1803 Update

RonH
SilverLounger

1803 Update

Post by RonH »

The new W10 release has downloaded and installed on my pc. I logged in and the screen display offered voice control options but the screen was frozen and no mouse tracking possible. No keys functioned.

Eventually it seemed my only option was to crash the laptop by disconnecting power and battery. Rebooted and logged in again but then a blank screen with only a mouse track which this time would move ... over nothing.

Would appreciate some advice.
Thanks
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

RonH
SilverLounger

Re: 1803 Update

Post by RonH »

Update.
Decided to crash pc again, rebooted and logged in. After a long wait I had the options screens, chose options and now finally I have my home screen ... frozen with no mouse control.
I will leave it for a while...
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Well ... I finally have a 'system' after I rebooted it about 5x. I got to the stage of home screen with mouse control and access to eg Documents but these were corrupted and could not be read in the Folders or opened. After my last reboot I noticed via Networx a substantial download occurring which I suspect was a Microsoft 'correction'. Whatever the W10 is now functioning, though I have yet to check if all programmes are working correctly.

A lesson is learned ... do not click on Update and Security/Check for Updates which is how I got into this mess :sad:
Just for information
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

CraigS26
2StarLounger

Post by CraigS26 »

https://www.askwoody.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There's no better source of Help than HERE but I noticed this 1803 Update discussion in AskWoody.com, a Blog that specializes in - Win Update "management" - AND Overcoming ISSUES.
Scroll down the above link as desired to see what's happening with others. I saw where just Clk'ing on "Chk for Updates" Started the 1803 Upgrade even with rumors it would be next week.
The various Topics Discussions are via the Brown Links "Comment in the AskWoody Lounge".
Hope your recovery is complete. Good Luck.
Win 10 Pro 22H2 | ESET EIS Prem | Mbam Prem | Diskeeper Pro '15 | Macrium Pd v8

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Thanks. I actually looked at Woody's AFTER I had made the fatal mistake of Checking for Updates :sad:

Most of my system now 'seems' to be functioning though I had difficulties with the printer and Documents files. I have still to check a 'lot' and will do this over time during which ... hopefully ... any outstanding issues will have been solved by MSoft or software suppliers.

A 'tricky' update for some. I wonder how those with very limited knowledge will solve issues ... perhaps this is where a lot of 'shop tech experts'will make a lot of money; for sure my sisters in other countries will make use of their 'pc advisor'.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

IMO, you need to take everything at Woody's site with a grain of salt. Over the years it appears as though any problem no matter how insignificant gets at least one big post there. I never and I mean NEVER see any statistics about how widespread any problem really is. I do realize that a statistically small issue percentage wise may mean a large number of impacted systems to most of us. However, the sky is not always falling. It seems to me that in Woody's eyes Microsoft can do nothing right.

NOTE: The recent inclusion of Susan Bradley will give a more balanced view of patching and releases.
Joe

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Thanks for posting, Joe.
I take the info at lots of sites with 'a grain of salt' but in this case what was stated on Woody's actually happened to me. A lot of the issues posted on 'expert' sites seem to often only occur to folk who love to play the tech and tweek their device. This is particularly noticeable on mobile device posts.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

Jeff H
4StarLounger

Post by Jeff H »

RonH wrote: A 'tricky' update for some. I wonder how those with very limited knowledge will solve issues ... perhaps this is where a lot of 'shop tech experts'will make a lot of money; for sure my sisters in other countries will make use of their 'pc advisor'.
As a member of that cohort, "those with very limited knowledge", would those of you with greater knowledge advise that we turn off auto-updates during these major releases?

I recently had a OneDrive update which seemed to cause my OneDrive sync app to periodically turn itself off. That seems ok now, but it also caused WD Smartware to stop backing up my local OneDrive folder. After 2 hours on the phone with WD 2nd level tech support they said that it was because the MS update process failed to refresh the system permissions allowing Smartware to access that folder.

