Creators Update successfully installed

HansV
Administrator

Re: Creators Update successfully installed

Post by HansV »

As far as I know, Microsoft has never published an official statement about this.
Best wishes,
Hans

Cah
3StarLounger

Post by Cah »

Thanks for the explanation, Rebel. I have no use for system restore, preferring to use disc images. I always switch it off.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I also keep system restore turned off intentionally. I create a system image once a week, and none of my data is on the system partition.
StuartR

Cah
3StarLounger

Post by Cah »

Ditto re data. But I make an image almost every night.

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

I cannot remember the last time I used SR to recover from a problem. Like Cah and StuartR above, I rely on weekly full backups and daily incrementals to cover my a$$. Based on their experience, I too have now turned off SR.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

I think both SR and Imaging have their own places in the system.
SR is a quicker and less complete disaster tool. Imaging is a second choice ( but has saved me many times ) and is more for when you run out of ideas and are scratching your head as to what to do next. Of course, you have to keep the image up to date or face restoring later changes made after the last image.
I keep them both enabled.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

TonyE wrote:Has anybody seen any official reason why MS have disabled system restore by default in Windows 10. I've seen many theories in various forums but nothing official.
No, there hasn't been any formal official statement on this. I suspect they think that if they ignore the third-party speculation, the issue will eventually just fade away.

My own guess is that, as implied by the last section of https://www.tekrevue.com/how-to-enable- ... indows-10/, Microsoft don't want users to have restore points that can remove mandatory patches. If an incompletely tested patch breaks something that you or your business relies on, that's too bad -- just wait a few months for a fixed patch.

Cah
3StarLounger

Post by Cah »

I think the time difference is marginal. It takes me less than 7 minutes to restore an image. The key is making sure that data and the system are kept separate and System restore is switched Off. Keeping it on makes full images bigger and longer to make and restore. I think system restore is more of a hassle than it is worth. What kind of situation would you use it over restoring an image, Bob? Thanks.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Cah wrote:I think the time difference is marginal. It takes me less than 7 minutes to restore an image. The key is making sure that data and the system are kept separate and System restore is switched Off. Keeping it on makes full images bigger and longer to make and restore. I think system restore is more of a hassle than it is worth. What kind of situation would you use it over restoring an image, Bob? Thanks.
Say you just installed a new piece of software or a patch or what ever and it messed up another function or other. SR can be a quick and easier way to get back to normal, instead of going through a complete image restore process.
An old engineering adage is to try the easier solutions first and not try to build a mountain. ( out of a molehill? ) :laugh:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Cah
3StarLounger

Post by Cah »

Thanks for the reply. I think overall using an image is the easiest and the most secure solution. I have and use Revo Uninstaller but I still prefer to use an image rather than run it to uninstall something I'm trialling. The only way to be sure a problem has gone is to go back in time to before the problem existed.

aekyall
4StarLounger

Post by aekyall »

I haven't yet been offered the Creator's Update but interestingly when I went to the Update and Security option today, instead of just waiting for me to do something, it checked for updates without me asking it to and then presented me with 'Good News' !! Don't think MS have advertised their forthcoming updates in this fashion before??

Nevertheless, I think I'll wait my turn to be creatively empowered! :grin:
Capture.GIF
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Keith

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Some users (including me) saw the "Good news!" message several weeks ago. Apparently Microsoft uses the message as one of the ways to introduce the Creators Update in stages.
Best wishes,
Hans

Cah
3StarLounger

Post by Cah »

The only good news I want from Microsoft is that they are going to stop bundling Windows 7 updates. Too much to expect them to give users the choice back with Windows 10. Such a message at this point is downright creepy.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Just joined this 'new W10 club' ... took a while to download, probably due to Easter rain so folk had some time on their hands :grin:
All seems OK and my Restore Point was not turned off after the upgrade ... though I don't yet know what other 'security' changes they have made.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Following up from my above post, I find that the Control Panel (as used in Windows 7) has 'gone missing' in this update.
I kept it in my Desktop Start Menu shortcuts but as soon as I open it I find that it then fails and brings me back to the desktop. Obviously I can access all I need (I think) from Settings but it was a very useful tool for me at least. Anyone else using this/can solve my problem.
:scratch:
Control Panel.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

TonyE
3StarLounger

Post by TonyE »

I guess the shortcut has become broken. I can access the control panel by typing control into the cortana search box. It then shows control panel as the best match
Tony

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

TonyE wrote:I guess the shortcut has become broken. I can access the control panel by typing control into the cortana search box. It then shows control panel as the best match
Tried this Tony ... takes me now to the W10 'Settings'. So I have deleted the old W7 Control Panel link (which took me nowhere after this update!) and will use the W10 Settings panels ... I guess that I simply must modernise my methods :sad:
Thanks for taking time out during Easter.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Creators Update sometimes behaves weirdly - clicking Start, typing control and pressing Enter usually activates Control Panel for me, as for Tony, but I've seen it open Settings at least once...
Best wishes,
Hans

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

HansV wrote:Creators Update sometimes behaves weirdly - clicking Start, typing control and pressing Enter usually activates Control Panel for me, as for Tony, but I've seen it open Settings at least once...
Insists on opening Settings but thanks for this tip ... I never realised that you could still type in the Start Menu ... I have always used the 'Ask me anything' Cortana. Now close your pc and enjoy the day :thankyou:
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You can also press the Windows key and start typing to search for anything.
Best wishes,
Hans