Windows 10 won't boot after installing ver. 1703

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Windows 10 won't boot after installing ver. 1703

Post by viking33 »

The other day, I made a rare visit to my Win 10 partition and clicked check for updates. As expected, there were quite a few, so since it was just before I was done with the PC for the night I let MS have it's way and started the update. The next morning, it was still grinding away and did so for about 18 hours. It said it was done and had also installed ver 1703. ( that's how long it was since I did any "upgrades!")
I rebooted and let Win 10 run and it got to the "peephole" and welcome screen, then went blank and black, except for three small icons in the lower right side of the screen. Labeled Internet, accessibility and power. The mouse cursor was there but there wasn't anything else to click on but for those three icons, No Start button, nothing else!
Rebooting a number of times did not change anything. Fortunately, Win 7 is working fine as expected.
I do have a backup image for Win 10 BUT it's was taken just before the updating started, so unless I want to go through the eternal grind of re-updating, I'm at an impasse and out of ideas. ( except for blowing up the whole Win 10 OS into joyful pieces! ) :scratch:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Windows 10 won't boot after installing ver. 1703

Post by HansV »

Best wishes,
Hans

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

I found that site already and tried the options that I could use but most of them seem to require that you could get to the start menu or advanced option modes, I did get to the advanced mode by holding the Shift key down while clicking the Power Icon and restart. however, the options that were offered did not apply to the situation?
BOB

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Any ideas from a good Windows 10 expert? There must be a solution somewhere in that Win 10 mess? :please:
BOB

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

Download the Media Creation Tool from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softwar ... /windows10 and use it to create removable installation media. Wipe the Windows 10 partition clean, and install from the media.

Besides being a more reliable installation method than Windows Update, the media can be useful later because it's bootable and contains troubleshooting tools.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Jay Freedman wrote:Download the Media Creation Tool from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softwar ... /windows10 and use it to create removable installation media. Wipe the Windows 10 partition clean, and install from the media.

Besides being a more reliable installation method than Windows Update, the media can be useful later because it's bootable and contains troubleshooting tools.
Thanks, Jay.
That sounds like a good solution and I will give it a try ASAP. ( once I stop cursing Win 10 and go into the 10 partition.) Where in the installation, does it ask for the S/N? Before, after or during the install? Just so I have it ready to go. :clapping:
The best part appears to be wiping the disk clean. Much joy!
BOB

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

It's been almost a year since I last did this, so my memory is a bit fuzzy. I think it asks for the product key near the beginning.

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

If you are reinstalling an activated Windows 10 using a Microsoft account you don't have to worry about the key. It should automatically activate. Just skip the key.
Joe

jolas
3StarLounger

Post by jolas »

Here are a few steps I did that worked for my system.
1. Reboot and get to safe mode, I would usually try F8 (or Shift-F8 for some computers) persistently (maybe more than ones) get into the repair your computer (as stated on the other post) > Troubleshoot > Advance Option > Startup Settings > Safe Mode.
2. If you finally get into safe mode. I would go to Device Manager and disable my Display Adapter ( I have a discreet video adapter).
3. Run disc error check.
4. Reboot and see if can boot to windows, of course the generic windows driver will be use and your display may not show the optimize settings.
5. Renable your display adapter and check for new drivers. Sometimes re-enabling your display adapter will put you back to the black screen. This goes to show that the installed driver have issues with the latest windows 10 upgrade.
6. If it goes back to black screen I will usually go back to step #1 and keep the display adapter disabled until you could find a suitable driver that works with the latest windows 10 updates.

7. If the above would not work I would take the HD and insert to an external usb enclosure, plug to another computer and run disc error check and repair. This usually work for me 95% of the time.
8. There are times I would start with step #7 first with good results.

Hope this will help you too.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Jay Freedman wrote:It's been almost a year since I last did this, so my memory is a bit fuzzy. I think it asks for the product key near the beginning.
I finally got me a 16 gig USB Flash Drive and about ready to start this operation.
Quick questions.
1. Since I'm running dual boot with Win 7 & 10, can I run this from within Win 7 without affecting anything in the Win 7 partition? Or must it be run inside Win 10?
2. I read two opinions as to wiping the Win 10 clean before doing it. The other being leave the old partition intact and installing over the old installation?
I would prefer wiping the old version away but not if it carries the chance of messing things up unnecessarily.
3. Supposedly, this will install ver. 1803 . along with the other updates?

