Unsettling (for me) update process!

aekyall
4StarLounger

Unsettling (for me) update process!

Post by aekyall »

Just by way of letting off steam!! Earlier today I got a notification for a cumulative security update for W10 64 bit for 1511. I duly installed it and, as required, rebooted. All well thereafter. However, this evening, I selected 'restart' as I wanted to work on my dual boot Linux Mint 17.3 - prior to rebooting there were no new notifications showing. Once I'd hit the 'restart', instead of going through normal restart process Windows put the message 'Getting Windows Ready, don't turn off your computer' on the screen. Thirty minutes later (!!) the message was still on the screen with the dotted circle still going round!! In despair - and in a bit of a panic - I was just about to press the power button to turn off - I was sure something had gone amiss with Windows - when the message changed to 'restarting'. About five minutes later all came back to normal. When I checked on 'settings - update' I found that an additional 6 updates had 'appeared'. I'm assuming that to download and install them took Windows 30 minutes. I've never had Windows lock out for this length of time before, even for multi updates. I Could so easily have powered off and goodness knows what damage I would have done!! Ah well, Windows 1, Keith 0
Regards,
Keith

HansV
Administrator

Re: Unsettling (for me) update process!

Post by HansV »

There have been many reports of yesterday's Windows 10 updates being extremely slow to download and install. A possible cause is that Microsoft also released a new Insider build yesterday, so that the update servers were under a very heavy load.

On my PC, the download took almost 2 hours (but I could continue working during that time); the download appeared to stall at 8% and later at 50% for a long time.
Best wishes,
Hans

DaveA
GoldLounger

Re: Unsettling (for me) update process!

Post by DaveA »

I did mine today. The Win10 machine was really slow on the reboot, but the Win 7 machines were normal as they always have been.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living