File History bugs

hession
NewLounger

File History bugs

Post by hession »

Heads Up - File History does not seem to work in W10 (it did in W8.1), in that it tends to back up everything in sight, regardless of whether a file has changed or not. This results in an exponential duplication of files backed up, filling up terabites of space on our external hard drives which W10 recommends we use with File History.

From searching "File History bugs" in the Microsoft Community forum, it seems the problem has been known about & widespread since Aug 2015, yet Microsoft have not moved to resolve the (very frustrating) problem yet. Was told this morning by a Microsoft Help(?) Desk that the engineers know about it & are "working hard to resolve it". Do hope they do so SOON.

HansV
Administrator

Re: File History bugs

Post by HansV »

Thanks!
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

I'm personally not on Win10, but thanks for taking the time to share this head-up.
Appreciate it! :thumbup:
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

The bug does not seem to be universal in that there are some files duplicated on my File History drive and some are not. It is easy to run a clean up although the only cleanup option is by age.
Joe

Peter Kinross
5StarLounger

Post by Peter Kinross »

I can vouch for that bug. FH backs up multiple copies (approx 20) of some files at exactly the same time (down to the second) even when computer is not being used. I went away for a 3 day break, came back and my 3Tb drive that had 2.5 Tb free when I left, was full.
This does sort of render FH totally useless. Strange that they have known about it for some time, yet have done nothing to fix it. Hang on, this is Microsoft; not strange at all.
Frustrating especially when you consider that deleting 3Tb of files is no trivial matter - even from the command line it takes a horrendous length of time. I am doing it now as I write this. Heaps of files are "Access denied". Guess i will just have to bite the bullet and format the drive. Grrr Microsoft.
Avagr8day, regards, Peter