Creators Update successfully installed

RonH
SilverLounger

Re: Creators Update successfully installed

Post by RonH »

It's wonderful to be able to learn as a senior citizen.
Cheers Hans
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

Another way to get to Control Panel is to right-click on the Start button and select Control Panel from the menu.

Edit: Sorry, my bad. I'm still on the previous version of Win 10. See Hans' post below.
Last edited by PaulB on 14 Apr 2017, 14:26, edited 2 times in total.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

In the Creators Update, Control Panel has been replaced with Settings in the context menu of the Start button...
S1600.png
That's not unreasonable, since Settings covers most of the Windows settings now, it has been greatly expanded from the previous version.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Yep ... seems to me that they have now trashed the old style W7 Control Panel. I can't find it now via any Search after this update.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Here is a way to start Control Panel even if you can't find it in the start menu:

1) Press Windows key+R to activate the Run dialog.
2) Type control in the box.
3) Press Enter or click OK.
S1601.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

One of the first shortcut keys I adopted when using a Win-10 PC was: Windows + X (Hans's screenshot above displays the context menu).
It provides quick access to a number of useful administrative features, which includes the Control Panel (Settings).
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

Classic Shell works nicely with the Creator Update, as it did with other releases of Windows 10.
Regards,
Bob

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

This appears to be useful information about the enhanced W10 'Settings' ...
http://www.windowscentral.com/whats-new ... ors-update

Regarding my missing Control Panel ... using some of your examples I can momentarily screen display the Control Panel. But only briefly before I get a rapid screen restart and the CP does not reappear. So clearly it is still 'available' but something in my settings associated with Creator install must be malfunctioning :scratch:
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

I can report that it took me over six hours, with the update failing because it couldn't create a RAM drive.
This needed me to boot from a System Restore CD, run Command Prompt, and a couple of BCDEDIT executions
bcdedit /enum all
bcdedit /deletevalue {badmemory} badmemorylist

Then, for luck, I ran the Windows 10 Update Troubleshooter which repaired a database.
After three 3GB downloads and three expansions and three updates the final reboot actually did the upgrade.
Slowly.

I found that System Restore Points were turned off everywhere (I only have this on on the C: drive) by running the latest version of Shutup10, and OneDrive rears its ugly head until turned off.

Other than that, I haven't really used it enough to find out what else has changed, but visually it hasn't changed!

Only two more PCs and three laptops (one a tiny one with very little disk storage) to go...
Last edited by John Gray on 15 Apr 2017, 11:36, edited 2 times in total.
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your hospital appointment letter indicates that you won't be seeing the Consultant...

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

More on my 'Control Panel'
It would appear that it is the CP 'Home' page that will not load correctly. I can still access, say, System Config/Tools/Sec & Mtce or any of the other Tools in the 'Tool Name' listing. Together with the W10 Settings & Start, this seems to get me access to most accessories so I guess that I will just have to be patient and hope for a correction.

... when I read your comments John, then I am in the 'lucky update camp'. I would have hated to been in your shoes but I guess that it stops one dozing in the chair during Easter :laugh:
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

Ron, would GodMode give you the capabilities you are looking for? I'm still running Win 10 1607, not Creator's Update, but my GodMode folder still works.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

I have used Brink's suggestion from his TenForums website to put a shortcut for Control Panel on the desktop.

I used Option Two from his tutorial when first I installed Windows 10.

One or two of the previous Control Panel options (e.g. Windows Update) have migrated into Settings.

[There's also a Control Panel All Tasks one for you to look at...
Maybe this is the mis-identified God Mode?!]
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your hospital appointment letter indicates that you won't be seeing the Consultant...

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

John Gray wrote:Maybe this is the mis-identified God Mode?!]
Why do you ask? It says so explicitly:

"This tutorial will show you how to create or download a Control Panel All Tasks (aka "God mode") shortcut in Windows 10."
Best wishes,
Hans

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

I asked because I didn't read it thoroughly, never having used it!
John Gray

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

John Gray wrote:I have used Brink's suggestion from his TenForums website to put a shortcut for Control Panel on the desktop.
Thanks John ... it works a treat :thumbup: and (so far) the CP Home page stays open and does not reset my screen, disappearing at the same time. I used:
%windir%\explorer.exe shell:::{26EE0668 ... 064C98683}

I am also finding other issues with Creators. So far for example:

1.Beats Audio has been uninstalled so will need to investigate
2.Front speakers have stopped working ... this is likely associated with Beats
3.Rt click to open 'tabs' gives this result .. scrolling the mouse through then shows what is underneath the 'black'.
Tabs.JPG
3. JUST SOLVED WITH A DRIVER UPDATE :hairout:
1 & 2 above ... SOLVED WITH :
http://beatsaudio.fileford.com/download ... ilion-dv6/

Thanks all for taking time out to post.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.