Using Windows Photo Viewer in Win 10

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Using Windows Photo Viewer in Win 10

Post by hlewton »

I think I mentioned a long time ago that if strange problems exist I am almost sure to find them. I liked using Windows Photo Viewer to view all the photos I take and store on my computer. Windows 10 eliminated that but I found a Registry hack that gave it back to me. It is almost the same as it was in Win 7 with this exception that I have found so far. In the past I would arrange the photos chronologically, click on the top one opening Windows Photo Viewer and use the right arrow shown in the attachment to navigated down the list. Seems the arrows have been reversed for some reason and I have to use the left arrow to navigate in the direction I am used to. I know it is no big deal as long as I remember to use the left arrow but just wondering if there is something that can be modified, even if it is in the Registry, to make the direction arrows seen at the bottom center of the attachment function as they always have in the past?

Thanks
Viewer.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Re: Using Windows Photo Viewer in Win 10

Post by HansV »

Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thanks Hans. I have to ask because I have never created a *.reg file before. I am not at all sure how to do it. I copied the second set of code into both Word and Notepad but found no way to save it as a *.reg file. How should I do this and should I name it something that is identifiable? I have run *.reg files before so I assume once I copy the code, paste it into something that will allow me to save it as a *.reg file all I have to do is double click it to have it modify the Registry.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

.reg files are plain text files. You can save the file as .txt, then close it and change the extension from .txt to .reg in File Explorer.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thank you. I will give that a try.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Seems to be working great. Thanks for the help.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

The sort order I want to view my jpg files is still or maybe again messed up after all the recent Windows updates. I believe I have found the solution but need a bit of advice. I’ll post this link http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1431 ... -10-a.html Step #3 if you want more and specific information. I believe I ran a Registry hack that enables Windows Photo Viewer to be functional it is from the above link and is using "Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00" and I named it "WindowsPhotoViewer.Reg" I thought it was working properly and I am almost certain it was but apparently something changed and I may now need to run Registry hack to enable it to not only run but to run using the same sort order that the files are stored by in Windows Explorer. So my question is, can I run that second Registry hack, shown in above link, to correct the problem or will that cause more problems?

Thanks.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I don't think it'll hurt.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

OK thanks.
Regards,
hlewton

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

As an aside...

If Windows Photo Viewer only works on Win 10 via a reg hack, why not consider an alternative viewer?

Google Picasa is simple and effective and it includes an excellent facial recognition feature. Even though Google retired Picasa earlier this year it looks like you can still download it from Google (I wouldn't get it anywhere else, too risky):
https://picasa.google.co.uk/
Don't be put off by the fact Win 8, 8.1 or 10 are not mentioned as compatible OS. I have Picasa on an 8.1 system and it works fine, no tricks required, it just installed. Hans has mentioned elsewhere in The Lounge that he uses Picasa on 10.

Ken

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Yes, Picasa works without any problems on Windows 10.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

I may give it a try. Thank you both.
Regards,
hlewton

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Have you tried the built-in Photo app? It is easy to use, works touch and non-touch, can do simple automatic photo enhancement, slideshows, and more.
Joe

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I found the native Photos app simple and pleasant to use, but it tends to crash on me from time to time...
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

I found the same thing as Hans did plus, if I remember correctly, I could only rotate photos in one direction and it never seemed to be in the direction I needed, which meant 3 rotations instead of 1. I may not be remembering correctly. I will have to check that out again.
Regards,
hlewton

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

I've not found that the app crashes but I also don't use it all that much. It does appear that rotation is only one direction. Overall, it is fine for what I do with it on the PC.
Joe

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

JoeP wrote:I've not found that the app crashes but I also don't use it all that much. It does appear that rotation is only one direction. Overall, it is fine for what I do with it on the PC.
I thought I remembered that about the rotation. I am going to have to check it out again because what I don't remember is if after rotating and closing the program if it saved the photo in the rotated state like Windows Photo Viewer did.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Yeah it apparently does save it in the rotated state after closing the program.
Regards,
hlewton

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

If there is something you'd like changed or added to the app I encourage you to use the Feedback Hub. Search for what want first. If it is already there upvote it. If not add new feedback. This is one of the primary methods Microsoft is using to get user input about Windows 10 and the Microsoft apps.
Joe

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

JoeP, Thanks for the information.
Regards,
hlewton