I had a new image made of the existing Win 10 partition, just in case of disaster! :basket:
BOB

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

If you download the Media Creation Tool now, you'll get Windows 10 version 1803.
Best wishes,
Hans

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

viking33 wrote:1. Since I'm running dual boot with Win 7 & 10, can I run this from within Win 7 without affecting anything in the Win 7 partition? Or must it be run inside Win 10?
Neither. The image on the USB is bootable, so (1) make sure your BIOS is set to boot from a USB drive before it tries to boot from the hard disk, and (2) shut down the PC, plug in the USB, and turn on the PC. The installer should ask which partition you want to install Windows on, and you pick the one that has Windows 10. Then it should ask whether to install over the existing OS in that partition or to format the partition and do a clean install.
viking33 wrote:2. I read two opinions as to wiping the Win 10 clean before doing it. The other being leave the old partition intact and installing over the old installation?
I would prefer wiping the old version away but not if it carries the chance of messing things up unnecessarily.
The pro of installing over the old installation is that it should keep any software (other than the OS itself) and any necessary drivers that don't come with Windows. The corresponding con is that if anything that caused your problems is still there, then the problems will still be there. You could try first installing over the old OS, and if it's still wonky then do a clean install from the same USB.
viking33 wrote:3. Supposedly, this will install ver. 1803 . along with the other updates?
Yes, as Hans said, any recent download of the MCT will install 1803. After that you may need one or two months worth of Patch Tuesday updates.
viking33 wrote:I had a new image made of the existing Win 10 partition, just in case of disaster! :basket:
An excellent idea!

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

:thankyou: Jay and Hans.
I'll probably do the first attempt on Saturday or so. The home CEO has a few chores that seem to be of higher priority, so first things first with my firsts having a lower rank.
Oh well, I'm waiting for a new printer to arrive any day now. I think it is coming via Pony Express? :laugh:
Appreciate the help much!
BOB

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Jay Freedman wrote:Download the Media Creation Tool from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softwar ... /windows10 and use it to create removable installation media. Wipe the Windows 10 partition clean, and install from the media.

UPDATE....BAD NEWS
I finally did get back to my original Win 10 problem, after the total disaster of my system crash.
I downloaded the MCT Win 10 64 bit version ans it created a boot-able Flash Drive OK.
Shut down and let it boot to the Flash. It went through the usual first steps, but when it got to the point of asking WHERE I wanted to install Windows, I pointed it to the partition where I had the old Win 10. 50 gigs in size.
However, the following error was displayed:
--------------------
Windows can't be installed on Disk 0 ( or any other places. This is my comment )
The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks.
--------------------
I have no clue as to what to try or change to accomplish this. I have never had to get into EFI systems. I did go into my BIOS, ASUS with an H81M-C MB. I couldn't see any place to change things, even though a few seemed to say UEFI?
Every job is an adventure! If I could, I would take Windows 10 out for a long walk off a short pier and return empty handed. :evilgrin:
BOB

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

I did find a few 3rd party programs that convert drives from MBR to GPT.
HOWEVER, my concern is how this will affect my other partitions like Windows 7, since this converts the entire drive to GPT. I do have images of Win 7 64 bit and the other partition which is a Storage partition.
Also will my present backup images be usable to restore data or do I have to immediately have to make new image backups ( True Image )
Reassurance badly needed here.
BOB

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

Before you even think about converting to GPT, look again at your BIOS. If you're in luck, you have a dual legacy/UEFI BIOS that can turn off the UEFI features and behave like it's the good old days. Here's a picture of the screen from mine:
BIOS.jpg
Notice how the initial menu choices (BIOS Features > Boot Mode Selection) don't tell you that this is where you'll find the selection you want. :groan:

Of course, different BIOS versions have different menus and features, so there's no guarantee you'll find this on your computer. If it's there, though, selecting Legacy Only (or the equivalent) and rebooting will let you install Windows 10 without needing conversion to GPT.

The main thing you won't have without UEFI is a feature called Secure Boot, which is meant to guard against rootkits. I run in Legacy Only mode and let MalwareBytes and ESET AV worry about rootkits.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

If you can't disable UEFI and do need to convert to GPT, take a look at some of these: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=convert+from+ ... osing+data

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Thanks for the tips, Jay.
As I mentioned, I did take a look in the ASUS BIOS and did see some mention of UEFI but don't recall seeing anything like your BIOS screen, You have a Gigbyte MB and I really liked their product, My two prior boards were Gigabyte and I regret not sticking with them but here I am. I will go back in there and take a closer look and try some of them out. With the luck I have been having lately, I think there is a black cloud hanging over my PC.

Do you see any particular bad option to going to GPT if necessary? From what I've read so far, it seems like the jury is still out, on this topic?
BOB

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

I've been very happy with the Gigabyte MB too, and I expect I'll stick with the brand for my next build, whenever that may be. The BIOS is from American Megatrends Inc. (as shown by the copyright line at the bottom of the screen), and I'd expect most of that company's BIOSes to have similar options although the menus may look different.

Since I decided early to stick with the legacy boot option, I haven't paid any attention to GPT. I don't know what tradeoffs there may be, whether for Windows 10 or for Windows 7.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Positive preliminary report!
Before doing anything drastic, I went to the ASUS website and got on a live chat with a support rep.
Gave the sad tale of woe and she said WELL,,, TRY to disable CSM ( compatibility support module ) IF that doesn't work, I think you will have to either convert to PCT or reinstall a new MS Win 10 with a lower version than 1803!! Also you will NOT be able to upgrade to 1803 or higher anytime. I hung up on her.

I'll fill in more but it's my sons BD
BOB