USB devices do not turn off after Fall Creators Update

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

USB devices do not turn off after Fall Creators Update

Post by BobArch2 »

I have two external hard drives (WD MyBook) connected to USB 3.0 ports on my desktop. Also a Media Reader device connected internally to a USB 2.0 port.

Prior to installing the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update these 3 devices would turn off when I shutdown the system. After the Fall Creators Update, these devices remain powered up after a system shutdown.

I have checked the Device Manager and four USB drivers were updated as part of the Windows Update as noted in the attached snapshot. I have searched the Internet for a possible solution and came up empty. There is no option to roll back those drivers to the previous version. I could uninstall them and restart but I suspect that the restart will find the same drivers and reinstall them. Aside from rolling back to Windows Creator Update 1703 do we have any suggestions? I am not keen having the two external drives powered on 24x7.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
DeviceManagerBA.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Bob

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: USB devices do not turn off after Fall Creators Update

Post by Rudi »

Hi Bob,

I don't have Windows 10, so take this advice with a pinch of salt (as I could not test to verify!)

According to reports I've read via searches on this issue, the primary culprit seems to the the "Fast Start" feature. If it is enabled, it prevents the USB devices from turning off. Disable it and (according to reports), it fixes the issue.

See steps to disable below, or view this silent movie for the steps!

Go to Control Panel > Power Options >
Choose What Power Buttons Do > Activate Settings Currentlly Unavailable > scroll down to
Shutdown Settings > disable Activate Fast Start.

Note: I saw one person claim that changing this setting caused a black screen on reboot; but other accounts did not mention this?
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Each major update to Windows 10 enables Fast Start, and I always disable it immediately...
Best wishes,
Hans

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I just checked my laptop. Turn on fast startup (recommended) is still cleared, even though I installed the Creators Update a few days ago.
StuartR

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Interesting...
Best wishes,
Hans

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

Rudi wrote:Hi Bob,
According to reports I've read via searches on this issue, the primary culprit seems to the the "Fast Start" feature. If it is enabled, it prevents the USB devices from turning off. Disable it and (according to reports), it fixes the issue
Turning off Fast Restart did the trick!

Many thanks Rudi! :cheers: :chocciebar: :chocciebar: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
Regards,
Bob

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

HansV wrote:Each major update to Windows 10 enables Fast Start, and I always disable it immediately...
Thanks for the insight Hans. Will make a mental note to do likewise for future major updates. There again, I better write it down as memory is fading as the days pile up! :smile:
Regards,
Bob

fisrtme2212
NewLounger

Post by fisrtme2212 »

Took me ages to figure this out. I have a gigabyte g1 assassin. I returned a lot of headsets because of this issue. All you have to do is go into the motherboard bios and under power management find ErP settings. Enable that. Basically it shuts off usbcharge.