from a car, blown up, or deleting all the data from the mainframe.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

kdock wrote:I only have one printer entry for my HP, but multiples for Canon and my ex-Epson.
RonH wrote: ... I think the 23 yo lady at HP has a better trained brain than this old f**t :grin:
You have an old foot? Is it older than the rest of you? :bananas:

Kim
:grin: :grin: :grin: My foot is fine :grin: :grin:

I think HP have fudged a solution with a virtual printer driver. But OK it works and still is this morning ... oh me of little faith.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

This is the summary from HP ... can't say that I understand how black can print but colour not :scratch: I never lost connection so think that it must be some unresolved W10 compatibility issues.

To solve the issue with your printer not printing in color from your PC, we added it in "Devices and printers" with TCP/IP, that is , the printers IP address and the already installed drivers for the printer. This solved the issue.
To secure the connection between the printer and the PC, we also set a so called static IP, or manual IP in the printers EWS. This is to make sure that the router doesn't give a new IP adress to the printer, so the connection will be lost between the printer and the pc.
There might have been something with the software not working properly, since we knew it could print color from Vista on the other printer.. but with only the drivers, it should work fine.

Suffice to say they contacted me again today, both email and phone, to follow up. Their service has been exceptional ... though one does not anticipate such issues arising in the first place.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Just for information.

Today I decided to install HP Envy 4525 driver on my lady's new W10 pc, went through the semi-auto install procedure for WiFi connection and the connection was made with printing in both black and colour. Given the earlier problems that I experienced with my W10 I can only conclude that the issue must somehow relate to software factors that apply to the W7/W10 free upgrade.

So that set up was easy :clapping: giving me some unsuccessful hours to copy her Vista Mail Contacts to Outlook.com. I have tried various .csv including the click link within the Vista Contacts export ... all without success :scratch:
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.