Win 10's Start Menu's Pinned Programs

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Win 10's Start Menu's Pinned Programs

Post by hlewton »

I have a program I use called Wintidy and I want it pinned to the Start menu where it will be listed alphabetically. It just would seem to do that no matter how many times I installed it. I then discovered it was on the Start menu only under a folder I never even thought of looking in. It installed on the Start Menu under a folder named PC Magazine Utilities. Now PC Magazine happens to be where I purchased the Wintidy program from but never knew it had created its own folder because when installing Wintidy I also had it create a desktop and Quick Launch shortcut which are the ones I use. However, recently I needed to try to find Wintidy on the Start Menu and couldn’t. So I am wondering if it is possible to have just Wintidy’s program shortcut be pinned to the Start menu where it is visible under the list of the Start Menu’s programs instead of in the PC Magazine Utilities folder on the Start Menu. When I try to move it to the Start Menu it will not allow me to do that. Is this possible to do and if so how can it be done?

Thanks
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Re: Win 10's Start Menu's Pinned Programs

Post by HansV »

What happens if you locate the .exe and select Pin to Start in the context (right-click) menu?
Best wishes,
Hans

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

I have seen this "PC Magazine Utilities" or similar folder for programs from PC Magazine for many years and on many versions of Windows.
I think it started back on 98.

It can be pinned to the "Pinned" area of the Start menu and/or the Task bar.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

In the start menu, expand the PC utilities folder, right click on the Windtidy shortcut, click on "More", click on "Open file location". In the File Explorer instance which is opened notice in the address bar that you are in the "Start Menu". Move the Wintidy shortcut from the folder to the list of programs. If the folder is now empty you may delete it if you wish.
Joe

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:What happens if you locate the .exe and select Pin to Start in the context (right-click) menu?
I had tried that and it was confusing me because it did not show up. Then I found it in the PC Magazine folder.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

JoeP wrote:In the start menu, expand the PC utilities folder, right click on the Windtidy shortcut, click on "More", click on "Open file location". In the File Explorer instance which is opened notice in the address bar that you are in the "Start Menu". Move the Wintidy shortcut from the folder to the list of programs. If the folder is now empty you may delete it if you wish.
I get to the last step here where I am supposed to move the Wintidy shortcut from the PC Magazine folder to the "list of programs" and not sure where that is. I do not see a list of programs in the Explorer window that opens up. I will post an attachment so you can see what I see. I sized it to fit here but nothing important was left out. The only thing below what you can see is a list of drives connected to this machine plus the list of my network computers. So not sure where to move the Wintidy shortcut. Where is the "list of programs" I am to use?

Thanks.
Wintidy.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
hlewton

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Right click the Wintidy shortcut and select cut or copy. Then in the File Explorer address bar click on "Programs", paste the shortcut there.
Joe

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thank you. That worked.
Regards,
hlewton