How to backup Windows 10 to reinstall later.

weese237
2StarLounger

How to backup Windows 10 to reinstall later.

Post by weese237 »

Hello,

I have just updated to version 1803 of Windows 10 Home. I had the Windows 10 "1511" version that ended on April 10, 2018 which I also updated at the time.

I will be doing a reformat and reinstall of Windows on the laptop. I have the Windows 10 disk that came with my laptop but I would like to have / make a disk that has the latest version so I don't need to do all the updates.
Can this be done?

I have:
Windows 10 Home 1803
TOSHIBA Satellite L55W-C
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-5200U CPU © 2.20GHz 2.20 GHz
8.00 GB
64-bit Operating System, x64-based processor
Touch Support with 10 Touch Points

Thank you!
Louise     :smile:

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Re: How to backup Windows 10 to reinstall later.

Post by Jay Freedman »

Get a USB stick or a writable DVD (at least 4 GB capacity). Download the Media Creation Tool from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softwar ... /windows10 and follow the instructions to create the installation media (it will be version 1803). Best not to reformat the laptop's drive, but reinstall on top of it so it uses the same product activation. Also, make sure you have any Toshiba-specific drivers stored on removable media (you can download them from Toshiba's website) in case they need to be reinstalled afterward.

weese237
2StarLounger

Post by weese237 »

Hi Jay, Thank you very much. Will get the download and copy to a USB flash drive.

I actually was going to use the restore disks that came with the laptop and restore to factory condition which will, I assume, eventually wipe everything out and re-install. Then use the updated Windows on top of that. Will that work as well?

I actually also need to do a little more investigation as my keyboard does strange things and hopefully Toshiba will have some updated drivers for that as well. I read somewhere that it's a popular problem. Just need a little more time to look into the fix.

Thanks! Am I on the right track? :smile:

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The restore disks that came with your laptop should work, but they will restore the version of Windows from the time they were made, so you'd have to update to Windows 10 1803 after that. The Media Creation Tool mentioned by Jay will install 1803 directly.
Best wishes,
Hans

weese237
2StarLounger

Post by weese237 »

Hi Hans,

I understand. Thought maybe if I did the original one first, it would also install all of the drivers needed. That would save from hunting them all down? Then reinstall the latest version and the drivers should all be there, right?

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I'm not sure about that - you might need new versions of some drivers anyway.
Best wishes,
Hans

weese237
2StarLounger

Post by weese237 »

True. Need to investigate with Toshiba.

Thanks!