Windows 10 Update Messing Up Desktop Icons

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Windows 10 Update Messing Up Desktop Icons

Post by hlewton »

Not sure if it is the Creator's Update mentioned in some of the posts in this forum but yesterday on one of my machines Windows 10 forced a few reboots for its new update. Ever since that each time it reboots it does not put my desktop icons back where they belong. I do have a program called WinTidy that allows me to get my desktop back how I like it but it is a matter of a few extra clicks that were never before necessary. Is there anything that can be done to make Windows 10 stop moving my desktop icons each time it boots up?

Thanks.
Regards,
hlewton

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Re: Windows 10 Update Messing Up Desktop Icons

Post by John Gray »

Among the various horrors I had with installing the Windows 10 Creators Update, rearranging my desktop icons was fortunately not one of them!
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your hospital appointment letter indicates that you won't be seeing the Consultant...

Rebel
4StarLounger
Location: Recently moved to Bracebridge - in the heart of Muskoka.

Post by Rebel »

I didn't experience that myself, but if you Google "creators update rearranges desktop icons", there are several articles and some suggested solutions that may work for you. :crossfingers:
John :canada:
A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thanks I'll try googling that.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

I didn't really find any solution that is specific to the latest update though I did see I am not the only one with this problem. I guess I will have to rely on WinTidy to keep me happy. It is no big deal but it just once again, to me at least, demonstrates that MS could care less about the problems they create.
Regards,
hlewton

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Did you check your view settings on the desktop?
Joe

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

JoeP wrote:Did you check your view settings on the desktop?
I just now did and it says "small icons" and "show desktop icons" is also checked.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

WOW had to report back. After my last post and after checking that "desktop view" my desktop was really screwed up with about twice the size of the icons and all of them rearranged. I just double checked to be sure but the view settings did not change. So far hate this new update.
Regards,
hlewton

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Is "auto arrange" checked in your view settings?
Joe

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

JoeP wrote:Is "auto arrange" checked in your view settings?
No it's not. Thanks.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Hoping there may be more suggestions on this subject. I have tried many suggestions from the NET including updating the video driver and nothing seems to help at all, actually it has gotten worse. If I try to move a desktop icon even slightly it causes many of the others to rearrange themselves. I cannot tweak them as I want to. I am ready to say that this was definitely caused by the Win 10 Creator's update since my other 2 Win 10 computers do not have that update and they are still working great. Any further thoughts?
Regards,
hlewton

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Under the desktop View settings is "align icons to grid" checked?

Under the desktop Sort settings is anything checked?
Joe

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

JoeP wrote:Under the desktop View settings is "align icons to grid" checked?

Under the desktop Sort settings is anything checked?
Nothing is checked in either of the above questions. I was even thinking of checking one or more of them as a test but decided against it.

In this version I cannot even find the advanced setting to change the size of the desktop icons and their fonts. Right clicking the Start button does not give me the option of "Control Panel" as my other 2 Win 10 computer do. I did a search and managed to open the Control Panel but the "Display" option was not there and that is where I found the advanced options I mentioned on the other computers. Clicking of Display from a Right Click on the Desktop does no good either. Too many things have changed and this is just not the same OS it once was. Somewhere I would think the options to change the size and font of the Desktop icons should be available but I sure can't find them. Any idea why I no longer have the "Control Panel" option? That too is very confusing.

I found articles on how to revert to the previous version of Win 10 https://betanews.com/2017/04/11/how-to- ... rs-update/ but for me that is not an option either since this computer does not do as all the articles says it should as far as the options it offers when trying to do that. It does not even present me with the question it is supposed to ask as far as why I want to roll back. The only options I have would either remove all my files including applications or remove all my applications. I don't want to do either of those. Also unavailable is any Restore point before the Creator's version was installed.

I have no idea where to go from here.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I don't have a solution for your problem. But there is an easy way to activate Control Panel: click the Start button, type Control and select Control Panel from the search results.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thanks Hans.

I found articles on the NET saying that the advanced display settings have been removed from Win 10 Creator's update. Seems like MS really does not care what its users want and use in an OS.

Is there a way to deny that update when it tries to install on my other machines? I have not been able to find an answer to that anywhere on the NET. I did see where if MS marks it as a "critical" you have no choice but to let it install. The article didn't say how to stop it from installing until then or if it was already marked as critical.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You can defer the installation of Creators Update, but you'll have you update your PCs in the long term...

See How to delay the Windows 10 Creators Update (and why you might want to).
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thank you Hans. That was a great find and I wonder why I couldn't find it. I have looked at so many link but I'm sure I did not overlook that one. Not real happy about the info on the Home version since that is on my laptop and it is connected most of the time by an Ethernet wire but will see how that one works out.

I am probably not using the correct search criteria again but another thing I have not been able to find when searching the internet is how to report my problems to Microsoft. I keep finding error reporting but not where to go to report problems such as I am experiencing now which do not generate an error code. I am sure I am missing something but I have been all over this site https://support.microsoft.com/en-us which is supposed to be support and I find nowhere to report problems such as mine. Anyone know of such a site or place I could let them know about this?
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You can provide feedback through the Feedback Hub. See Windows 10 Creators Update and the Feedback Hub and Get Help apps.
Best wishes,
Hans

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

I second using the Feedback Hub. Search for similar feedback you can upvote or create new feedback of your own. Microsoft is using the Feedback Hub as another major data point to prioritize fixes and development.
Joe

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

I have just upgraded to Creator, and am not having this issue.
It could be that your version of "WinTidy" needs to be updated to a version that works with Creator.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living