Reminder if you are late on the bandwagon...

maman
NewLounger

Re: Reminder if you are late on the bandwagon...

Post by maman »

The biggest problem with Win10 is the spyware which comes pre-installed. The next one is the forced updates including driver updates which can crash your machine. Don't forget MS gives NOTHING away for free. Everything you do is sold to advertisers

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Welcome to Eileen's Lounge!

I doubt that "Everything you do is sold to advertisers". I think Microsoft mostly uses info from your computer for internal purposes.

But if you want to minimize the amount of information sent to Microsoft, you can use a tool such as O&O Shutup10 - see Privacy tool for Windows 10.
Best wishes,
Hans

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Howdy, maman!

Welcome to Eileen's Lounge. Pull up a seat and put your feet up.

Is there any way to stop the automatic updates?

My thoughts in planning to take advantage of the no-charge version of Win 10 is to make a dual boot system with Win 7 and only boot Win 10 when absolutely necessary. Will the spyware and auto-updating take place if the Win 10 region is not active?
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

maman
NewLounger

Post by maman »

So far there the only way to stop updates is to tell win10 you use a metered connection which only works with a wireless connection Updates will still try to download unless you get win 10 pro As for the ads they popup when you try the games unless you pay and on lock screens

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Bob,
Will the spyware and auto-updating take place if the Win 10 region is not active?

NO. In dual boot, unless you boot to it, it doesn't exist to the outside world. :thumbup:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

^^^
That's what I thought, Bob, but was not sure that they hadn't developed some machine level access outside the OS.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

AlanMiller
BronzeLounger

Post by AlanMiller »

Rudi wrote:It's not a matter of upgrading now... its a matter of being miserly and securing a FREE, valid and legitimate ISO copy ...
So Rudi, where is the best place to download a legit ISO for :free: ?

Alan

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Viking (Bob) gave a good link in this post further up the thread...
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

BobH wrote:^^^
That's what I thought, Bob, but was not sure that they hadn't developed some machine level access outside the OS.
But as soon as you boot in 10, the system will start looking for and install as needed.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

AlanMiller
BronzeLounger

Post by AlanMiller »

Rudi wrote:    
Viking (Bob) gave a good link in this post further up the thread...
OK thanks. Followed the link and made an ISO from the download tool. Pretty slick.
Also needed is your Windows (7) serial # for a clean install. Used this from an elevated command prompt to get to it:
wmic os get "SerialNumber"

Alan

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

Serial number? Or product key?
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

AlanMiller
BronzeLounger

Post by AlanMiller »

PaulB wrote:Serial number? Or product key?
Funny that ... the command reveals what I'd usually think of as the Product ID/key:
00385-OEM-67.....
but the commandline calls it "SerialNumber". Apparently it's the one you need though.

Maybe you also need the 25 character License Key on the CD or case?

Alan

maman
NewLounger

Post by maman »

Read this if you think win10 is good: http://itvision.altervista.org/why-wind ... sucks.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

I followed Viking Bob's link to the MS web page but got confused when I saw this:
Win10ISO.JPG
Now I don't want to seem overly paranoid (a little paranoia helps keep one alive), but I don't trust Microsoft well enough to click on the Update Now button. What I want to do is to download a Win10 ISO complete with everything I need to install Win10 later. I'm taking too many meds - some of them pretty good stuff, btw - to trust myself to go ahead with an install at the moment. My horrible experience last July is still too fresh in my recollection.

Can someone please advise?

:cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

You want the next section "Need to create a USB, DVD, or ISO?" Click the "Download tool now" button.

Joe
Joe

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

^^^
Thanks, Joe!

I had downloaded the tool but not installed it or run it. I think I got gun shy.

Thanks again!!!!
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

BobH wrote:^^^
Thanks, Joe!

I had downloaded the tool but not installed it or run it. I think I got gun shy.

Thanks again!!!!
Did you save it as an ISO file?
Then burn it to a DVD and you can run when you get up the nerve to do so. :smile:
You can also then proceed to make a Dual Boot partition and use the ISO to install as a Custom install in the new partition.
Go for it, Bob!
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Just remember that just because you can install Win10 in another partition or in a VM that does not give you the legal right to acquire a second Windows copy using the same product key. Legally you can't have two active copies of Windows from the same product key. The legal way to do that is to upgrade to Win10 using your Microsoft account to get you digital entitlement and then roll back to your old OS.

Joe
Joe

kdock
5StarLounger

Post by kdock »

Rudi wrote:its a matter of being miserly and securing a FREE, valid and legitimate ISO copy on disc or thumb drive for later installation.
Hey Rudi, so how does this work? I went to the site and the only option seemed to be Upgrade Now.

Is it possible to get the free upgrade and not actually upgrade until one wants to?

Ah... this thread was much longer than I thought. Lots of info on this very subject. :scratch:

Nope. Still confused. I've already got an ISO of Win 10, which I used to upgrade a legit copy of Win 7 on a VM. That worked great. But will I be able to upgrade Win 7 on my main computer next year? Is there a point at which MSFT will turn off activation without payment?

Just wondering... and still :scratch:
"Hmm. What does this button do?" Said everyone before being ejected from a car, blown up, or deleting all the data from the mainframe.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

I'm not Rudi, but I think the answer to your question is that the free upgrade options expires on the 29th of this month. Because of that, I plan to install a dual boot version of Win10 and activate it but use the Win7 boot partition until I feel more secure with Win 10.

Perhaps JoeP, Viking Bob, Rudi, Hans or others will chime in here and correct my misapprehensions.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)