I remember in earlier years it was axiomatic to never take the first release because more often than not there were more often serious bugs in the first release. I thought that MS updates had gotten a lot better since then.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Jeff H wrote:As a member of that cohort, "those with very limited knowledge", would those of you with greater knowledge advise that we turn off auto-updates during these major releases?
It is my understanding that you can't 'turn off' auto updates in Win 10. However, if you have Win 10 Pro (or Enterprise) then you can delay the upgrade.

Others more versed in the mysteries of Win 10 may be able to give more a better answer to your question.

Ken

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I guess I have been lucky. I have installed updates to Windows and Office immediately after they were released during the last 15 years, and I have only experienced a few minor glitches.

With the enormous number of Windows computers out there, and the wide variety of hardware and software, it is not surprising that some of them will have problems. And yes, Microsoft sometimes drops the ball, but not nearly as often as some pessimists would have you believe.

So I'd say: make sure you backup frequently, and go ahead and update.
Best wishes,
Hans

Jeff H
4StarLounger

Post by Jeff H »

stuck wrote:
Jeff H wrote:As a member of that cohort, "those with very limited knowledge", would those of you with greater knowledge advise that we turn off auto-updates during these major releases?
It is my understanding that you can't 'turn off' auto updates in Win 10. However, if you have Win 10 Pro (or Enterprise) then you can delay the upgrade.

Others more versed in the mysteries of Win 10 may be able to give more a better answer to your question.

Ken
Yes, I discovered that after posting. You can "pause" updates for 35 days, but after that all updates must be installed before you can pause again.

I must admit, though, my experience has been like Hans' for the last several years.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

I concur with the above ... over many years I have always found M'soft very reliable. I think in the instance of my 1803 install I 'jumped the gun' and suffered some difficulties which seem now to be mostly solved. Rebooting a few times often works 'magic' :smile:
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

In the announcement about the Windows 10 April 2018 update, How to get the Windows 10 April 2018 Update, it is clearly stated that if you manually check Windows Update you'll get the April 2018 release ahead of the automatic rollout which starts May 8.

This is different from the past Windows 10 releases which were automatically rolled out beginning on a specific date. Woody and others at his site missed the manual update part and assumed Microsoft was automatically updating systems before the May 8 date.

Note that like Hans I've update multiple Windows systems through various Windows versions very soon after updates have been released. Also, like Hans I've encountered only minor issues and seldom even those. I also am running Insider Preview builds on my main PC (I don't recommend it for the faint of heart). So, I install versions of Windows every week or two. Even these have been remarkably stable. Generally I think that the Microsoft update process has greatly improved and is pretty good now.
Joe

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

JoeP wrote:In the announcement about the Windows 10 April 2018 update, How to get the Windows 10 April 2018 Update, it is clearly stated that if you manually check Windows Update you'll get the April 2018 release ahead of the automatic rollout which starts May 8.
That is true, Joe, but not everyone reads those announcements. I guess that many users were taken by surprise when a simple check for updates started a major update 8 days ahead of the official release...
Best wishes,
Hans

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

I understand that. As painful as it may be for us, we need to change our habits when it comes to Windows updates. Quit checking for updates if you do not want updates to be installed. Let Microsoft distribute them on their schedule. Use the tools in Windows 10 to delay restarts.
Joe

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

HansV wrote:
JoeP wrote:In the announcement about the Windows 10 April 2018 update, How to get the Windows 10 April 2018 Update, it is clearly stated that if you manually check Windows Update you'll get the April 2018 release ahead of the automatic rollout which starts May 8.
That is true, Joe, but not everyone reads those announcements. I guess that many users were taken by surprise when a simple check for updates started a major update 8 days ahead of the official release...
I for one don't read such announcements on a regular basis. Got other demanding interests to keep me busy but in future where major updates are to occur I will try to read up prior to hitting the 'Check for Updates'.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.