My Book Live or Duo Not Detected on Windows 10 Network

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

My Book Live or Duo Not Detected on Windows 10 Network

Post by BobArch2 »

A few months ago my NAS drive (Western Digital My Book Live) would not appear in File Explorer. Not a serious issue since I had a task bar app (WD Quick View) that I could open and instruct it to open the access to the NAS unit. Then two days ago after an auto update to the WD software, the Quick View function facility disappeared. Meaning I could not access the NAS unit. And attempting to access the unit by copying files to it via RoboCopy would fail.

Initially I thought that the 5 year old was failing and would need replacement.

A bit of research found this article. All is well with the world and I saved myself some $$$ by not having to replace the NAS.

The article linked above indicates that the issue is not limited to WD products.
Regards,
Bob

HansV
Administrator

Re: My Book Live or Duo Not Detected on Windows 10 Network

Post by HansV »

Thanks, that may well help others reading this.
Best wishes,
Hans

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I had a very similar problem with the Scanner on my HP Multifunction printer. I had to enable "SMB 1.0/CFS File sharing support" before it would work.
This is a pity as this is an old and not very secure protocol, which is exploited by Petya ransomware, and others.
StuartR

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

Windows 10 1803 update broke the fix. Applying the correction as show in the original post above fixed the problem.
Regards,
Bob