HP Scanner stopped working after W10 Creators Update

StuartR
Administrator

HP Scanner stopped working after W10 Creators Update

Post by StuartR »

I have an HP Officejet Pro 8500 multi function printer. Since I updated my PCs to Windows 10 creators edition I have a problem using the scanner.
  • The printer works fine.
  • I can scan single pages using the web interface to the printer.
  • There is a "Scan to network folder" button on the printer. When I try this it now always reports "Cannot connect to \\server\share. Make sure the remote computer is turned on". I have checked that the share still exists and can be accessed from a different PC. I have also re-created the required share and configuration information using the HP Solution Manager software.
  • HP Solution Center has a scan option. This reports "The scan cannot be performed because another program or computer is using the networked HP imaging device"
  • I tried de-installing and re-installing the HP software on a different PC and then using HP Solution Centre, but this behaves just the same.
I can't absolutely guarantee that this was caused by the Windows 10 Creators Update, but it seems likely.

I really need to get this working as I regularly scan multipage documents using the sheet feeder on top of the printer, and this won't work using the web interface.

I tried searching on the Internet and found a few similar issues, but no good suggestions that made a difference.
StuartR

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Re: HP Scanner stopped working after W10 Creators Update

Post by viking33 »

Have you tried to run it in compatibility mode?
I have an older HP flatbed scanner that HP doesn't support even Win 7. I do have it running in Vista mode and it works fine.
To be honest, I haven't even used it under Win 10 at all but might be worth a shot?
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Sorry to state the obvious but have you tried updating the printer drivers (for Windows 10)?
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Thanks for the suggestions. The latest driver is a few years old now, but I did download it again from the HP site and do a complete clean install on one PC to make sure.

I don't understand the suggestion of running in compatibility mode. Run what? I am pretty sure that the errors are coming from the Printer itself when trying to connect to the share.
StuartR

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Post by jonwallace »

Threads from 2012 on the HP support site suggest that this might be a SMB issue, particularly with the 8500 (909 model). Over there, they were waiting (im)patiently for driver and firmware updates.
I know that this is not very helpful, but it does give you somewhere to look.
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I found the fix! It was nothing to do with the Windows 10 Creators Update.

When the Petya ransomware was at its height, I turned off the Windows feature "SMB 1.0/CFS file sharing support" because Petya was using this to replicate itself, and it is an old protocol that nobody should be using any more. I have now re-enabled this feature and the printer works again.

I'm very glad I keep a detailed log of all changes I make!

Thank you John for the "SMB" clue
StuartR

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Glad you found it!
Best wishes,
Hans

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

StuartR wrote:I found the fix! It was nothing to do with the Windows 10 Creators Update...
I was having a similar scan issue with my HP 8600 in that I could scan when I invoked the HP Printer software and selected the scan function. But I could not scan directly from the printer itself. Neither the flat bed nor the document auto-feeder. The printer only recognized my HP Stream 7 and my wife's Window 7 PC as the target for the scan results. It did not show my PC as an option. I thought it might have been a Windows update issue.

Your issue sparked me in trying to resolve my issue. I loaded up the HP printer software and found the troubleshooting area. It downloaded the HP Print Scan Doctor v5.0 (HPPSdr.exe). I ran the Scan doctor and within 60 seconds all was well. My PC is now shown as an available device on the printer's display window and both flat bed and the document feeder functions are working.

Thanks for posting your issue as it sparked me to resolve mine!!! :thankyou:
HPScanProb1.jpg
HPScanProb2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Bob

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

It's great when things just work like that Bob. I had tried the HP Print and Scan Doctor for my problem, but sadly it didn't identify the cause.
StuartR