Moving to Windows 10

silverback
5StarLounger

Moving to Windows 10

Post by silverback »

Some time ago I had a problem with Windows XP and lots of people posted that I should move to Windows 10 ASAP. I now have to do this as my old PC is cracking up and, of course, all new PCs come with Windows 10.
I don't understand the file structure of Windows 10 (I do have a laptop which uses Windows 10) so the question is how best to move all of XP's My Documents folder to Windows 10. Which folder(s) should I move the XP files to, please?

Thanks
Silverback

HansV
Administrator

Re: Moving to Windows 10

Post by HansV »

The equivalent of XP's "My Documents" is simply named "Documents". It can be found under "Quick Access" and also under "This PC" in the left hand pane of File Explorer (a.k.a. Windows Explorer):
S2199.png
The full path of your documents folder is C:\Users\<username>\Documents where <username> is your Windows username.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Re: Moving to Windows 10

Post by viking33 »

silverback wrote:Some time ago I had a problem with Windows XP and lots of people posted that I should move to Windows 10 ASAP. I now have to do this as my old PC is cracking up and, of course, all new PCs come with Windows 10.
I don't understand the file structure of Windows 10 (I do have a laptop which uses Windows 10) so the question is how best to move all of XP's My Documents folder to Windows 10. Which folder(s) should I move the XP files to, please?

Thanks
Silverback
Microsoft used to have an app that did that. It transferred all user file to the new OS. I know I used it for a friend who was upgrading her system but it was to Win 7. I don't know if MS still has it for XP. I would assume it still does. I'm not a Win 10 fan at all but maybe some of our Win 10 pros will have the answer.
( I have enough problems with my Win 10 upgrades and updates right now but that's another story! ) Good thing I'm dual booting with Win 7 and rarely venture into the Win 10 partition.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.