New Sound events

weese237
2StarLounger

New Sound events

Post by weese237 »

Hello,
Hopefully I will describe this correctly. Back in the old days, if you wanted to assign a sound to a non "windows event" you could do that using control panel. I have not been able to find a way to do that for Windows 10 anywhere.

For example, I have a little program whose only task is to empty the recycle bin and /or clipboard when clicked. I would like to use the recycle bin sound when I click on the .exe file. Needless to say, it's not on the list of sound events and I can't find how to successfully add it using control panel.

Does anyone know how to do this or send me in the right direction?

Thanks!
Louise     :smile:

HansV
Administrator

Re: New Sound events

Post by HansV »

Hi Louise,

I cannot remember ever having been able to do that in Windows itself. There may have been third-party utilities that added this capability, but I don't know of any that works with Windows 10...
Best wishes,
Hans

weese237
2StarLounger

Post by weese237 »

Hi Hans,
Had to go into my archives but I found this which I believe worked with windows 98 and/or windows xp:

"Add Sounds to Application Events

Windows comes with a bunch of sound events where a wav file will play when an action is done. If you want to add sound events to program actions, you have to crank up the registry editor and go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\AppEvents\Schemes\Apps There are two folders, .Default and Explorer . Click on Apps with the right mouse button. Choose New, Key. The name of the key must be the name of the .EXE file you want sounds for. For better reading change the key Default from "none" to the name of the application. Click on the key you created with the right mouse button. Choose New, Key named Open . Create another new key name called Close Go to control panel \ sound events. There is a new item and two subitems, Open program and Close program, for the program you just added to the registry. Add sound files to them. The next time you start/close the EXE file the sound will play."

I also had this text file:
To add a sound that is played when running an application:
Start REGEDIT.EXE and navigate to
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\AppEvents\Schemes\Apps.
Add a subkey with the name of the EXE (example: for the Hearts game which is in the MSHEARTS.EXE
this key would have the name "Mshearts").
Add a subkey "open" under this new key.
Open the Control Panel > Sounds and assign a WAV file to the new event.

You can use all the event names listed in
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\AppEvents\EventLabels by default (if the event can
happen in the application).

I think you are correct though as I have not been able to find anything for Windows 10.

Thanks

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I had never heard of this capability, but it doesn't seem to work anymore in Windows 10. I used the method that you described to create registry entries for the Notepad accessory. Notepad.exe did appear in the Sounds tab of the Sound control panel, and I could assign sounds to Open Program and Close Program, but they don't play when I start or exit Notepad.
Best wishes,
Hans

weese237
2StarLounger

Post by weese237 »

You're right, it doesn't work anymore. You must be able to do it somehow though because Office, for example, once installed is then added to sound schemes so you can change the different sounds if you want.

Must be missing something. :laugh:

Thanks anyway! Will keep looking.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The Office developers have direct access to the Windows team within Microsoft, of course, so they can do things we can't...
Best wishes,
Hans

weese237
2StarLounger

Post by weese237 »

You're right. :smile:

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

You could always come over to my side, regarding Windows sounds.
I have them all turned off.
Those silly beeps, boops and bells got to be more annoying than I wanted to take. :groan:
Signed: The Grump :cranky:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

weese237 wrote:For example, I have a little program whose only task is to empty the recycle bin...
Can't you modify the program to include playing the required sound?

(You may find additional info, plus the location of the sound files, at Change Event Sounds in Windows 10 Windows 10 Customization Tutorials )
Leif

weese237
2StarLounger

Post by weese237 »

Hi Leif,
Yes, it did not come with sound. That's why I used the registry to "add sound" to it.

Unfortunately, that trick doesn't work anymore with Windows 10. It doesn't get "installed" either so it does not get listed in the "change sound" either.

I am not a tech wiz so I do not know how to modify a program.

Thanks!