Upgrade to Win 10

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Upgrade to Win 10

Post by hlewton »

I am trying to upgrade to Win 10 by clicking the upgrade icon in the systray. I have told it twice to upgrade now but it does nothing. It is on a Win 8.1 machine. How can I make it upgrade?

Thanks
Regards,
hlewton

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Re: Upgrade to Win 10

Post by viking33 »

hlewton wrote:I am trying to upgrade to Win 10 by clicking the upgrade icon in the systray. I have told it twice to upgrade now but it does nothing. It is on a Win 8.1 machine. How can I make it upgrade?

Thanks
Follow this LINK and you should be able to manually download a copy. It's big, so be prepared to wail a while.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thank you. I do have one more question. I downloaded the media creation tool on another computer from the above link. Do I just burn that onto a DVD and then use that DVD on the machine I want to upgrade by clicking on the media creation tool.exe?

I think I figured it out. At least I hope so.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

That should work.
Best wishes,
Hans

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

viking33 wrote:It's big, so be prepared to wail a while.
Oh so true!
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

PaulB wrote:
viking33 wrote:It's big, so be prepared to wail a while.
Oh so true!
In addition to waiting a while! :groan: :thankyou:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Well got it done. Thanks for the help.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Congratulations! :thumbup:
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Well since starting this thread I have "successfully" upgraded 4 laptop computers - 3 of relatives and 1 of a friend. I warned each in turn that if I screwed them up they were on their own and they all agreed. 2 were upgraded from Win 7 and 2 from Win 8.1. The Win 7 machines were by far easier for me because of the way the Win 8.1 were set up. I had a difficult time navigating the "desktop" in Win 8.1 or in 1 instance even finding the start menu. But once that was out of the way the upgrades went OK. 1 stalled on the second check for updates and not really finding any help for what to do on the net I shut it down and started the entire process over again. That seemed to do the trick. How I did these upgrades was using the link supplied above. I downloaded the MediaCreationTool.exe to my computer, copied it to an USB drive, and then copied it to the desktops of the machines I was working on. That really worked well.

I did have a bit of a problem with my daughter's machine. For months now she has not been able to print from her computer. I figured I would remove the printer and uninstall its drivers and software. Removing the printer was easy but I could not uninstall the software and drivers associated with it. I got help from my computer builder by remote assistance, who also could not uninstall them but knew to download and install the latest drivers from the printer's WEB site. While installing those drivers the program removed to old drivers and installed the new ones and her printer is once more working fine. So all in all this was quite a learning experience and I do see what you guys meant by this installation taking a long time.

Again, thanks for the help.
Regards,
hlewton