Tell Me about Edge

BobH
UraniumLounger

Tell Me about Edge

Post by BobH »

I have this Win 10 laptop. It has Edge, Internet Explorer and Firefox installed. This seems to be too much, but knowing Microsoft they've embedded Edge into the OS making it difficult to be rid of.

My question is: Can Edge be safely deleted? I never use it. I use Firefox for a browser but leave IE installed because there are rare occasion when it is the only viable solution.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

JoeP
SilverLounger

Re: Tell Me about Edge

Post by JoeP »

Edge is difficult to remove. Try this:
Run PowerShell as administrator.
Use this command: "Get-AppxPackage *edge* | Remove-AppxPackage" (without the quotation marks).
Joe

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

BobH wrote:I have this Win 10 laptop. It has Edge, Internet Explorer and Firefox installed. This seems to be too much...
Why do you say it seems too much? My Win 10 PC has FF as it's default browser and IE and Edge will be lurking somewhere but they don't get in the way so why fix something that ain't broke? Especially when Joe says:
JoeP wrote:Edge is difficult to remove...
Plus I'll lay odds that, at best, Edge will just reappear again the next time there's a significat update to Win 10 or at worst because you've removed Edge the next significant update will not go as smoothly as it should for you because with Edge missing in action your PC will be not as the MS updater expects it to be.

Ken

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

BobH wrote:
29 Jun 2018, 22:58
... Can Edge be safely deleted?
Hello Bob, I am wading through back-issues of Win10. Did you remove Edge (two years ago)?
And if so, what happened?

(1) It crept back in on each update
(2) Updates went awry?
(3) anything else?
Thanks
Chris
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Have a read at https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/ho ... 10-solved/

BUT note:
Removing Microsoft Edge could lead to stability issues. We always recommend that you change your default browser settings instead of uninstalling it if it’s not too unbearable. If you insist on removing it, you’re at your own peril.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

DaveA wrote:
12 Jul 2020, 14:31
Have a read at ... BUT note:
Removing Microsoft Edge could lead to stability issues.
Thank you, Dave.
Read; and Duly Noted.
Truth is that to a degree I am basically wandering the aisles of knowledge to see what I can do, might do, how it might be done. There is so much terminology to a guy who is running Win7 but in his heart running WinXP (and in his dreams Win3.1) that it will take me a while to feel comfortable with the Win10 terminology.
"Disabling Edge" is, for me, a short exploration in "How to disable something" in Win10.
Thanks again
Chris

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
12 Jul 2020, 15:25
"Disabling Edge" is, for me, a short exploration in "How to disable something" in Win10."
If you don't wan to use Edge, just ignore it. The effort required to do anything else with it is way, way, beyond any benefit you (might think) will get.

Ken

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Howdy, Chris!

On advice and after a bit of reading web articles, I did not remove Edge. It remains on my laptop. I don't use it, and I don't like having software loaded that I don't use, but MS don't seem to leave me much of an option.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
12 Jul 2020, 15:25
Truth is that to a degree I am basically wandering the aisles of knowledge to see what I can do, might do, how it might be done. There is so much terminology to a guy who is running Win7 but in his heart running WinXP (and in his dreams Win3.1) that it will take me a while to feel comfortable with the Win10 terminology.
Compare with Windows 7, Chris, or perhaps not if you've removed IE; I have had IE installed and updated (via all those cumulative updates) during that era, and never run it even once (I think I clicked on it once by mistake before I had it removed from the Taskbar). :grin:

When I find myself in times of trouble Mother Mary comes to me, speaking words of wisdom, let it be. :smile:

(Speaking about multiple software; I think my phone's got three email clients; I can remove one, obviously, the one I installed ...)
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

BobH: you will now be able to worry about Edge's successor, CrEdge (Chromium Edge). It is notable for having a New, Improved, Logo! [I have yet to determine what else... :evilgrin: ]

CrEdge.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Gray

Venison is quiet deer, and quite dear.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You can now run Chrome extensions in Edge, for example...
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

BobH wrote:
12 Jul 2020, 17:31
Howdy, Chris! On advice and after a bit of reading web articles, I did not remove Edge. It remains on my laptop. I don't use it, and I don't like having software loaded that I don't use, but MS don't seem to leave me much of an option.
Thanks for the update, Bob.
Cheers
Chris

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Argus wrote:
12 Jul 2020, 17:53
Compare with Windows 7, Chris, or perhaps not if you've removed IE; I have had IE installed and updated (via all those cumulative updates) during that era, and never run it even once (I think I clicked on it once by mistake before I had it removed from the Taskbar). :grin:
Argus, thanks for putting this into perspective.
Yes, dear old ie .bounces out of the woodwork every chance it gets, a misplaced keystroke, a misguided click, an errant touch,
About as frequently as Outlook when I click on an email link.
Cheers
Chris

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

I have been using Edge since the first install of Windows 10. It is much better now than it was at first.
There are things I miss from IE but I will live on.

None of the other browsers add anything that I need.
I have tried several of them, but the need to always be installing addons is no in my book!
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Microsoft is actively contributing to the Chromium project. Other Chromium-based browsers are able to take advantage of and improve the whole Chromium ecosystem. And Microsoft is able to take advantage of the improvements others make.

I
Joe

PJ_in_FL
5StarLounger

Post by PJ_in_FL »

Keep both IE and Edge around.

Recently had a 300+ page PDF with tables that I needed to export to Excel.

Tabula is the only software that would even touch this, but it runs in a browser window and uses the dreaded JAVA!

Still, necessity makes for strange bedfellows, so, after much trial and error, I found the only browser I could get to run it was IE, after I made IE the default, reinstalled JAVA again, and restarted (Win 7 version of restart).

Browsers all have their strengths and quirks, and you never know which set of quirks will fit the bill to complete some off the wall task someday.
PJ in (usually sunny) FL